It is currently January 20th, 2022, 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: October 19th, 2013, 6:30 am
Posts: 130
David is Stalin”s quote “ “Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.” useful to solving the question you pose?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: Sunny Wasaga Beach
david demello wrote:
A seminal quote From NPR "Fresh Air a talkie dated Jan. 22, 2018 titled "How Democracies Die' Authors Say Trump Is A Symptom Of 'Deeper Problems'"

DANIEL ZIBLATT
Quote:
Electoral authoritarians come to power democratically. They often have democratic legitimacy as a result of being elected.


Does the term "authoritarian" apply when, although turbulent, there is a nonviolent transfer of power to the next president?

.


Huh? Are you saying that all that violent footage we say on the news was fake?

_________________

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
wotrock:
Quote:
Huh? Are you saying that all that violent footage we say on the news was fake?


Well, If the FBI refused to call "January 6" an Insurrection your argument is with them.

If you are referring to that summer's countrywide violence instigated by Antifa and Black Lives Matter, you need to talk to V.P. Harris since she took up the cause of paying for their legal needs.

But if you are talking about the January 6 event, I am trying to true the count of how many died. Could you help me It seems it was a lot of bang but no bodies except the one unarmed "insurrectionist"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
Now for a graphic example of our "unfunded liabilities" A bit dated but the point is still made.

"Above you can see the pillar of cold hard $100 bills that dwarfs the WTC & Empire State Building - both at one point world's tallest buildings. If you look carefully you can see the Statue of Liberty. "

"$122,100,000,000,000. - US unfunded liabilities by Dec 31, 2012. We have not upgraded the graphics for 2017 because it simply is pointless"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
If this stuff about the "Unfunded Liabilities" is anywhere near true then all this theorizing (dare I say opinionizing) about socialism/capitalism or any other related -ism is mumbo jumbo.


HAVE A NICE DAY


Last edited by david demello on November 23rd, 2021, 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
I was just visiting the TIMES when I came across this in the opinion section:

Quote:
Why not think of it in terms of seconds, I asked myself? A trillion seconds would have to be years, probably many years ago. I made a wild guess. As it turned out, I wasn't close. I found that 1,000 seconds ago was equal to almost 17 minutes. It would take almost 12 days for a million seconds to elapse and 31.7 years for a billion seconds. Therefore, a trillion seconds would amount to no less than 31,709.8 years.


https://www.nytimes.com/1986/09/28/opin ... 29186.html

Now for the math-challenged, our present unfunded future would be (161.189 X 31,709.8 ) years or 5,111,270.9522 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: Sunny Wasaga Beach
Hi Krusty,
Thx for putting my thoughts into word much better than I could.(You are no clown! :)

It seems to me that a well functioning society bestows a big economic advantage on a country. Apart from Norwegian oil, the Scandinavian don't seem to have an abundance of natural resources. Capitalism there seems to be alive and well. Two notable examples: Volvo and Nokia. Not many, if any, small countries have their own auto co. OTOH, it seems to me that S Africa could be the richest country on earth if it had a well functioning society.

IMO, one of the biggest risks to democracy is the widening gap between the rich and the poor. Canada, as well as many western nations, has a problem with this. At some point those on the lower end of the scale will decide they have nothing to lose and riot or whatever else it takes to bring change. It could be argued that this gross inequality was a major factor in the growth of that malignancy known as Trumpism. He, like the snake oil salesmen of old, promised big changes to desperate people and the stretched their credulity to believe his lies..

_________________

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: Sunny Wasaga Beach
david demello wrote:
wotrock:
Quote:
Huh? Are you saying that all that violent footage we say on the news was fake?


Well, If the FBI refused to call "January 6" an Insurrection your argument is with them.

"


So just 1 question---How many legs would a dog have if you called the tail a leg?

_________________

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
wotrock
Quote:
So just 1 question---How many legs would a dog have if you called the tail a leg?



D.B Cooper
Quote:
David is Stalin”s quote “ “Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.” useful to solving the question you pose?


Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:46 pm - $161.179 trillion dollars. Monday Nov 22, 2021 9:43 - $161.199 trillion dollars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2021, 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 27th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 2694
Location: Geraldton, Ontario Can
I remember the bad old days of Myccr, when moderation was absent and political "discussion" was rife. Got so bad that when moderation finally returned, Off Topics was more or less shut down, causing much upset amongst the political pundits, to the point that some of them left the site.

Interesting to see the return of non-canoe related discussions. Hope everyone plays nice, and no-one takes their ball and goes home!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2021, 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
I remember the "good old days" canoeing along the shore seeing the " raised beaches" high up thinking I had miles to go before I slept knowing that this too shall pass. Ah, life as cliché! Then I let one rip and felt much better.

the future knocking at the door $161.20808 trillion give or take on or about 11/23/2021 8:32 am Mountain Time

I know I am hearing Kate Smith singing God Bless America. Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2021, 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: Sunny Wasaga Beach
RHaslam wrote:

Interesting to see the return of non-canoe related discussions. Hope everyone plays nice, and no-one takes their ball and goes home!


Prob be OK because some on here are just playing it for S & Gs(Hard to take some of the comments seriously)

_________________

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2021, 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
wotrock
Quote:
Prob be OK because some on here are just playing it for S & Gs(Hard to take some of the comments seriously)


Given that the initial thesis was about "unfunded liabilities" which transcends parties and presidents and have others usurped it for their own monomaniacal purposes, read Trump Derangement Syndrome, it is indeed difficult to keep to the harness. They could have initiated their own post but instead decided to pollute another's.

As an example of disingenuous interplay, we have this:
Quote:
Putting obstacles to discourage some groups from voting and putting politicians in charge of the election process is a much faster way.
ignoring the fact that the courts engaged in the process and decided this contentious issue. It is called "checks and balances" and it disproved the author's position, making his claim a vacuous hypothetical. Now I ask where is the check and balances for the "unfunded liabilities". There are none because to do so would be touching a political 3rd rail. I await any wotrock comment on "unfunded liabilities." It is a fiscal cancer that will gut the United States.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 24th, 2021, 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: September 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Posts: 975
Quote:
Putting obstacles to discourage some groups from voting and putting politicians in charge of the election process is a much faster way.


the above is an opinion naked of facts. What does one do when presented with such assertions? immerse them in their embedded reality. Let me first dispel the notion of Trumpian divine intervention. "Putting obstacles to discourage..." whatever are the slops of a lazy mind. It shouldn't be done unless a factual base is presented. If it were to be tried, it would be challenged. It was challenged and the appropriate courts spoke to the issue. President did not like the decisions but abided by them. Compare that with President Biden's own statement about the legality of his decisions.

Quote:
"Constitutionally, the bulk of the constitutional scholarship says that it's not likely to pass constitutional muster," Biden admitted during a press conference on Tuesday. "Look. I want to make it clear. I told you I would not tell the Justice Department or the medical experts or scientists what they should say or do, so I don't want to get ahead of the CDC."

He continued, “At a minimum, by the time it is litigated, we’ll probably give some additional time while we’re getting that $45 billion out to people who are, in fact, behind in the rent and don’t have the money.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAMWolW

Alternate source: https://jonathanturley.org/2021/08/27/s ... nt-page-1/
************************************************************
an example where the Supreme Court refused to intervene after Trump request and there is no evidence Trump ignored the decision

Supreme Court won't hear GOP's Pennsylvania election challenge
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/2 ... ute-470827


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Democracies Die
PostPosted: November 24th, 2021, 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9214
wotrock wrote:
RHaslam wrote:

Interesting to see the return of non-canoe related discussions. Hope everyone plays nice, and no-one takes their ball and goes home!


Prob be OK because some on here are just playing it for S & Gs(Hard to take some of the comments seriously)

Not me. I don't visit here regularly anymore because I can listen to 35 channels of opinion masking as news here on TV. Every one has a s hole and an opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group