It is currently May 27th, 2020, 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 11:31 am 

I'm looking for recommendations for an intro to moving water / whitewater canoeing course that I could take in the spring. Currently, I only have flatwater experience but would really like to learn how to read rapids, basic whitewater paddle strokes, etc. I live in Windsor, Ontario so I realize I'm not going to find any courses in my backyard but hopefully there's something near London, or perhaps not too far from the border in Michigan. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 2:32 pm 

I took the course in Minden two years ago. The same folks give it at Elora Gorge in Guelph.

I think the important thing with a course like that is to have the opportunity to practice regularly in a very controlled environment.
A weekend is not a lot to really get comfortable with moving water if you have zero experience. I found it rather terrifying overall!!

The side benefit of the course is that you get a lot of practice with Canoe over Canoe Rescue.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 2:57 pm 

What's the name of the company that you took the course through?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 3:21 pm 

I took it through ORCKA I don't know if it was a specific company. If you go on the site and look for the Moving Water courses you should find it.

Beth Jones was the instructor - you could also google "moving water" "Beth Jones"
I can dm you her contact info if you'd like.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 3:30 pm 

You can use the search for a course feature at the Paddle Canada site.

https://www.paddlecanada.com/search-for-a-canoe-course/

Probably will not find any courses listed given it’s December.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 8:09 am 

The Elora Gorge is likely the closest location to you for a MW course. Beth runs these a few times each year. I can put you in contact.

If you can make the time I recommend taking a course on the Mad as the river is much better for learning compared to the Gorge or the Gull.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 9:20 am 

Just to pile on the advice already given: yes, doing a course on the Lower Mad would be a much better place to learn than Minden. The spacing of the drops give you more time to think and react and the river is more like what you would likely actually encounter on a trip. MKC and Paddlers' Co-op are two obvious training providers on the river.

Also, if you can afford a 5 day course over a weekend, I would highly recommend it, especially since you have to return to Windsor (sigh -- my old home town) where the terrain is flat. As an instructor, I find that most can learn the basics in a weekend, but can't integrate them and be confident on the water until they do a couple more day trips. We try to make it easy for our beginner graduates to get on the water again a couple more times soon after their course to let them integrate what they have learned.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 9:50 am 

Thanks guys! Lots of good recommendations. I'm leaning towards the 2-day course on the Mad. The 5-day course is unfortunately a bit out of reach with the stingy amount of vacation time I get!

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 2:28 pm 

Beth has her ad here: https://www.wildernesscanoe.ca/content/ ... on-courses