It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 11:49 am 

I currently have Souris River on order, and although they make great canoes, I'm seriously disappointed when I found out that they're anti-vax. If I could cancel my order without losing my considerable deposit, I would.

We're in the midst of a pandemic that has cost thousands of lives in Ontario as well as thousands of jobs.

For a company to refuse to hire people who take steps to protect themselves and their families is abhorrent.

https://employment.atikokaninfo.com/job ... -position/

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm 

You're assuming.

I would ask for your deposit back in light of the new information that has come forth.
Would you have purchased a SR canoe if this information was known?...

Sure, if business was as usual, I could understand the non-refundable deposit.
These days are nothing like business as usual.

Give it a shot before the shit slinging starts.
Hopefully you're pleasantly surprised and you can let us know how well it went.

Here's hoping.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 1:38 pm 

The employment posting is since removed.

Employment discrimnation is illegal.

Never owned or paddled a Souris River Canoe, NEVER WILL.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 3:39 pm 

Ask for your deposit back! At the very least the company should be made very aware of public distaste for the position they've taken. Such approaches have consequences.

Really disappointed. But now I know.

P.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 3:58 pm 

I am 100% with you. I was close to putting an order in. Glad I didn't. I'm not sure that is the sort of people I want to support. I have a screenshot of the posting but don't know how to post pictures.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 4:57 pm 

What did the posting say?
That they will not hire those who have been vaccinated or who need time off to get vaccinated?

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 5:33 pm 

You can still see the posting here:

https://www.google.ca/search?ibp=htl;jo ... tivrt=jobs

It’s too bad. I respect everyone’s freedom to make their own choices, no matter how much I may disagree with them, but this is something else. I like their boats quite a bit. Owned two still own one and always thought they are decent folk, but I guess if that is the business choice they make, I will make the choice to take my business elsewhere in the future.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 5:44 pm 

Of course, everyone is making the assumption that other canoe manufacturers, or other gear suppliers don’t hold similar views. Do people make similar decisions based upon the moral/political of the companies involved?

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 7:04 pm 

Re: Chris Randall's question: yes, there are considerable numbers of people who don't want to purchase items__much less be perceived as being supporters of businesses where the owners or management espouse abhorrent views or whose track history is offensive to them__even if the product's price/quality ratio is good. Successful companies, especially those that don't enjoy monopolies, often understand that problem and tend to be discreet about taking a public stand on issues that risk disillusioning a significant portion of its customer base.
Before upping the ante, however, I'd recommend that potential customers verify directly with the management of the company in question that what was viewed on line was not, indeed, some kind of rather bizarre hoax perpetrated by a third party. Easy enough to inquire, establish the facts, and then act according to principles.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 8:12 pm 

thanks rustbucket,

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 10:29 pm 

*cough* Anyone here buy anything from China? Anyone?

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 10:51 pm 

:rofl:

PostPosted: August 31st, 2021, 7:14 am 

chris randall wrote:
Of course, everyone is making the assumption that other canoe manufacturers, or other gear suppliers don’t hold similar views. Do people make similar decisions based upon the moral/political of the companies involved?

Like when I ditched my MEC membership a couple of years ago? I'm not necessarily digging around to find out which way a company sways on a specific issue, but if said company goes out of their way to alienate a large subset of their patrons, they should fully expect that to have an impact on their business.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2021, 9:49 am 

scratchypants wrote:
chris randall wrote:

Like when I ditched my MEC membership a couple of years ago? I'm not necessarily digging around to find out which way a company sways on a specific issue, but if said company goes out of their way to alienate a large subset of their patrons, they should fully expect that to have an impact on their business.

As opposed to the "greenwashing" that takes place by some companies while still lobbying for relaxation of environmental regulations or financing anonymous social media campaigns to cast doubt upon science?

Which is more dishonest?

Given how blatant the discrimination was in this ad I do wonder if this was a malicious hoax.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2021, 11:01 am 

Seems to be legit. Poor business decision (and illegal). I will never buy from them. Will discourage anyone I can from buying from them too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next