It is currently September 15th, 2019, 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 10:37 am 

My Scout group is planning a six day trip down the Lievre River in Quebec; CI/II/III rapids. Most people will be in tandem canoes (Esquif Canyons), but we may have an odd number of people. So we are wondering about using a kayak for one person. We have several competent whitewater kayakers in the group. We have playboats (Jackson Fun's), but it's not realistic to paddle those all day, especially in flat water sections.

Is there a type of kayak (e.g. a creek boat) that would work in this situation? We would want it to run the rapids, rather than having to be portaged.

Thanks,

Allan.
http://www.1stmerrickville.ca

PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 11:39 am 

yea, you'll want a creeker or river runner.
My daughter graduated from her Fun 1....she loved it but it was slow to keep up to canoes......I don't imagine the parent model to be any different.....way fun hull though :P

she's currently in a sidekick which comes from the Hero line.

WARNING :P
I don't know anything about kayaks...I choose Jackson because of there R&D centered around kids and my kid loves their product.
I'm thinking (and I'm guessing here) a rocker or a hero might be good
ask your question as well on http://www.boatwerks.net

before I did that, I'd check with paddleshack, MEC, trailhead and Campdebase to see what is in their rental Kayak fleet, I didn't check Bushtucka but they have a rental department as well. Then fine tune with advice, not much good if it ain't available :wink:

Paddleshack we shop there first for watersports becasue the owner has an eye for practical and well made and we've bought boats, paddles jackets etc and never been dissatisfied. Since they are a Jackson dealer, they probably have them in rental fleet.
I can't fault any of the others, Trailhead staff are great as well and the noon friday to noon monday (2 day rental) is pretty decent
these companies are all outdoor people, never ran into a knob.....the odd sarcastic, but never out and out turn-offs

when you have your list of what you can rent....then proceed
Edit:
all that blather and I forgot the link :roll:
http://www.kernriver.com/kayaks.htm
good comparison chart
I'm tellin' ya, my mind is going :lol:

PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 10:18 pm 

Probably you'll be using a borrowed kayak, but there are some kayaks specifically designed to run whitewater and carry camping gear. All have rear bulkheads and hatches. All have retractable skegs to make flatwater cruising easier. These include the Dagger Approach, the Liquid Logic Remix XP9 and XP10, and a new Pyranha model, the name of which escapes me. :doh: I particularly like the Liquid Logic offerings, which have potential for conversion to c-1.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 12:38 am 

Allan-
I have very recent experience with this topic. A week ago three of us did a 118 mile river trip on the John Day in Oregon. Two of us were in a tandem canoe, and one person was in a Necky Looksha Sport plastic sea kayak. The kayak was around 14 feet long with a 24 inch beam. The guy in the kayak ran a Class III/IV drop with monster churning hydraulics that we lined in the canoe. On the other hand he capsized and swam in an easier rapid that we ran successfully. He was able to carry quite a bit, but not nearly what the canoe carried. The solo kayak was definitely faster than the tandem canoe, no matter who paddled it. I would rate the canoe higher on manueverability, and the kayak higher on speed, and ability to take large waves. On the other hand true white water kayaks can't carry much of anything.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 12:37 pm 

Have you ruled out a solo canoe or paddling a tandem canoe solo? Sometimes mixing up canoes with a single kayak can cause awkward situations.
What about finding a past scout to join the trip to even up the numbers?
I'm sure there are lots of other similar ideas.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 3:21 pm 

John Marshall---- Some new kayaks with strong whitewater capabilities can carry a reasonable amount of gear. Examples: Dagger Approach, Liquid Logic Remix XP9 and XP10, and Pyranha Fusion.

I have a Necky Looksha Sport, and I would not use it in whitewater except perhaps for a downriver race. It does not have the whitewater controllability needed, even for a John Day tour. But the kayaks I cited above definitely DO have the ability to handle whitewater, even class 3 and an occasional class 4, while carrying a reasonable load.