All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 7:58 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3201347

Quote:
Mike Corey prepares for 30 days alone in the wilderness
New Maryland-area man says the 30-day trek into the forest is a rite of passage

By Shane Fowler, CBC News Posted: Aug 24, 2015 6:32 AM AT

To celebrate 30 years of living on this planet, a New Brunswick man will be living in a remote part of it, alone, for a month.

Mike Corey plans to spend the 30 days after turning 30 in isolation in the woods of the New Brunswick interior.

The New Maryland-area resident says he is attempting the excursion in order to take a break from the routine of technology dependency, slow down and perhaps find life's reset button.

"I think lots of us my age are afflicted with this feeling of urgency, being so busy with so many things taking up our time and I think technology is mostly to blame," said Corey.

"I'm not anti-tech, however, I feel myself wrestling with who is in control in my life. Technology? Or myself?"

That`s where the plan to live away from technology came.

"You have to forcefully reclaim some of the time in your life and take some time back and allow yourself time to sit back and think about what is important and who is important," said Corey.

Corey is also choosing to think of the expedition as a rite of passage.

"In North America, we don't have those rites of passages that other cultures do," said Corey.

"In Brazil, they have to put their hand in gloves filled with bullet ants, they have an incredibly painful bite. Or in Vanuatu where they tie vines to their feet and bungee jump. We just don't have that here."

2 weeks worth of food

Corey, who turned 30 on Aug. 24, packed light. He rejected a tent for shelter preferring to take a sleeping bag, hammock, tarps and a mosquito net instead.

Corey has packed enough food for two weeks of his trip. He is relying on fishing and eating wild berries to sustain him for the rest of his expedition. (Submitted by Mike Corey)

"I've packed enough food for two weeks," said Corey.

"I've got a bag of dried beans, a bag of dried rice. Some beef jerky and my mom packed me some homemade macaroons. "

He's confident a fishing rod and wild berries will sustain him for the remainder his woodland stay.

He is leaving his phone at home, relying only a GPS locator to communicate with the outside world. The one-way communication device only pings Corey's location to his friends and family in order to relay his position and status in case of an emergency.

The locator, along with his precise location, sends out four pre-programmed status such as "OK," "In mild distress," or "911" that will be triggered by Corey in relation to his condition.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... ZIDVFE4C4Y

"If he gets halfway through he'll do the whole thing," said Lee Corey, Mike's father, after driving his son out to the woods and leaving him there.

"He does what he sets out to do. We are proud of him."

Jane Corey, Mike's mother, said she's not worried about her son.

"I suspect I'll have my moments," she said.

"But he's smart, he's responsible in where he goes and what he does and I trust him."

Trek took months of planning

Corey, who started his trek into the forest on Sunday afternoon after having a lunch with his parents at the end of a dirt road near where he would enter the wilderness, said he's been planning for this isolation for months.

Corey's pack weighs 70 kg and includes a water purifier, tarps, bear mace, a hatchet and a copy of Henry David Thoreau's Walden. He did not pack toilet paper. (Submitted by Mike Corey)

"I've talked with a lot of people who have done similar things," said Corey.

"They say the biggest challenge is the elements. And the biggest animal problems are the tiniest ones in the water like Giardia, so I'll be purifying all my water."

Corey spent much of the last decade travelling the planet as a video-blogger for high profile clients, such as Microsoft, Skype and the German National Tourism Board.

"But this is home," said Corey.

"I want to sit and be still and really take in where I live."

A video camera will accompany Corey, along with a notebook in order to document the time.

"I think of it as my 'Wilson,' the volleyball from Cast Away," said Corey.

"It will be my diary."

Corey also packed several books, including Henry David Thoreau's Walden.

"I didn't bring any toilet paper though, nature is full of toilet paper," he said.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:55 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Interesting experiences are coming his way! I admit that I don't really get the way he's framed the trip though as a rite of passage and a break from technology (with a Spot device).

Whatever, the main thing is to go and spend a month in the bush. I wish him well and hope the fish are biting!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 12:14 pm 

Quote:
Mike Corey prepares for 30 days.... packed enough food for two weeks.... confident a fishing rod and wild berries will sustain him....But he's smart, he's responsible
Which phrase doesn't belong with the others?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 1:11 pm 

My thoughts exactly. Didn't a Temagami experiment like this go awry? I really hope he at least brought a second rod. I'm all about the adventure.. But be smart about it.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 2:41 pm 

Pretty sure, if the fish aren't co-operating one can build a weir and spear them as they crowd through the opening.

Blueberries yield 100 calories per cup.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 7:52 am 

Well you know, if he's in reasonable health and has planned for some worst-case scenarios, he'll probably be fine. People are tough. If he's chosen to challenge himself this way as a life-altering experience, then more power to him.
The down-side is something going south and Search And Rescue people being put at risk. That particular little cloud hangs over me every time I head into the bush.
Let's presume he's thought it through.
Be safe.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 9:06 am 

I believe the trip that went "south" was a few years ago in Northern Quebec.
If he is doing it now it think it is well past berry season though.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject: That was quick!
PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 2:35 pm 

Rather quick ending to that "story".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3209641
Quote:
Mike Corey signalled for help from his GPS locator unit over the weekend.

The preprogrammed message read: "Hey Guys! I need some help. It may or may not be a big problem, but I'll need a pick-up soon."

"Made a conscious decision to pull out yesterday," he said in a statement to CBC News on Sunday.

"I wasn't hurt or unhappy, just came to some realizations while I was out there," he said.

"A week alone is a very wild experience."

:roll:

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 2:56 pm 

Grrrrrr......there are many people on this site who enter the bush alone for extended periods of time and don't bother stroking their ego with newspaper stories about their "courageous endeavour". I certainly hope he didn't get pulled out by a SAR team. I'd be royally frosted if he involved a SAR team that might have needed to be deployed for an actual emergency, instead of some hipster blogger who got tired of eating granola.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 3:10 pm 

If he used the preprogrammed message on his Spot then it's unlikely that SAR was involved in extracting him.

The whole story is as lame as all get out but some of the comments below the news story are pretty funny.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 6:18 pm 

Talk about cruel comments. :o
At least if he asked here we would have given him a little more helpful info than he received when he planned this thing. :wink:

All us solo guys know you gotta like yourself first! :thumbup:

And if you trying something new pm the help squad here! 8)
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 8:10 pm 

Wow, can't believe he only lasted a week. I mean, I certainly don't have the urge to solo trip - being with my canoe/life partner is about as alone as I want to be - but to put out a story about how he's going to do this and then back out before his food supply even ran out? The fact that he only packed food for two weeks made me chuckle, too. You can never rely on fish and berries. We ate maybe five blueberries in peak season this year. The late spring frost killed them all off early.

Might sound harsh, but it seems like he was totally unprepared. He probably feels pretty embarrassed right now.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 9:05 pm 

Quote:
"This thing is coming at me from the woods, and I can hear it rustling, rustling, rustling and I'm fumbling for my bear spray and I'm yelling, 'Hey you, stop. Stop. Stop. Hey.' And this thing jumps out of the woods and I recoil — and it's a chipmunk," he said.

Reading this, there are only three possible explanations for the existence of this article:

1) The CBC has been bought by theonion.com and is now a full time parody news site. *insert comment regarding government cuts to public service here*

2) The hero of the story AND author of the article have absolutely no insight into their relative incompetence (in bushcraft and journalism respectively), and clearly have no residual feelings of embarrassment.

3) I have dementia, and am confused regarding today's date. It's actually April 1st. Is it 2015 or 2016? Please help.

On the other hand, having read the original article I do appreciate the follow-up with the resolution of this epic journey. Really it would have been an excellent and entertaining story if the writer approached it with insight and explored the reasons for the evacuation.

M

PS. It's 2016, right? Has ice-out happened on Opeongo yet?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 9:24 pm 

Unprepared or not, what outdoorsman can't last 30 days in the bush, or at least long enough to run out of food? When I was his age, I moved into a log cabin I built by myself for 3 months and lived on rice, tuna and whatever I caught, foraged or shot. Fed my retriever too. Not only did I NOT brag about it or seek approval, almost everyone I knew just thought I had lost my way or my mind and didn't understand just how passionate I was about the outdoors. I see some of the soloists or older folk on this forum doing more than him without a second thought and certainly not for publicity.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 3:57 am 

Commentor on the story wrote:
So just to check ... 'he wanted to take a break from the routine of technological dependency' but eventually decided 'to signal for help from his GPS locator unit'.

Anything wrong with this picture? And talking of pictures, is that a solar charger on his rucksack? Technology independence ...not!

@Pronto rep Nah !.. It's a mirror, so when he found himself he would know who it was,

:rofl: