It is currently November 17th, 2019, 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 3:22 pm 

Does anyone know a company that makes the paddle shaft collets/couplings for the new style adjustable kayak paddles? I'm not looking for paddle manufacturers because they're all tight lipped about who they get their components from, but I was hoping someone may have run across the plastic (nylon) shaft collets manufacturer. Days of google searching has returned zippo.

Thanks

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 5:17 pm 

A friend of mine made his own two-piece kayak paddle. I _believe_ he purchased his hardware from MEC, although I am too pressed for time at the mo to check their catalogue. He can paddle with a 90 degree feather or unfeathered. I'm not sure about any other feathering that his hardware supports.

If you're talking about the infinitely adjustable joins like Simon RIver or Lendel use, I can't help you.

Good luck!
--
Darryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 6:39 pm 

CLC sellsthe ferrules:
http://tinyurl.com/498pd

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 7:59 pm 

I'm looking for the infinite feather/adjustable length components. Similar to this...

The collet system is used on all sorts of telescoping pole/shaft products - Lighting , paint roller poles, swimming pool accessory handles, etc. I can't for the life of me find a manufacturer or supplier of these simple, plastic parts.

Thanks - Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 1:32 pm 

Just an FYI,

I am making a wooden kayak paddle for my son who we bought a kayak for his B-day last week.

I found that CLC does not offer the ferrules any more so I found a place that sells them.

Sawyer Paddles out of Oregon.

http://www.paddlesandoars.com/frame_paddles.html

Get the phone number off their site and place a call for the stainless set. I just ordered mine. They also have the carbonfiber at a higher price.

Over all they are cheaper.

The paint pole is nice but not sure if that is not sold as an accessory. I googled for it but did not find it. Too costly to chop and splice it in.

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 8:34 pm 

A ferrule

Noah's Boat Building
$55 carbon
http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Paddl ... s-can.html

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 8:31 am 

Doug wrote:
A ferrule

Noah's Boat Building
$55 carbon
http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Paddl ... s-can.html

Doug

$38 carbon at CLC! http://www.clcboats.com/paddles.php/cart_id=3bc75f632add692658dfee748cf2410c/

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject: Paddle collets
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 8:54 am 

Guys, guys!

Please read the original post, and it's follow-up. He does NOT want a set of ferrules; he wants a collet. There are several places selling the ferrules, in either steel or carbon fibre. Thanks for the info on them, but it is NOT what is wanted. :tsk:

I saw a nice Lendel paddle at the Ottawa Trailhead show that used the collets. It was a four-piece design that not only allowed you to set the feather and length to EXACTLY what you wanted, but allowed you to change out the paddle blades as well, depending on conditions and/or paddling circumstances.

Finally, it all disassembled to fit in a bag that looked for all the world like a bags of tent poles: handy for taking your paddle on trips involving air travel.

Despite the lack of air travel in my life these days, I lusted after this paddle!

Is there a going rate for first-born children? I'd be willing to negotiate.... :D

--
Darryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 9:27 am 

Thanks for the help guys. I found a company willng to sell the collet assemblies. The major diameter of the "fixed" shaft has to be 28mm. The collet system only comes in one size. On most factory built systems, the ferrule is 1" (25.4 mm) in diameter which is what this collet system uses also. The company is Simon River Sports (http://www.simonriversports.com/). The price is reasonable ($6).

Thanks again - Bob