It is currently October 6th, 2022, 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: And Now This!
PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm 

What kind of times are we living in?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/o ... -1.6441048

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

Post subject: Re: And Now This!
PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 6:38 pm 
https://www.caa.ca/gas-prices/

Province Selected: Ontario
Today's Average
195.6/L
Two Day Trend

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 7:35 pm 

You're a real gas, DD!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 9:33 pm 
wotrock says I'm a gas!. I think he missed a significant point. Inflation is a cruel tax, It is a regressive tax. Otter Mel wrote "When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before." I was addressing the audience affected most by the increase in gas prices. Given your modest contribution to improving myccr, you might have passed over your gaslighting philippic and addressed those who wet their paddles and who have modest means.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 10:21 pm 

"Tax"

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 11:20 pm 
PacketFiend
Quote:
"Tax"

"In our economy, inflation operates as a regressive consumption tax because the extent to which individuals are affected by the inflation tax depends on their level of consumption. While an increase in the inflation rate raises the cost of cash purchases, it does not affect the cost of credit transactions."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3202001150

I would add that not only the " level of consumption" but the ability to afford that consumption is involved.

"Inflation is a tax that is highly regressive—it worsens the income distribution because low-income people are more likely to rent their homes and have little long-term debt. Inflation transfers wealth from creditors to debtors."

https://www.cato-unbound.org/2013/12/02 ... ssive-tax/

also "If you ate today, thank a farmer." is not correct.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 11:27 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
"Tax"

Yo mods, just please delete this thread.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 11:33 pm 
PacketFiend
Quote:
Yo mods, just please delete this thread.

My answer is that growing food by itself is not sufficient. Would you like to debate the point?

What about the cattle ranchers, and fishermen? What about the truckers/packers. Aren't they essential? What no credit to processors!?

And what about those who can't afford Canada?

Why is Canada euthanizing the poor?

"Since last year, Canadian law, in all its majesty, has allowed both the rich as well as the poor to kill themselves if they are too poor to continue living with dignity. In fact, the ever-generous Canadian state will even pay for their deaths. What it will not do is spend money to allow them to live instead of killing themselves."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why ... -the-poor-

" FIRST READING: Fears that the Canadian health system is far too quick to prescribe death

Canada accused of "euthanizing its poor" due to doctors approving euthanasia for patients denied proper medical care

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/fi ... ribe-death

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 8:07 am 

Otter Mel wrote "When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before." Huh?? I guess I missed that. I thought his post was about theft while camping. I hear the price of tea in China is really high these days FWIW

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 8:11 am 

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 8:42 am 
wotrock:
Quote:
Otter Mel wrote "When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before." Huh?? I guess I missed that

rest assured you did miss it.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 9:28 am 

Taking this back more on topic (where I somehow doubt it will stay), as noted in the article, the campsite thefts I have experienced in the past have been small, easily flinched items.

On a group car camper a light-fingered teen, not with our group, tried to sell us a rescue knife he had removed from one of our PFD’s. I didn’t realize he had snatched the rescue knife off my PFD until it was too late.

At a long, steep public take out I needed to make several trips to carry my gear up the hill. Where did my sail go? The stolen sail, without the base mount and no longer made Y-adapter is useless, so good luck with that fella.

To that anti-theft end I keep a very tidy campsite. If I am away hiking or paddling the only things visible are the tent and tarp, and maybe a blue barrel tied to a tree in the woods.

That is even easier when camping out of the tripping truck. Most often the only thing visible is the locked truck itself, with the cap curtains closed. I take the roof rack crossbars off when parked at a put in so as not to advertise “Gone paddling, won’t be back for a while”

The only exception to that rule is if I am camped and need to use the truck; I’ll set up an old tent, like a 2-person Timberline, to establish that “This site is occupied”.

I did have a beater aluminum canoe, chained up at a reservoir, stolen years ago. The worst theft friends have experienced was two expensive solo canoes stolen in the night. Left on the adjacent beach, gone the next morning.

One of those canoe finally turned up for sale seven years later; my guess is the thief was nervous about all the “Stolen – Wanted” posters in local stores, and various message board posts “Be on the look out” with photos and descriptions (every message board a large pissed-off circle of friends could find), hid the canoe in his shrubs until the gunwales rotted off and finally felt comfortable enough to move it.

A saving grace in that instance is that the canoe in question, a carbon Prism, had distinctive custom thwarts and deck plates, and the owner had recorded the HIN.

Maybe some lessons there. I now have another canoe chained up at the reservoir. A very distinctive canoe, with unique outfitting.

ImageResized_20220301_090922 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageP2110009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That Prism, stolen in Ohio, was eventually located via a message posted years before on CCR.

https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic. ... sm&start=0

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 1:02 pm 

david demello wrote:
wotrock:
Quote:
Otter Mel wrote "When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before." Huh?? I guess I missed that

rest assured you did miss it.

Yup---the reason I missed it was because it was not there. All very logical!!

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 9:48 pm 
wotrock had just stated what Otter Mel wrote both exist and doesn't exist. wotrock gives Schrödinger's cat a run for its money

PostPosted: May 13th, 2022, 7:36 am 

so the price of tea in China does not concern you at all?? Huh!!