It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Easy Races?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 10:20 am 

Hey
I've never paddled a slalom course or done a race before, but I'm pretty interested in giving it a try. Are there any 'easier' races going on next summer? If so how can I get involved?

How do the different age/boat classes work?

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject: Re: Easy Races?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 11:03 am 

MKC centre has gates set up but i have no idea when they host races...The 'Pumphouse" in Ottawa has gates set up,not sure when though...Kawartha Paddlers at Burleigh Falls organize something too, don't they? And the Gull has their annual race always the weekend after Labour Day Weekend.Keep the end of that week open on next years calendar.Anyone can register,just sign the waiver and pay the W.O. fee.
Masters Solo 40+ years of age
Legends Solo 55+ years of age
Mens or Womens Solo 19 and over
Junior under 19(?)
Tandem,Mixed Tandem,and Junior/Senior Tandem.

Another fun race is the spring Credit River race on T.O.
Just a downriver race no gates.

Last edited by jordi.f on September 24th, 2010, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 5:42 pm 

You could come to Vancouver after the Gull race. The entries fees aren't bad, but I guess the flight would be a bit much.

http://www3.telus.net/~soloboat/

Pat.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2010, 11:49 am 

Check out the US races closest to us here.
there is not a lot of interest in open boat slalom racing here and the courses there would be more open boat friendly than what is here.
And If you need some tips I am just up the road in Milton.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 11:32 am 

Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere around here that would be good for working on some skills? I know there is a course set up on the Madawaska river, but thats kinda far.

What class of river do you think I should be comfortable running before I try a race? I don't want to look like a fool :)

Dave

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 3:08 pm 

If that's you in your avatar I wouldn't worry. Most oc races will be 2/3 and generally they add remove gates for skill level.
If you want to be a serious racer then paddle tech. will be important and how efficient the strokes are and how it moves the boat.
In eddies you want the ability to keep momentum going, this is where most people lose time. Yow want to use the min. number of strokes you can.
also you will need the ability for backwards moves.
Generally skill development in all aspects of paddle skills is needed.
A general rule is if you can not perform a move or tech. in easy water then you will not be able to do it in bigger stuff.
You can start of easy water with eddies on either side and then mix practice sessions with a variety of locations when you can.
With any luck we will finally get some gates up on he Credit this year with the VVCC (one member has property on both sides above the 401)
and we will let you know.
Another major plus is camera work, what one thinks they are doing in the boat isn't necessarily what is really happening and it makes for faster improvement.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 11:25 pm 

Yep thats me in my avatar. My technical skills are pretty crappy to be honest tho. I dont really get much opportunity to paddle technical rapids. I have only ever run the elora gorge (basically no eddy lines) and the bottom of the gull in my solo boat.

If you check out my youtube (in my signature) you can see the run from my avatar and a whole bunch of others. Thanks for all the input, you gave some good pointers!

Dave

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 8:26 am 

i think you'd like the Black R. run south of Washago.
Check out the Boatwerks site,click on "waterlevels"section,then in the "what's running" section,read the Blackriver/washago beta,a good description of the river.
(Shuttle for the highway put-in and you're laughing.)
If not,drive to the park'n play spot downstream at the take-out Bridge and fiddle around the islands and pinky's.
Good river for tandems and solos.

side note: First Nations security has someone doing the 'rounds around the 'campground playspots at least once a day. Depending which person is there, they may not like you ashore.In a polite exchange i was told to "of course save yourself- but don't keep doin' it 'cause you'll still be trespassing..." I then asked if i could get formal permission from their band office and he said "probably not but you could check into it yourself..."
2 days later they just waved to me as i emptied out :) You never know...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 11:56 pm 

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys.

I have looked at the black while driving to bracebridge, but never got around to running it.

Ill for sure be looking around next spring. Might even see you on the river! Im excited to find out more about some races at the start of next years paddling season.

Dave