It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2020, 3:52 pm 

Trying to get in touch with Hoop. No luck on You tube channel or here, no PM response. Last post here about 3 years ago and last video on You tube about 6 months ago. Wintertrekker site does not load anymore.
Where is he? Should I ask Harlan? Hoop is in Thunder Bay area.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2020, 11:16 pm 

sent you a pm

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2020, 2:22 pm 

I haven’t been in touch with him for a bit.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2020, 2:23 pm 

Otter Mel wrote:
Trying to get in touch with Hoop. No luck on You tube channel or here, no PM response. Last post here about 3 years ago and last video on You tube about 6 months ago. Wintertrekker site does not load anymore.
Where is he? Should I ask Harlan? Hoop is in Thunder Bay area.

I've been wondering the same thing. ....

PostPosted: December 16th, 2022, 1:18 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

This is just hearsay but I asked around a little bit and was told that he has been seen on the streets of Thunder Bay. So I am only confirming that from what I have been told, HOOP_ is still alive.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2022, 4:37 pm 

All the best to the man,I benefited greatly from the knowledge he shared on his posts.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2022, 6:27 pm 

likewise,
but i think what i liked about him most was his attitude and way,

i'm sure he's alive (i mean, nothing suggests he's not)
(anymore than suggests that his condition at this time is preventing trips; the associated disappointment could easily discourage talking about them).

all the best to you hoop, and thank you for all you've shared and inspired,

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2022, 5:10 pm 

There are a lot of good YT trip vids but IMHO the two Hoop did, Savant and Woodland Car are the BEST. I can say that honestly because I've watched both multiple times lol.

His knowledge of backcountry camping, plants, the history of the area(s), the people, on & on & on is simply awesome. I do miss the fact that he doesn't seem to do it anymore, or maybe he just doesn't record it idk.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2024, 9:21 am 

I have been wondering the same thing. He gave me some advice some time ago and I was always very appreciative of that. Loved his TR's. I hope he is ok.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2024, 9:21 am 

I have been wondering the same thing. He gave me some advice some time ago and I was always very appreciative of that. Loved his TR's. I hope he is ok.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2024, 12:24 pm 

Viking1 wrote:

He was at a winter camping symposium that I attended a few years back but hasn't surfaced since. I was disappointed when wintertrekking went down. It was such a great forum. With some notice from him I'm sure that someone would have taken over the forum....

PostPosted: January 29th, 2024, 3:47 pm 

I don't know him as a friend or even acquaintance, but I have recognized him while out skiing a couple of times over the last few years and we have had conversations on a couple of occasions. I expressed my gratitude and appreciation for his Youtube content and how it has shaped and influenced my outdoors experience - particularly in the realm of hot tenting. I didn't ask and we didn't talk about his lack of presence online, wintertrekking, etc. but it would not surprise me if he just got tired of the scene. In creating the wintertrekking forum and being an early adopter of Youtubing his trips, he was a pioneer in sharing outdoors experiences and creating community in online spaces. He created content before people had jobs as "content creators" and when more people gathered in forums rather than massive social media platforms and when the internet was generally much less commercialized. All this to say that he is alive and doing his thing and perhaps he's a bit of an enigmatic character in that at a time when people were clamoring to build their online presence and gain followers and fame he did the opposite: turned of the lights and went radio silent.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2024, 11:13 pm 

i have a vague memory of someone posting here on ccr, as its own separate thread, somewhere in 2023 (i am very sure it was then, not 100%), that he had passed away. it was a short notice, and then out.
i have also seen a youtube comment stating that his family had given the news that he had passed. that was more or less my understanding since (not 100% convinced). i just tried searching for that thread, but cannot find it. does anyone recall seeing that thread on ccr?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2024, 11:44 am 

Jeudepuissance wrote:
In creating the wintertrekking forum and being an early adopter of Youtubing his trips, he was a pioneer in sharing outdoors experiences and creating community in online spaces. He created content before people had jobs as "content creators" and when more people gathered in forums rather than massive social media platforms and when the internet was generally much less commercialized. All this to say that he is alive and doing his thing and perhaps he's a bit of an enigmatic character in that at a time when people were clamoring to build their online presence and gain followers and fame he did the opposite: turned of the lights and went radio silent.

If that is the case kudos to him. but wintertrekking was such an awesome forum I don't see why he would have not given someone else the opportunity to take over hosting/admin duties.. Heck, even I would have lent a hand. It seems strange because when I saw him speak at a winter camping symposium (I can't remember the date but it was pre covid) he seemed 100% invested in being involved.. I have to think something else is at play here.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2024, 10:22 pm 

i figured out a way to search prior to 1 year from today, by altering the url.
i cannot find anything.
i don't understand how i can have so concrete a memory of that notice, while not being able to recall exact wording, or being able to find the post.
please disregard my message. i must be confusing things.