It is currently July 25th, 2021, 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 7:36 am 

Last weekend we started the season off with a fun run down the Saugeen River (Priceville to Durham, Ontario). It was a beautiful sunny day. The River was a little boney in sections and yes, I got hung up a couple of times on rocks. That of course always brings into doubt one’s ability to read the water or to question one’s eye site. There are limits to the amount of time a hobbiest can dedicate to improving their WW reading skills (though I’m open to suggestions. I’m sure some day someone will create a VR simulator for WW paddling but considering the size of the sport I’m sure its a ways down the list for gaming companies) thus that leaves me with exploring options in eye wear. I did do a search here and only found a couple of post on the topic all over a decade old thus this new thread.

I’m a bit near sighted an not sensitive to bright sun light. I wear glasses for night time driving or when I want things to be as clear as possible (movie theatres or driving and looking for street names). I see from past threads that some people like contact lenses but I don’t think it is something that I want to start and I just can’t get my head around laser eye surgery. That leaves prescription eye wear.

Are there any brands or style of prescription eye wear that people believe is well suited for paddling? Do people think that clear or yellow or pink coloured lenses are better? Would a lens that adjusts to the brightness of the sun react quickly enough when you go from bright sun to the shadows of the trees in a rapid? And yes, a strap to hold the glasses in on one head is assumed.

Curious on peoples thoughts and experiences.
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 10:10 am 

I'm in a similar situation as you, slightly nearsighted. I have -2.75 in my right eye and -3.25 in my left - so, enough that things get blurry without glasses or contacts, but not so nearsighted that I can't drive without glasses in a pinch if I need to. And nowhere near bad enough to justify burning my retinas with a laser beam and whatever risk that entails.

I know you mentioned you'd probably not consider trying contacts, but I'll try to convince you anyway. I only started wearing contacts two or three years ago, in my early forties. It did take a couple of weeks to figure out how to get them in and out without attacking my retinas, but it was worth it. It was a couple weeks of some frustration. But now, I no longer need to worry about water splashes on my glasses, or my glasses getting scratched on portages or while working.

Contact lenses have been a major plus in the pandemic, as I seem to have vastly more issues with my glasses fogging over than most people do. The option to wear contacts to avoid that is great.

It's not just for water sports, although they do make a huge difference on the water. It's just a really great option to have, it's not much trouble if you only use daily-use contacts occasionally, and it wasn't overly burdensome to learn how. I'd give it some thought.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 10:34 am 

I have had eyeglasses swept off by water after a dump never to be seen again... and then again after they went flying off in a collision with a rock several years later. Had spare glasses both times so not a huge problem, besides the expense of replacement. A neck strap would have prevented loss.

I'm nearsighted as well and wouldn't run rapids without being able to see what's ahead in sharp detail... when I tried contacts many years ago they never seemed quite as sharp as eyeglasses so went back to specs... besides, when in water the contacts seemed to stick to the eye for some reason and that was uncomfortable. Maybe the reason why the contact manufacturer recommended they not be worn in water?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm 

Contacts have never been a hit for me.

The extent of my system is this:
- use a glasses strap, and
- bring a hard shell glasses case so that I have somewhere secure to chuck my glasses if I get tired of splashes or fogging and want to ditch them - I had a pouch for this (a water bottle holder) anchored into my outfitting/lacing.

My sight is such that I can't decide whether I'm worse off with my bare eyes or with glasses that are wet and/or fogged. Actually, I guess the fogging is specific to cold weather and cold water paddling in BC, so less of a problem in Ontario in the summer.

Just bring a glasses' cloth to dry them?

I can definitely see better with my glasses, and it's fine 90% of the time, but if they're not working for me, I just like having a quick and safe place to ditch them.

P.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 2:00 pm 

I wear my glasses on the water all the time. I don't really have any fogging issues. If it is really bright, I will wear prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. I have had my share of swims and being churned, but never lost a pair of glasses (always wear a leash). I have friends that use the variable tint glasses and seem to like them -- they have used them for years and keep replacing them with the same thing. I don't think there is any particular tint that works better under all conditions.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 5:02 am 

I wear prescription Ray Ban sunglasses (tinted) and love them! I keep a lanyard around my neck attached to them.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 5:28 pm 

Folks, thanks for the input. Sorry, not convinced on contacts. The desire to see only slightly better does not overcome my discomfort with the idea of keeping something against my eye ball.

I know some people say they buy expensive prescription glasses and loose them. Yep but I figure that it’s better to have seen better for a while than not.

Adidas eyewear has caught my attention. I will explore further.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 7:31 pm 

My sunglasses are Adidas. They have a tinted lens and then my prescription bifocal lenses mount on a little rubbery nose piece inside. I was sort of skeptical at first that they would be comfortable and durable but I've had them for 6-7 years now and have changed the prescription lenses a couple of times, but the original tinted lens and frame are still good.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 2:56 pm 

Peter K. wrote:
My sunglasses are Adidas. They have a tinted lens and then my prescription bifocal lenses mount on a little rubbery nose piece inside. I was sort of skeptical at first that they would be comfortable and durable but I've had them for 6-7 years now and have changed the prescription lenses a couple of times, but the original tinted lens and frame are still good.

Just got my Oakley Tincan( metal frame, will last a long time) sunglasses converted to prescription lenses. Can't wait to paddle this year. I would have to keep a pair of reading glasses around my neck for looking at gps, maps, tying flies on etc. Not cheap but worth it.

Make sure you get polarized lenses and the best protective coating you can afford.

A couple folks I paddle with swear by contacts but I just can't put stuff in my eyes.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 10:51 pm 

I was there over 20 years ago and dealt with glasses doing WW and skiing- PITA
especially sunglasses.

Got Lasik about 20 year ago, along with many outdoor friends.
Great decision, and they all agree.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 1:06 am 

There are a lot of things available to protect your eyes nowadays. Some cute helmetsare also now available in this regard.