It is currently June 18th, 2019, 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2005, 7:48 pm 

Doug wrote:
A "Free Beer", in London?

Doug

Yep, free beer. There's no such thing as a free lunch, but there is free beer. Actually, it wouldn't exactly be free in this instance since it would be conditional upon a paddle-making demonstration.

Bottoms up!
(somehow that saying seems inappropriate in a canoeing forum)

-Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 12:57 pm 

I started a batch of laminated paddles a couple years ago, but only finished 2 as I got bored with it. I'd rather work on canoe instead.

Anyway, I glued on a maple strip crossways on the tips. The blade and tip were then epoxied and glassed. Over time the glass wore off the tips but the maple is doing fine. On the rest of the paddles, if I ever finish them, I'll only glass the blade and not the tip.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 1:20 pm 

Has anyone made a wooden kayak paddle with a curved blade? Would you fiberglass this as well and tip the blade? Do people usually push off with these blades like a canoe paddle?

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 1:21 pm 

Has anyone made a wooden kayak paddle with a curved blade? Would you fiberglass this as well and tip the blade? Do people usually push off with these blades like a canoe paddle?

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2005, 3:50 pm 

I have had good success with beading the edge of paddles with glass roving (unidirectional fibers- you can get these by pulling strands of glass out of a piece of cloth) sanding them down till they are flush with the wood surface and then laying light cloth on both sides at the tip to reduce splitting. away. This way you do not have to wrap the cloth around the blade which is very difficult for anything with much curvature. You need an edge that is at least 1/8" + thick to get a good bead to stay attached

To see beading done by pros look at skegs on surf boards.

For paddles that I intend to abuse severely I glue a strip of Lexan to teh tip, shape it and then glass both sides. Lexan is darned close to indestructable on impact and you really have whack the paddle to break it off. It does add a bit of weight though.

John Winters