It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 10:43 pm 

Some of you head south to paddle in the Canadian hard water season.
This has happened to me: middle of the night, low on gas, exit freeway to fill up. Station is self-serve, building is closed and locked up. Swipe Visa card at pump. Pump says "enter your zip code". Entering "K0B 2B0" doesn't work. Arrggg!!!!!
I once heard of a "trick" - entering zeroes instead of the alphabetic digits for the first 5 characters of the postal code or something like that.
So K0B 2B0 would be 00020.
Anybody know about this?

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 11:37 pm 

The only place I've ever had trouble using a credit card is at gas stations, I've learned to always have some cash on hand.

This experience is only Canadian so I can't help you with the post/zip code thing but it wouldn't surprise me if some of these places won't accept foreign cards no matter what.

Have you had the same issue paying inside as opposed to the pump?

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 6:45 am 

Yes - I stopped at a gas station in Vermont, close to the border, that had laminated instructions taped to their pumps stating as much.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 7:23 am 

It's only the gas pumps that ask for a zip code. If there's an attendant then I can use the machine inside to credit the pump. It doesn't ask for a zip code and the card works fine.

Thanks Scratchy.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 7:27 am 

Hi Krusty,
The answer is:
If prompted for your ZIP code, just enter the three digits of your postal code plus two zeros. So for example, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, the 5 digit number you should enter is 23400. Contact you card issuer if you have any questions.
Your example of K0B 2B0 would translate to 02000.
I hope that you are well and it does sound like you continue to paddle, so that is good. Good memories of the Soper River.
Rick

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 10:40 am 

Hey Rick;
Good to hear from you. Yeah, I can't do the northern trips any more. Can barely drag my failing body over the portages, let alone that mother of a heavy boat. So I do mostly little flat-water trips in the summer and a lot of paddling in mostly-flat Florida this time of year. Heading down there in a few days so I'll get to try your formula. It's a Royal Bank Visa so thing should work.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm 

I have done the same trick as Rick suggested, another option is to go inside and prepay.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 6:37 pm 

Krusty wrote:
Hey Rick;
Good to hear from you. Yeah, I can't do the northern trips any more. Can barely drag my failing body over the portages, let alone that mother of a heavy boat. So I do mostly little flat-water trips in the summer and a lot of paddling in mostly-flat Florida this time of year. Heading down there in a few days so I'll get to try your formula. It's a Royal Bank Visa so thing should work.

Have a good trip Krusty. Florida is haven for scam readers. Devices inserted into the card readers by crooks surreptitiously. We have had trouble with cards in Florida for a couple of years and we are not even local. Now it is our personal policy on the road to ALWAYS.
ALWAYS
ALWAYS go inside and sign a slip for your credit card purchase. No way am I sticking ANYTHING into a card reader in FL. And we are US folks'
Don't forget to contact your card company that you are travelling to the US. Otherwise they may rightly ( for your protection ) decline the purchase.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2020, 11:03 am 

Agree with the going inside where possible thing. The issue is at unattended stations, like in the middle of the night.
Thx for the well wishes LRC. Plans have already been disrupted by COVID-19. My paddling partner may have been on that cruise ship that's currently quarantined in Luxor Egypt. Health Canada has asked him to self-isolate for 14 days, which screws-up his flight reservations to come join me in Florida and the various reservation dates we've made down there.
I'm still going as planned. As a +65 year old male with pre-existing conditions I'm in the highest risk group. Figure the best place for me is away from people, like camped on a wooden platform in the middle of the Okefenokee Swamp.

Edited to add that I'm not in the absolute highest risk group. I'm not immune compromised and despite increased age-related frailty am still robust enough to survive the infection. Probably.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 5:34 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

I have used that number trick a number of times & it definitely does not always work - less than 50% of the time have I had success! As a Canadian, I find it very frustrating buying gas in the US!!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
I have used that number trick a number of times & it definitely does not always work - less than 50% of the time have I had success! As a Canadian, I find it very frustrating buying gas in the US!!

I spent December and part of January driving down, around southern Florida, and back and only once had it not work. About the same frequency of problem as using it in Ontario at the pumps.

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 6:57 pm 

Krusty wrote:
Agree with the going inside where possible thing. The issue is at unattended stations, like in the middle of the night.
Thx for the well wishes LRC. Plans have already been disrupted by COVID-19. My paddling partner may have been on that cruise ship that's currently quarantined in Luxor Egypt. Health Canada has asked him to self-isolate for 14 days, which screws-up his flight reservations to come join me in Florida and the various reservation dates we've made down there.
I'm still going as planned. As a +65 year old male with pre-existing conditions I'm in the highest risk group. Figure the best place for me is away from people, like camped on a wooden platform in the middle of the Okefenokee Swamp.

Edited to add that I'm not in the absolute highest risk group. I'm not immune compromised and despite increased age-related frailty am still robust enough to survive the infection. Probably.

Go. Just go. At your age you know how you want to spend your final days. Our neighbors are the same age as we are. They said as we are all elderly we should not venture out of the house. There is a ONE GALLON jug of hand sanitizer on their kitchen island

I said F** that. I am not spending what is left of my life in fear in a bubble.

We leave next week with canoes on a cross country trip. We probably wont use them except in Utah(Green RIver) and Florida( Apalachicola) but anyhow they go.

I do have to scrounge up some sanitizer for the TP roll while canoeing. E Coli is not my friend. I could care less about Covid 19 which is not a new thing. Its just a hyped thing. Its not new.

Watch out for da ignored bad boy da flu.

What are the penalties Krusty if your pal decides to self quarantine on a paired solo canoe trip? Seems ideal to me.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 2:16 pm 

Little red: I hope you are on the road. Enjoy.

Dam our politicians, not our rivers.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 3:24 pm 

no not yet. Covid 19 is new and social isolation seems to be key to avoid community spread. We haven't gone yet but are packing
We are pretty isolated camping. And at home I never have people to meet. I could still get it as I am in the age group with highest mortality
but dammit I refuse to lock myself in the house as my neighbors are doing.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 7:16 am 

Yesterday shopping for groceries, huge lineups like never before with people stocking up, probably worried that supplies will disappear. Did not see anybody with symptoms but lots of close congestion and people pawing this and that.