It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Price for rough cedar
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 5:17 pm 

Hi again,

Thanks to Cal and frozentripper on my previous forum inquiry on bead and cove bits. Bought mine from Lee Vallee today.

Todays question: Pricing out some rough red cedar at the local lumber mill (30Km's west of Montreal) and was thrown back a bit on prices. He quoted me over $4.00 on Select Red Cedar. Does that sound about right for you guys? I was expecting something in the $1.50 to $2.00 range.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 5:27 pm 

$4 for select red isn't bad. I assume he's talking per board foot not lineal. 1board foot is 1X 12X 12" so if you are buying 1X4 you are actually getting 3' for your $4.
You can ask for narrows which may run you about $3.50 (3 1/2-4").

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 5:34 pm 

Sorry, ya, sold per board foot. Its all rough cut stuff so I will have to mill different widths, wont be able to get too picky on sizes.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 8:14 pm 

I payed $7 a board foot, two years ago.
Perfectly clear (BC) western red cedar (WRC).
14-18 lengths.
6-8" wide pieces.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 8:47 pm 

Hi Mike,

I haven't bought any in a couple of years but I usually dealt with Adams & Kennedy, in Manotick, just south of Ottawa

http://www.wood-source.com/new_lumber/index2.htm

Not sure what the prices are currently, but I was paying about $4/bd.ft. for select dressed WRC, they'll also rip the planks to 1/4 thickness for strip canoes, for a fee of course, but usually worth it unless you have lots of time.

Good luck,
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 9:48 pm 

Hi Mike, haven't checked for any back posts, but if you are building a canoe here is a great site for information .... in case you haven't been there.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... 7173aaf811

moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 10:32 am 

Eastern white cedar will probably fall into the $1.50 - $2.00 range, but the color and quality will not match WRC. The EWC is lighter and more variable in color, without the deep tones that WRC makes possible. Clear boards are also shorter, 6-8 ft normally, with 10-12 ft outstanding. This adds on work with making joints and some of these will be visible. The main advantage of EWC over WRC is greater flexibility and lightness, so if you need this over good looks, then you could save some $$$.

Even cheaper is basswood, but the color tends to be more bland than the other two. It's heavier as well, so to keep the weight the same, you need to cut 3/16 strips, making construction trickier.

Good quality wood is worth the price, considering the work that goes into building the boat. The price you mentioned doesn't sound bad, if the wood's good quality. When I phoned Noah's awhile ago, I believe their prices per board foot were higher, over $5.00, IIRC. Again, quality might be the reason.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 11:05 am 

I've used both red and eastern white, and prefer white cedar. Better workabiltiy and stronger too, in my opinion. $4 for rough isn't bad, but you can probably find cheaper if you start beating around. Last year I picked up four boards, 3x12x20' for $100.00. If you go directly to a mill that cuts cedar, you should be able to pick up the white for $1 of 1.25 a board foot. Be nice to the guy, he might let you pick through everything.

I'm using a combination of red and white on the next boat, primarily because I have lots of both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 12:39 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys. You've been loads of help. RHaslam (dont know your name, sorry), you mentioned your prefrence with white. How do you find the color compared to the red? Do you have any pictures you can share with me? I've already put in a call with my lumber guy to check on prices/availability.

Thanks again.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 1:55 pm 

Here's my last canoe........picked the darkest white cedar in the lot, came out fairly nice.
http://www.greenval.com/quetico.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 2:09 pm 

She's a beauty! Did you design her yourself (the canoe :wink: )?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 2:27 pm 

mikenor wrote:
She's a beauty! Did you design her yourself (the canoe :wink: )?

I agree that's a mighty pretty boat.

Mike, you gotta go back to the link that Rob posted and read the whole website http://www.greenval.com/ for Green Valley Boatworks. All the boats there are John Winter's designs. John is one of the most prolific canoe designers around. He has numerous other plans available for his canoe desings.

PK