It is currently October 15th, 2019, 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant in the Room
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:07 pm 

Alan,

No doubt you are aware that at least 1 school board as well as Can Girl Guides have also cancelled their trips for the same reason that you have. Have Boy Scouts Canada made any decisions in this regard?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:24 pm 

Yes I know that Girl Guides Canada has forbidden all travel to the USA for exactly the reasons I have noted above. As far as I know Scouts Canada has not made the same decision.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:26 pm 

To littleredcanoe's point, remember that while the electoral college put a loose cannon at the helm, the popular vote didn't ... that means the majority of Americans, feel the same way I think the majority of we Canadians (except for the ones whose climate change beliefs are based on their investment portfolios rather than science) feel about the current POTUS.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:43 pm 

So much for the 'checks and balances' with the electoral college! If they had done the job they were supposed to be doing---sober second thought and all that---some of them would have had the guts to put their country ahead of their politics and would have blocked the ego that walks like a man from becoming prez.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 10:14 pm 

Not sure that the role of the electoral college is "checks and balances" or "sober second thought" as much as casting their partisan votes for the party that carried the popular vote in the state in which they were appointed to represent the party that won the popular vote.
(Both the Reps and Dems appoint electors, but only the electors from the side that wins the popular vote actually cast their college votes (correct me if I'm wrong lrc).

I really thought that the Koch brothers, who control the GOP. but have no control over T-rumpus Rex, would use their gazillions of dark money dollars to turn Rep. electors into "faithless electors" (especially in states where it was only a pledge to a political party and not a state law (that an elector had to cast his vote for the state's pop. vote winner)) who would vote against Deet-rump even though they were card carrying Reps. ... though the best we could have hoped for would be to have Pence in charge and that carries a whole lot of other baggage.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 1:50 am 

Last edited by Sam82 on June 6th, 2017, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 6:36 am 

Well, this Administration has certainly made me make some actual changes in terms of paddling. This summer, we are heading east to the Miramichi. I am a dual citizen (Can & US ) but my wife is Canadian. Whereas, in times past, we would have save a day's driving by cutting through the US into NB, this year we are going the long way round through the Gaspe, simply because I will not tolerate the possible bullcrap at the Border. :(

And on the topic of climate change - these gulls are perched on the very top of what is usually a 5-foot-high breakwater (last weekend) :x ..........

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 10:27 am 

What is with the "He who shall not be named" routine? We know who that term is usually reserved for.

I have family in the US and travel there several times a year. I understand the concern about Trump (yup, I said his name) "tightening the borders". But many of the concerns mentioned here are not new policies. They have always been able to say "Give me your cellphone and password or you can't come into the US.". The Canadian guards do the same thing if they have cause for concern.

I remember on a family driving trip to Florida where the US boarder guard got suspicious of us (still not sure why) and we were subject to an exhaustive interrogation. He uncovered that one of the family members traveling with us had a record for white collar crime (nothing major - I think it resulted in a fine) dating back 25+ years. He was placed in handcuffs, patted down and taken into a back room. After a 6 hour delay, we were denied entry and sent home. And that was during the Clinton administration. We don't blame Clinton for this.

I think the media is reporting on boarder entry issues a lot more because of the who the leader is and what his policies are. And what is implied in these stories is that people were denied entry because of him. I know I've read stories in the media about people being up in arms about being denied entry because of Trump (that name!), but if you look at the circumstances, they wouldn't have been allowed in regardless of who was in charge.

My wife and I were almost denied entry traveling to Texas for Christmas because I didn't have the address I was staying at. I figured I didn't need it because I was getting picked up at the airport. I was told I wouldn't be allowed in without the address...luckily I found it on my phone. Again, this was pre-Trump (yup, said his name again).

I can't speak to the issue of traveling with kids from some of the "banned" countries. Though I would have thought traveling under Canadian passport would have excluded them from that. It is a shame the Scouts can't enjoy the trip this year.

I enjoy travelling to the US and will continue to do so regardless of who is elected.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 8:11 pm 

Well that didn’t turn out the way that I had hoped when I started this thread.
Let me explain.
I think that most Canadians are puzzled by the policies of the US president, Donald Trump. I can’t understand the justification for what he is doing and I don’t think that I am alone. But I would really like to understand.
I had hoped that one of his many supporters in the US would help us out by explaining these policies and the reasons behind them.
How are they going to help the citizens of the US (and hopefully others too)?
What are the reasons for the policies?
Indeed, why did you vote for him?
I am not out to criticize you. I would just like to hear from you.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 9:49 pm 

Jim,

I think you will search in vain for a RATIONAL explanation. You might find emotional ones, but not a rational one.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 10:23 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Jim,

I think you will search in vain for a RATIONAL explanation. You might find emotional ones, but not a rational one.

Apparently no myccr members in the US want to explain the policies of their president- either rationally or emotionally.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 2:36 am 

You are not alone. Even the White House doesn't understand his policies. He tweets and looks at TV. Books uh uh,
And you want ME to explain HIM? :rofl:
I can note that he has gotten nothing done substantially in four months. His tactic of deal making does not work. He comes on strong in a viewpoint, the other side fights back and he backs down or out.. and cries like a two year old

I am not of a persecuted race or religion so I can only say for myself that whatever he is doing isn't affecting anyone yet.

Oh aside from the border. Canadian Customs is not as welcoming. Anectdotally I had two friends in the canoe business detained for hours at the border. That may be par for the course in the future which is a deterrent for Scout groups for sure

This Paris Accord pulling out.. Its being ignored publicly by businesses intent on making money.. Which is in non polluting energy. Its also been ignored by Pittsburgh and Boston mayors that I know of and the former mayor of NYC will put money privately into the Accord

The Executive Branch blusters fumbles and the common sense world carries on without him.

Extreme right news http://www.breitbart.com/

same news the Euro slant http://www.bbc.com/

Domestically https://www.washingtonpost.com/

each day he shoots himself in the foot again.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 5:03 am 

Looking for someone to blame? You can blame policies of 44 and related ilk for the reactionary rise of 45 (who was not my first choice in the initial field of choices). I am soon heading north of the border and will be in Canada for the next 3 weeks, driving on my way with canoe to the Yukon River Quest. Should I worry about alan's reaction to my license plate?

Last edited by nessmuk on June 6th, 2017, 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 6:54 am 

My apologies for the ignorant behaviour of some of my countrymen regarding our US guests.
I have read reports of similar behaviour regarding cars with Canadian plates.
In neither case do I know how serious or numerous the incidents are.

To my fellow Canadians: Roughly half the US population agrees with most of us.
Time to tame the rhetoric! We have too much in common.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 7:50 am 

I'm not looking for anyone to blame.. I just watched a Nat Geo program on the CiA activities of the 50's. That was shameful what they did.. experiments to see if a Manchurian candidate was possible
No country is or has ever been ideal. I mentioned my license as we had a bit of trouble with a diner in a Wawa restaurant who kept lambasting us and demanding we explain Trump last summer. His other table mates were quite embarrassed.

I don't know if half the population agrees with you and it really doesn't matter. 90 million eligible voters did not vote. 120 million did.You can see there is a lot of the pie that we don't know about. I spent the weekend with some canoe friends at an event and some of them are pro Trump for mostly wanting less government interference. I just listened and they did not rant and rave.. Sometimes I want less government interference too. But health care and clean water and unpolluted air I think are legitimate things for government to supply. My conservative friends pointed out that the marketplace is moving to supply the same though I totally disagree on health care.

But we have a common love of canoeing and that is all that matters.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next