It is currently January 20th, 2022, 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 7:38 pm 

Yury
Quote:
david demello, I need to correct you.
I'm wordless! (:

vpsoccer, 'ol Joe ain't got nothin' on your Central Planning! Thank you.

$161.3579 trillion unfunded liabilities

PostPosted: December 1st, 2021, 12:21 am 

My interest in the Unfundeds" goes back to this article: Storms on the Horizon, Remarks before the Commonwealth Club of California, Storms on the Horizon Remarks before the Commonwealth Club of California May 28, 2008 San Francisco, California Speech by Richard W. Fisher, President and CEO (2005–2015)

Quote:
This issue transcends political affiliation. When George Shultz, one of San Francisco’s greatest Republican public servants, was director of President Nixon’s Office of Management and Budget, he became worried about the amount of money Congress was proposing to spend. After some nights of tossing and turning, he called legendary staffer Sam Cohen into his office. Cohen had a long memory of budget matters and knew every zig and zag of budget history. “Sam,” Shultz asked, “tell me something just between you and me. Is there any difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to spending money?” Cohen looked at him, furrowed his brow and, after thinking about it, replied, “Mr. Shultz, there is only one difference: Democrats enjoy it more.”

https://www.dallasfed.org/news/speeches ... 080528.cfm

PostPosted: December 6th, 2021, 7:59 pm 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ic%20Daily

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2021, 10:19 pm 

boat_mouse you are truly ignorant of American economics. It will be the immigrant who will be necessary to help transition out of the "unfunded liabilities" because they will have nothing in it. They are the ones who will do the work that Americans won't do so that the houses are built the crops are harvested etc. If my readings are correct it is not that the checks won't go out it is that the amounts in the checks will be less. AARP "...It will still collect tax revenue and pay benefits. But it will only bring in e according to the latest estimate enough to pay 78 percent of scheduled benefits, AARP.

$161.482 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities

PostPosted: December 6th, 2021, 11:49 pm 

I made an out-of-place remark. For that I apologize Mr. Demello. I deleted it. I'll restate how I feel. I feel that your motivation throughout this thread; is. Is worry about your pension. Worry.
I do not worry. I am not ignorant. I am however apathetic. One of the two criteria I first introduced in this thread. Repetition breeds apathy. Apathy breeds ignorance. In continuing to participate in, or view, this thread - I'm promoting ignorance.
I have no interest in ignorance.

good-night David

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 7:39 am 

Well, it is a good morning to you too boat_mouse!
Quote:
I feel that your motivation throughout this thread; is. Is worry about your pension. Worry.

Your feelings are ill-informed. My reason for focusing on "unfunded liabilities" is multifold. first, it is a self-generating unaffordable debt that is ignored in the budgetary process that so many many are dependent upon. As the "unfunded" transmogrifies into debt the maintenance of that debt. Already interest on the debt is the 4th largest item in the budget. It is scheduled to become the 3rd largest item by 2025. So what we have at that point will be Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, and the servicing of the debt caused by them and which cannot be afforded. What is worst is that the future will be burdened with an unaffordable debt but will not receive the benefits of that debt.

A bit incoherent but will suffice. What happens to a star that runs out od hydrogen is similar to that which happens to a country that runs out of money, IMHO. Indeed and fact we will be both eating and milking the cash cow capitalism.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 6:05 pm 

You never lose do you? I had a friend who loved a guy but he always created games that he would/could win at. He always had to win. It was sad and unfortunate. I warned her, but she went off and married him, and a year later divorced him. She said to me that she should have taken heed of my warning. He had to always win. He won himself out of love.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 6:29 pm 

Wabakimi Guy
Quote:
I had a friend who loved a guy but he always created games that he would/could win at.

Did I create a game called "Unfunded Liabilities" ??

Unless you can demonstrate that I did, your premise is faulty. You must try harder.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 8:03 pm 

No , you created the game that this is important, that we should care and that you are the source of all information re: this that is good, true and right. Bah. Nonsense. I do not care, i do not think this is important and I don't think that you even have a clue about what you are really doing here. My premise... go ahead, judge it, tell me I'm wrong, go ahead, win again. Sad! Sad old inconsequential man.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 8:04 pm 

Democracies never die, they just lie dormant for unspecified amounts of time!

This should effectively end this rambling thread...........

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 11:09 pm 

thanks to Wabakimi Guy and Otter Mel for their substantive response.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2021, 9:26 am 

Facebook has done a couple of good things. The Like button and the Ignore button.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2021, 2:37 pm 

littleredcanoe
Quote:
Facebook has done a couple of good things. The Like button and the Ignore button.

Facebook also managed to suppress when it chose to. And to ban members. Start down that road and one wonders where it will lead.

Quote:
As will come as no surprise to those familiar with my prior writings, I maintain what was once a mainstream view of free speech. I believe that free speech is the greatest protection against bad speech. That view is admittedly under fire and indeed may be a minority view today, but history has shown that public or private censorship does not produce better speech. It is a self-replicating and self-perpetuating path that only produces more censorship and more controlled speech. Accordingly, I encourage Congress not to proceed down that slippery slope toward censorship.

Roughly 70 years ago, Justice William O. Douglas accepted a prestigious award with a speech entitled “The One Un-American Act,” about the greatest threat to a free nation. He warned that the restriction of free speech “is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.” The measures being discussed today have the potential to defeat us all. It is surprisingly easy to convince a free people to give up their freedoms, and exceedingly difficult to regain those freedoms once they are lost.

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/02/24/t ... e-hearing/

That was the United States. Not Canada. I do not mind being erased, not being there to be erased I do mind.

$161.5162 trillion in unfunded liabilities

PostPosted: December 15th, 2021, 6:16 pm 

boat_mouse
Quote:
"I was waiting for someone to post so this could be #50."

earlier boat_mouse"
Quote:
158 trillion dollars is an immense sum, scary in fact.

May I add ignorance and apathy to the list of "How democracies die" David?

Sorry for the delayed response: You are 100% accurate.

In education, I say "never has so much been spent for so little."

Quote:
How do U.S. students compare with their peers around the world? Recently released data from international math and science assessments indicate that U.S. students continue to rank around the middle of the pack, and behind many other advanced industrial nations.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... h-science/

PostPosted: December 16th, 2021, 12:06 am 

‘The American Republic Will Endure Until The Day Congress Discovers That It Can Bribe The Public With The Public’s Money’ is a quote of questionable origins but serves the purpose of describing one way of "How Democracies Die"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next