It is currently June 26th, 2019, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm 

What you paddlers using for White Water or Moving Water Canoeing Resources?

I welcome books, videos, websites, etc. suggestions that help us paddle better. I'm not looking for entertainment, nor guide books.

If you could also include why you value your recommended resource. For instance, I like this book because it focuses on this...

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 3:58 pm 

Some of my favourites are:
* Bill Mason, Path of the Paddle
* Mark Scriver/Paul Mason, Thrill of the Paddle
* Slim Ray, Swiftwater Rescue

All three have very clear text, lots of photo illustrations and good graphic design throughout. I've never had a "huh?" moment with any of these books (well, OK the directional figure-8 knot in Ray's book could be better, but what the h. . )

We're still using Bob Foote's video on the canoe roll as well as a video on hypothermia called "Cold, Wet and Alive." Sorry, I don't have complete citations for either of those resources.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm 

Drill Time. Is the classic solo boat instructional DVD. Its a bit old school, but still good.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2014, 7:15 pm 

I like my old ACA manual. Heliconia Press has some good stuff too. I like the Westwood stuff.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2014, 7:47 pm 

Many Bill Mason Videos are on the NFB website:

https://www.nfb.ca/search?q=bill+mason&btnG=Search

You can pay to download the videos, or just stream them on the site by pressing the "play" symbol over each photo.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 7:46 pm 

The three best whitewater instructional DVDs that I have seen are "Solo Playboating" by Kent Ford (a bit dated but still very worthwhile), "Drill Time" also edited by Ford and available along with Solo Playboating from performancevideo.com, and "Solo Open Whitewater Canoeing" by Tom Foster.

There have been so many decent instructional books it is hard to pick out just a few, but some that perhaps stand out a bit in my eyes are "Canoeing: A Trailside Guide" by Gordon Grant (W.W. Norton & Company c. 1997), "The Canoe Handbook" by Slim Ray (Stackpole Books c. 1992), and "Canoeing: The Essential Skills and Safety" by Andrew Westwood (The Helconia Press c. 2007).

A book I have not read, but have heard good things about is "Paddle Your Own Canoe" by Gary and Joanie McGuffin (Boston Mills Press c. 2003).

For swiftwater rescue I agree that "Swiftwater Rescue: A Manual for the Rescue Professional" (Cfs Pr c. 1997) is outstanding. I also find the concise Andrew Westwood videos available on youtube to be quite good. Jim Coffey of Esprit has a series of excellent, short swiftwater rescue videos on youtube as well. Check under "Rescue for River Runners."