It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help Posting Pictures
PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 10:21 am 

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could help me figure out how to post pictures on this forum.

In the editing window, I see the "Ima" button but all that seems to do is insert some code into my post.

On other forums I am on if you have a picture to upload you have to add it as an attachment to your post. I do see the "upload attachment" function below the composing window, but every time I try to upload a pic I get a red error message.

Some times that message says that my image dimensions are not right, though these are just standard cell phone pics.

Other times the message tells me that the dimensions could not be determined, please check the URL, despite that I was trying to upload a photo from my own device, not a URL.

So, can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 5:56 am 

Some folks are able to do it with ease. I gave up trying, long ago.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 8:12 am 

The size limitations are so restrictive that many of us have given upon pix

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 10:12 am 

Storing the photos on Flickr will allow you to choose a variety of sizes to paste in the post here... the largest at 3968x2976 pixels will not show but choosing "medium" at 800x600 will squeeze through.

Just tried both sizes, large and medium, and the smaller one does appear...

There are other ways to reduce pixel size in Win 10 incl IIRC "resize" after right-clicking the image but the Flickr option is so easy I've never tried any other way.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 10:47 am 

so can you resize and download several at a time to post on here?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 10:59 am 

On Flickr, choose medium for each photo, copy BBcode and paste, one at a time. In Win 10, resize one at a time (IIRC)...

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 11:17 am 

Thanks everyone. That's a little surprising to me that the admin here would depend on a third party service. The other forums I'm involved with moved away from third party hosted pics after the ruffle with photo-bucket - which left thousands of posts suddenly indecipherable when the pics disappeared when photo-bucket unilaterally changed their terms.

We should hope flickr doesn't do the same thing some day and ruin all the posts here.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 12:39 pm 

Callee, MYCCR hasn't chosen Flickr to host photos, it's my choice since it's easy to paste them into posts and all my photos are there. Good luck.

PS... I should try the "upload attachment" at the bottom of the page to MYCCR to find out how to upload a photo that way.... I don't think I've ever tried it. Maybe later...

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm 

It's actually (sort of) simple.......but not very intuitive.

Using the Full Editor

Scroll down to the attachment section.

Browse your computer for the image file
Click Add The File (make sure the image you select is 800px or less in width)
Now you will see a drop down list of Attachments and just to the right "Place Inline" click on that and the image will be inserted wherever your cursor is located in your message text.

You can add a bunch of attachments and then later place them in the location(s) you want.

Attachment:
sam_at_C5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 1:51 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Callee, MYCCR hasn't chosen Flickr to host photos, it's my choice since it's easy to paste them into posts and all my photos are there. Good luck.

PS... I should try the "upload attachment" at the bottom of the page to MYCCR to find out how to upload a photo that way.... I don't think I've ever tried it. Maybe later...

Thanks Frozen. sorry, I didn't mean to imply that MYCCR formally chose Flickr, what I mean is it's an effective choice; what I mean is, third party sites like Flickr typically accept any size photo and will auto-resize as needed. That makes using them really easy, which in turn makes them popular - because they're so easy.

On a forum like this, there are settings for what size photos to accept and there are options available to have them auto-resize. If a forum operator wants to, they can make it just as easy to post pics on the forum as it is on a site like Flickr. But if the forum instead has size restrictions, it makes it more difficult to post pics, which in turn drives posters to use the easier third party sites.

Bottom line, if a forum operator wants people to upload their photos directly to the forum, they remove the size restrictions and enable auto-resize. If they would rather people use a third party site to host the photos, then they simply leave the size restrictions in place and people will naturally prefer the third party sites. So it's an effective choice.

Some forum operators prefer to nudge their users towards third party sites because it reduces their own storage requirements. But while you save some storage space, as I said above you run the risk of a third party site abruptly changing their terms and ruining a bunch of posts with disappearing pics.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 3:35 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Please have a look at page 4 of The "Ask us how" thread in the General Discussion Forum.

It seems that the only limitation is the width of no greater than 800 pixels.
In defence of this website; it is operated by a team of volunteers on a budget of less than $3000 annually, using Drupal, which is modular freeware. There are obviously limits to the amount of material that can be stored and yet I believe that this may be the most heavily trafficked canoeing specific website on the internet. The limit of 800 pixels is probably original to the last time the site was updated, and unfortunately I don't know when that was actually.

Either way, this is just a complicated way of saying that storing large pictures does cost money, and of course we don't have any for that, sorry.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 4:02 pm 

Thanks for your response eberlym. And for sure I'm certainly not trying to sound ungrateful for the work that you and the other admins do. I'm actually on the admin team of the largest Canadian woodworking forum, so I have a good idea of what a thankless job it can be. So thanks for your work!

I'd still push back a bit though. The limit of 800 pixels width is not a minor limitation.

I'm no expert, so I had to look this up. Today the average cell phone camera is 12-16 megapixels. Taking even the bottom end of that range, a 12 megapixel camera would take a picture with, on average, a width of around 4000 pixels - or 5 times bigger than the limitation here. In other words, virtually no one with a phone made in the last 5 years will be able to post pics directly from their phone. In the vast majority of cases it will only be possible to post your pics if you first take the time to resize them - which on most phones requires a separate third party app - or upload them to a third party site, which runs the risk I mentioned above.

I'd encourage the admins to consider whether that isn't a functionality issue that's worth addressing.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 6:43 pm 

Third party hosting does leave you at the mercy of the host. Which sucks. With that disclaimer out of the way here is an alternative some may find useful if they use Google Photos.

As long as your picture is inside a shared Google Photos Album, you can copy and paste it's URL inside the forum Img tag. The image can be no larger than 800 pixels. But in the case of Google Photos you don't have to resize it. You can actually set this dimension in the URL itself. Towards the end of a shared Google Photo you will see a number like "w1368-h912". Change this to "s800"

For example
Quote:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fYW6Qb9NOxVbgOVsB2EFwuhzIkjtrary2ol_4P7xvpc3cif2WutKXCb9pH3RW-tzyW9Pi2mdPMPCwizoQB_emybRtwDUA787PKf1LbuwgTVsFzODexwF9iH8U0bVv0_65qTKDo5GPg8Omx-XTDj1uswQ=w1368-h912-no?

Change to
Quote:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fYW6Qb9NOxVbgOVsB2EFwuhzIkjtrary2ol_4P7xvpc3cif2WutKXCb9pH3RW-tzyW9Pi2mdPMPCwizoQB_emybRtwDUA787PKf1LbuwgTVsFzODexwF9iH8U0bVv0_65qTKDo5GPg8Omx-XTDj1uswQ=s800-no?

The url inside the image tag look like:

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 6:59 pm 

Thanks Martin! I have to say, that is a fantastic pic you posted!

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 1:09 am 

The way the forum is currently set up pictures greater than 800px in width will lead to scrolling issues and conflict with the ad sidebar on the right.

It would take a complete redesign of the site and perhaps an upgrade from phpBB to a more current backend, all of that would require a considerable amount of work (money) and the bottom line is that it would do little for the actual content that is here.