It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 9:24 am 

Hiker Neil wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
When you decide to visit the best Province I have the guidebook to the Eastern Trail.
But right now they don't want you in NL.

This it?
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-616/ ... qcQAvD_BwE

Yup.. One can never have too many guidebooks

and this to further tempt you https://matadornetwork.com/read/hikers- ... foundland/

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 10:59 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

wotrock wrote:
Gros Morne has some serious and challenging hiking. A bit wilder than the E Coast Trail. If you enjoy seascapes rather than mountainous terrain though, the E Coast Trail has that in spades.

In 2010 we stayed in Gros Morne and did a bunch of hiking including the Long Range backpack traverse and a traverse of Tablelands. Awesome!
https://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%2 ... index.html

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 6:06 am 

Well it looks like a trip across Ontario is "on". I've been researching the suggestions made above and it looks like a great trip is in the making.

I've been looking at Killarney and wonder if The Crack trail will be a conga line. It looks incredible though and one can always start pre-dawn to beat the crowds.

I see on the Parks Ont. site that there is a walk-in fee for Killarney that is a lot less than driving in. Does anyone know about that?

Off-topic:
Here is a picture set from our backpack in Les Monts Groulx last week.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82763775@ ... 5088086238

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 11:59 am 

Those fees are weird, walk-in from where? Do they let you park at the Visitor Centre and walk in from there???? If not I can't imagine very many people can actually "walk-in" unless they were staying at a lodge in the town of Killarney but that is 10km from the park entrance.

One more thing, I don't know how long your trip is, maybe on the way back would be better timing for Killarney, in my opinion Killarney is at it's best in the Fall when the leaves are changing, the colour of oaks and maples against the white quartz hills is almost unique to that small area of Killarney.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 12:24 pm 

Re: walk-in fees. No explanation offered on the site but scroll down and you will see them.
https://www.ontarioparks.com/fees/dayuse/2020

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 4:20 pm 

yeah I saw the fees....

I just had a thought, maybe the walk in fees are for the winter when the gate is closed but walk-in for the trail is possible since I believe the trail is normally available year round.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 5:16 pm 

You can walk in directly from the highway. That must be why it has been so busy for the last few years. I expect that day trippers from Sudbury account for many of the 'crowds'. Earlier on that access pt was a bit of a secret. IMO, the Crack is better than Silver Peak

I think in mid-week it would be pretty good. Nice hike up the hill anyway even if it is a bit busy at the top. If so, you could hike a bit further along the trail.
There are also some nice, but short, trails along the coast. I think you need to get a taxi to the nearby island to get to one of them.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 7:48 am 

The Crack is well-known and the trail there probably includes screaming kids and barking dogs mid-July... the view is great once you're there, you've probably seen all kinds of pictures. Still, expect others settling in to enjoy the view after the long hike in, tripods, photography, selfies, food, beverage.

The other end of the trail starting at the George lake outlet leads to some quieter spots... there are lower cliffs on the right paralleling the trail, see the top map. And left of the trail there is a peak overlooking Lumsden lake with a view out over Georgian Bay. More ambitious and maybe too much, the trail can be used to begin access to bushwhacking over the open quartzite rocks (no trail) to get to the cliffs overlooking George lake and further, to the Gulch Hill area which has great views towards Silver peak overlooking OSA and the eastern of the two peaks that make up GH is the 2nd highest in the park IIRC.

The Tarvat trail off the airport road in the village of Killarney is a good free walk and maybe not that crowded, being outside the PP along the GB coast with features and maybe swimming. And after that there's the fish and chips in town... enjoy!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 9:30 am 

frozentripper wrote:
The Crack is well-known and the trail there probably includes screaming kids and barking dogs mid-July... the view is great once you're there, you've probably seen all kinds of pictures. Still, expect others settling in to enjoy the view after the long hike in, tripods, photography, selfies, food, beverage.

No drones?
Quote:
The other end of the trail starting at the George lake outlet leads to some quieter spots... there are lower cliffs on the right paralleling the trail, see the top map. And left of the trail there is a peak overlooking Lumsden lake with a view out over Georgian Bay. More ambitious and maybe too much, the trail can be used to begin access to bushwhacking over the open quartzite rocks (no trail) to get to the cliffs overlooking George lake and further, to the Gulch Hill area which has great views towards Silver peak overlooking OSA and the eastern of the two peaks that make up GH is the 2nd highest in the park IIRC.

Excellent info. Thanks!
For mapping I'll probably use a phone app (Gaia) backed up with something printed off my PC. I tend to rely heavily on Caltopo. Something like this with more detail. https://caltopo.com/m/E16D

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 5:36 am 

Considering we'll be driving back to Montreal from Kenora after our visit we can save some of the features for the return trip. It'll be later in the season so perhaps the more popular destinations, being less busy, could be visited at the later date. Probably in the last week of August.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2020, 4:40 pm 

Quick wrap-up: (the advice was excellent, thanks!)

We first visited friends on Manitoulin Island and hiked the Cup and Saucer Trail, kayaked on L. Huron out of Michael Bay and hung out. Then we did a couple of day hikes plus an overnight along the coastal trail in L Sup Prov Park. After that we did Mt Gwynne near Schreiber (Casque Ilses Trail system). Next up was Sleeping Giant before spending 5 days on Lake of the Woods visiting family. On the way home we did some hiking along the Nipigon R, in Pukaskwa Nat Park and then back for more in L Sup PP before spending 5 days in Killarney hiking and paddling. Finally we hung out with the same friends on Manitoulin and spent a half-day walking along the shore of Huron in high winds.
Total trip time was 5 weeks and we put 6,000 km on our van.

I learned at least this: Northern Ontario has a lot of Spruce and Pine trees as well as abundant LCBO's.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2020, 9:18 pm 

Wowee, you hit a lot of trails.