It is currently October 16th, 2019, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glue removal
PostPosted: January 7th, 2005, 7:18 pm 

Is there anything that will soften or help dissolve white woodworkers glue?
I am recaning a canoe seat and having quite a battle with the glued in cane. The spline came out pretty easy but the evil little glued in cane ends are ferocious. We are on our third Dremel bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2005, 11:13 pm 

Hi Kim

My first thought, as a finisher, would be to try water........ my next thought was "ummm on a canoe?" The glue is likely not your average white glue. It's going to be an outdoor, waterproof or resistant type.

So, if it was me, I think I'd still use water, just make it very very hot. When pouring it on, use a small pick or something to try to pry the cane out of the holes. You want to expose as much of the surface area of the glue as possible. The best thing may be to soak the entire seat in very hot water for awhile.

Another thought - I'm trying to imagine where on the seat you're removing the cane, and I think you're having trouble in the holes? Why don't you get a drill bit the same size as the holes, and just drill out the old cane?

If those don't work, give me more details of where it is on the seat you're having trouble, and I'll try to put my problem solving skills to work for you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 12:22 am 

You might have some luck using a heat gun, or even a blow dryer set to high heat, to help soften the glue.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 8:54 am 

I think she is recaning a seat that has a groove and spline, not the hole type.

I agree it is probably something else besides regular carpenters glue. You might try soaking a rag in laquer thinner, and putting that on a spot, acetone or paint thinner might also work. BE CAREFUL, flammable materials.

You will also have to refinish the wood after using these hot chemicals.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Last edited by jjoven on January 9th, 2005, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 8:57 pm 

Kim, try acetone in a syringe injected into the joint. If you can get it, MEK, methyl ethyl ketone, is a similar solvent to acetone but less volatile (still flammable). It will take time to soften the glue and MEK will evaporate at a slower rate than acetone to give you more time for the glue to soften.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 9:53 pm 

Thanks for everyone's help. We dug out the glue carefully. We didnt have a cane spline removal tool (that would have been twelve bucks US for one project) so we used a pocket knife to start and a Dremel tool. Since we didnt want to gouge out the wood since the new spline would be too small we fine tuned the last part of the glue removal with acetone and now are looking forward to the arrival of the cane and spline for Part 2 of the fun.

Its machine made cane and if this doesnt work we will have to drill holes and hand cane a seat. I did a kneeling thwart insert about two inches wide and ten inches long and it was quite a long job. It was my first attempt however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2005, 8:14 pm 

Kim,

Where are you geting your supplies from?

When I caned my seats (with holes) I went to Rockler Woodworking Store which are located all over. They could help with additional questions and/or materials you may need.

Caning is fun!

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 9:34 am 

www.chairseatweaving.com They have all sizes of machine and hand cane supplies.
I often shop on line. The Rockler store is too far away. I will drive two hours to canoe but not to shop. Those "everywhere" stores are not here, except for Wal Mart and I am thankful for that though sometimes it is an incovenience to drive 45 min each way for screws or nails. We do a lot of business with Lee Valley too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 12:44 pm 

Kim,

Don't worry about installing the mach cain, it's easy and MUCH faster then hand caining. I'm slow and it usually takes me about 45 min for 1 seat.

Just be sure the cain is well soaked and work from the middle out and on opposing sides to keep it even. I use short ends of spline to temp hold the cain and put in enough to hold it all around. Trim the cain, glue it and then put in the real spline working around the seat removing the temp splines.

Dan