It is currently October 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 7:17 pm 

http://theunboundedspirit.com/scientist ... reen-myth/

I guess that might be why Australia has the highest per capita sunscreen use and the highest rates of skin cancer.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 8:50 pm 

Hmmm... tell that to my brother who did not wear sunscreen, always had a great tan from working outside, and who did of the most agressive type of melanomo at age 47, or 3 of my former students who did the same and died at ages 23, 25 and 26. I agree that harmful chemicals that are in some sunscreen may play a role in cancer, but there are healthier options to protect your skin. The report says that the people studies wore sunscreen, but did the apply it properly, in the proper amount and at the right intervals? As the lady who made sure to slip on a shirt and slap on a hat after years of lifeguarding before sunscreens were available, I now definetely apply my suncreen. Having half of my face removed to skin cancer, and then the pain of rebuilding it makes it easy to remember to slop on some sunscreen (I like titanium based or zinc- but not nano-particles) barrier on exposed skin. Everyone should take a look at the long term study, and the resulting graph that makes it easy to see that the rate of suncancer is directly inversely proportional to the amount of skin we cover (i.e. very little in the late 1800's and then a steady increase as the clothes came off).
Just offering up an opposing point of view...

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!