It is currently December 6th, 2019, 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant in the Room
PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 7:13 am 

I think our Foreign Minister said it quite well. It may not be Trump's intention, but the effect of his actions is to have the USA "shrug off the burden of world leadership".

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Last edited by wotrock on June 8th, 2017, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 7:52 am 

http://www.businessinsider.com/canada-c ... ump-2017-6

Yes. He wants to be king of his sandbox. Kind of meaningless when there is no one else in the box to make the DEAL with.

But its almost popcorn time.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... .html?_r=0

Last edited by littleredcanoe on June 8th, 2017, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 7:53 am 

wotrock wrote:
I think our Foreign Minister said it quite well. It may not be Trump's intention, but the effect of his actions is to have the USA "shrub off the burden of world leadership".

Is any one giving odds on whether Russia or China will fill the void?

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 10:46 am 

According to https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/navig ... 49743.html:
1: "Maclean’s points to U.S. government statistics as showing refusals of Canadians at American land crossings dropped 8.5 per cent between October 2016 and the end of February compared with the same five-month period a year earlier. It also reported that the refusal rate was 0.05 percent in that same time frame, down from 0.06 at the same period from 2015 to 2016."
2: "The Globe and Mail, meanwhile, compiled numbers from agencies in Canada and the United States, claiming the number of people who were turned away by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents increased by 6.7 per cent in 2016 from the year before."

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 11:40 am 

Just anectdotally, Nine Canadians I spoke to last weekend had no trouble whatsoever. They were all white and had crossed before though.
The weekend before I talked to four US Citizens who had crossed to Canada. No issues whatsoever. All had crossed before.

They all remarked that they had learned never to utter the word "work". One person said that a US citizen they knew was refused entry to Canada because they uttered the word "help teach" and had no work papers.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 2:49 pm 

Finally last week I travelled to the US and back.
Non-smiling US border guard was asking very serious questions very seriously.
Apparently it was very serious business as usual.
I have not noticed any change.

It seems to me that Girl Guides, Boy Scouts etc. just used those kids as pawns in their ideological war against Trump.
Shame on all of us that we allowed this.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 7:36 pm 

Yes, shame on humanity for our clumsy efforts to resist right wing extremism. Yes, much better to politely endorse misogynistic, racist, homophobic rule by the billionaire class while praying for a shot or two of trickle-down prosperity.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

The Guides had a very good reason to cancel the trips which they explained very well in the press at the time. One quick trip South does nothing to refute their reasoning. Maybe talk to a few Muslins or even Sikhs have have tried to cross lately. Prob a different story.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:12 am 

martin2007 wrote:
Yes, shame on humanity for our clumsy efforts to resist right wing extremism. Yes, much better to politely endorse misogynistic, racist, homophobic rule by the billionaire class while praying for a shot or two of trickle-down prosperity.

I think that is over the top. You are spewing vitriol at a very large percentage of our American neighbors who voted for him and support him.

Do you get this up in arms every time you fill up your car and realize a large portion of the fuel you are buying comes from countries where women basically have no rights and same-sex relationships are illegal? That is real extremism, misogyny and homophobia. We support those countries every time we purchase their oil and no one says anything.

Trump is an abrasive loudmouth, no doubt. And many of us don't like his policies, but let's put it in perspective.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 8:56 am 

Rob I didn't read Martins comments that way.. DT won mostly IMO because a third of eligible voters didn't vote. It really was an evil race and votes based on the lesser of two not popular candidates. I think fairy dust got into the Republican voters eyes to some extent and they now regret having voted the way they did.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 9:08 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Rob I didn't read Martins comments that way.. DT won mostly IMO because a third of eligible voters didn't vote. It really was an evil race and votes based on the lesser of two not popular candidates. I think fairy dust got into the Republican voters eyes to some extent and they now regret having voted the way they did.

I am still puzzled.
Is it really true that the MAJORITY of the Republican voters regret having voted the way that they did?

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 9:27 am 

I can't say the majority at all. But the election turnout was only 58 percent. I have heard of a few misgivings. But i am not a pollster.

Misgivings mostly from District 2 in Maine who fell for the rosy" I am for the people". Now see that there will be cuts and no healthcare for 112000 of them which is about a fifth of the population and looking at many rural hospitals closing. Of course this will not be overnight..2020

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/vot ... elections/

and from all places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECgN2Ter48

If DT can't get things going his bluff is going to be called.. Not that I agree with the things he wants to get going.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 9:35 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:

Very interesting. Thank you littleredcanoe.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 10:31 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:

I live in a very RED state and disagree with your last comment. People here think he is doing a fantastic job. The perspective from living in a very red state seems much different than yours.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 10:46 am 

The funny thing is I don't see him doing anything really other than tweeting.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next