It is currently October 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 8:35 am 

In response to Donald Trump's bid to become KOTUS (King Of The United States) and build a US/Mexico wall, this far-sighted GOP candidate proposes another at the US/Canada border.

Quote:
World Breaking News

US-Canada wall 'legitimate': candidate

August 30, 2015 7:10pm

WISCONSIN Governor Scott Walker, who is seeking the Republican nomination for the White House, says that building a wall between the US and Canada is a legitimate idea to explore.

IMMIGRATION is a hot-button topic in US politics and Donald Trump, the leading Republican contender, has added fuel to the fire by promising to have Mexico pay to build a wall between the United States and its southern neighbour, angering many Hispanics.

Walker told NBC television that security concerns came up in his talks with people in New Hampshire, which borders Canada, and that he would be open to building a wall to secure the northern border as well.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 7505421110

Yawl down there south of the border, all yer pols can't be as crazy as this... can they? How will them good ole boys enforce a wall on the border runnin' down the center of the Great Lakes... closely spaced boats packin' guns an' bullets, I suppose.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 9:28 am 

New Hampshire is heavily dependent on Québécois tourism.
Walker and Trump are both wing nuts and playing to being entertainers
If the wall happened the outcry in Maine would be stupendous. We have 1100 km of border and it all goes through almost uninhabited areas
Need another province? We'll be right over
Stop listening to Republicans. The party of fear

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 10:48 am 

Whew, had me going there for a moment. So maybe there won't be another war like in 1812.... below is a Canadian version of history, I make no claims to it's historical accuracy.

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVC677-YmfM

Watching the Canadian electioneering is turning out to be interesting since it's so close and the American campaigning also (sheesh, Trump on one side and Sanders on the other).

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 1:36 pm 

All in favor of Bernie

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 7:06 am 

Gaza is 11 km by 51 km. For the metrically challenged, that is 6.8 miles by 32 miles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_Strip
The Israelis have built a wall and patrol the border heavily.
Hamas was still able to tunnel under the wall into Israel and attack targets; of course, they also tunnelled into Egypt.
And some want to build a wall across the Mexican border, now ours!
What next, mine fields?

EDIT:
Thinking I should invest, if possible, in a set of US licence plates, for use when I drive south.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 9:38 am 

Quote:
What next, mine fields?

Great idea... solves what to do with Great Lakes border protection very nicely.

Actually the bigger problem might be how to keep American tourists IN since the loonie is so low. The border war might escalate Korea-style with Canadian loudspeakers blaring COME ON OVER THE WALL WE LOVE YER GREENBACKS!!! BACON AND MAPLE SYRUP ON SALE!!!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 11:11 am 

I had a real issue with maple syrup. Some Canadian eatery waitstaff wouldn't know real maple syrup if they fell in it. Newfoundlandlacks sugar stands and we sampled some truly awful "maple syrup". Waitstaff had insisted it was real
I carry my own
Now as to that Wall. There will be a bit of trouble building it between Maine and Nova Scotia. The Atlantic is deep. So is Passamaquoddy Bay between Maine and New Brunswick. The pols are clearly not thinking

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 1:25 pm 

Mines in the water too!

How about poison-gas canisters with trip wires? Less noisy than mines, and so less likely to chase others back where they came from, and so more likely to finish off more. Gotta watch the wind direction though.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 4:28 pm 

Y'all / Yous Guys might enjoy this video about the border.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkYlIA7mgw

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 6:19 pm 

If we can't get the trees to obey (no clear cut border in Woodstock/Houlton who's going to make the mines obey?
The trees have taken over!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 7:42 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:

Not sure about that, but a dead stump has more common sense than those guys put together!!(and we thought we had crummy politicos up here)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 8:27 pm 

wotrock wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:

Not sure about that, but a dead stump has more common sense than those guys put together!!(and we thought we had crummy politicos up here)

Hey you only have to endure through Oct. We have to make it through NEXT Oct !
If Trump wins I'm heading for Newfoundland. Permanently Got some houses scoped out

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 8:41 pm 

I say, let them go ahead and build the Canada/U.S.A. fence. Of course, the fence would work both ways, i.e., no south-bound shipments of our oil via the proposed Keystone pipeline, no raw or smelted ores including iron, nickel, silver, gold, platinum, chromium, etc. to name but a few. And, above all, no consideration of the world's largest source of fresh water. Hmmm!

U.S. TV networks are available to all Canadians who subscribe to cable or satellite providers. We are well aware of the crazies who espouse such ridiculous proposals as this and we laugh aloud at the hipocracy and ignorance with which they are put forward. Enough said!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2015, 4:24 pm 

Gov. Walker is another right-wing lunatic. It's amazing how the Republican Party, a group of aging dinosaurs--nostalgic for the 1950s--produces so many of these types. Your PM Harper fits in well with them, so the mindset is not unique to the USA.