It is currently December 8th, 2019, 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book query
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 9:22 am 

Hello all,

I am planning to publish the latest edition of my book on canoe and kayak design. I would like to know how people feel about getting the book on a CD in PDF format.

The costs of printing are such that this would probably save a lot of money plus it would allow me to update the book later very cheaply. It alos allows me to use larger images as these would be linked to the text.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 10:05 am 

Hi, John,

I would buy it - I recently ordered some books from Amazon.ca and one had a CD included on the back cover. It was the entire text again in CD form and I enjoyed reading it more than the book, because of the various computerized graphics that weren't possible on paper. Will the book and revisions include any info for cedarstrip builders?

Rick

PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 10:49 am 

Hey John,
A PDF of the book would be great. Personally I would want the option of taking it to a local print shop and having them print a hard copy for me. The PDF is better as a reference since it is easy to search, but if I'm reading it 'cover to cover' then paper still works best for me.

So this means:

1) Include copyright permission with the CD copy to print 1 hard copy
2) Have a single printable file to make the printing easy

Not sure what impact this will have on the images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 11:31 am 

Since i am spoiled and have a lazer colour printer in my office, i love this idea. I recently dowloaded the big agnes catalogue and printed it, no wating for the mail man... might have been better quality than a cheaply printed one anyway!!

My thought is that this is a better way, if the dog eats it, or the kids colour on it... printer another! (especially nice when you have purchased the book)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 7:32 pm 

Question for John.
What is the name of your book?
latest edition?
I assume it is about naval architecture?
canoes & kayaks?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2005, 3:08 pm 

I have a copy that you sent me last year or the year before, and I never had the chance to thank you for the copy. It is very interesting. Some of the info in there is above my level of understanding, but I would buy a e-book version if the Design Methodology chapter was expanded. Granted I hold an English degree, so my understanding of math is small, but if you could walk the lay person through the process in more basic details.
Of course, if I really sat down with the book and worked out the problems and formuals then I probably would understand it more. It's too bad that there isn't a workshop for this kind of thing. Maybe a three day course for canoeists.
Anyway, it's a great book, and I'm sure many people would like to get their hands on it. I'm concidering the e-book route for a photography book I'm working on right now. It's an interesting way to publish.

Bryan

Post subject: e book
PostPosted: April 5th, 2005, 8:31 pm 

I like a book i can take to the bathroom or the work shop or even camping as i did with your first book.

I also like to look at my library as a history of my life.

CD's are nice but i prefer the older albums with their covers.

I will purchase your next effort regardless of the format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2005, 6:44 am 

Hi John,

Count me in, either way!

Cheers,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2005, 1:25 pm 

Doug wrote:
Question for John.
What is the name of your book?
latest edition?
I assume it is about naval architecture?
canoes & kayaks?

Doug

This one is an update of my first book "The Shape of the Canoe" Now renamed "Designing Canoes and Kayaks" because i have added a lot of kayak stuff.

If it works out I will publish my newest book "Kayaks" which is an analysis of aboriginal kayaks from across the north the same way. I hope to follow that with a similar book about aboriginal canoes.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2005, 1:32 pm 

Bryan Hansel wrote:
Iif you could walk the lay person through the process in more basic details.
Of course, if I really sat down with the book and worked out the problems and formuals then I probably would understand it more. It's too bad that there isn't a workshop for this kind of thing. Maybe a three day course for canoeists.
Anyway, it's a great book, and I'm sure many people would like to get their hands on it. I'm concidering the e-book route for a photography book I'm working on right now. It's an interesting way to publish.

Bryan

I used to do seminars on it at various canoe symposiums but they stopped asking me to come so I guess they weren't very useful. I enjoyed them because I could answer questions on the spot. With the CD format I would be able to answer questions via e-mail and the answers could be pasted into a word processing file.

The Methodology section is expanded but I won't know how helpful the changes are until I get some out.

John Winters

Post subject: When can I get it?
PostPosted: April 8th, 2005, 5:15 pm 

I prefer a paper book for reading. But your points about publishing and feedback are good. I can always print out chapters if I want to read them away from this infernal box.
Besides I don't want to wait for you to find a printer/publisher.
I want it now please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2005, 12:23 pm 

John I prefer a hard copy as I often have to think about what you are trying to explain to me. I am a slow learner on some concepts and need hard copy to go back to to reference something I might be getting or not getting.
I have never been happy with reading something in Acrobat Reader or on disc on a computer screen, but I might try. I could always print out diagrams or concepts I am having trouble getting so I can ask questions.
"they" said the computer age would be the end of paper use--heh heh not so!

Maybe I am just too old fashioned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2005, 12:47 pm 

John,

I like stuff electronically, though not especially in pdf format, as I like the ability to cut/paste/revise things.

But a CD would be fine, I can always print out sections if I want to.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2005, 1:17 pm 

John, I don't have a problem with technical information being presented in an electronic format, but I'd avoid Adobe acrobat like the plague. I deal with .pdf files on a daily basis. This seems to be the way the goverment agencies like to display all their legislation. But it's so hard to find things, and even harder to print what you actually want. I personally find that I always access files in Word format instead of .pdf format when given the option. They are easier to manipulate, print, view... and just make the whole research activity more enjoyable.

This book doesn't sound like the curl up on the couch with a fire in the fireplace kind of book... so it might as well be electronic.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2005, 1:50 am 

I have two copies of your original book in paperback. I would probably not buy an electronic copy. Even though I am coming down with paper books, I don't like the electronic format at all. I might well round out the collection with a revised paper copy.

Let's say a "book" consisted of software that was powerful enough to design canoe lines, and while reading that book I could feed files, peppered throughout it, into the software, and play with my own design, that is an electronic experience. I suppose even say digital video explaining design issues would be something. But text and pictures are more useful in paper form.

Let's say the book cost 20 bucks, and you clear 2, and the CD cost 3 bucks, and you still clear 2. OK maybe that's a deal too.

The standard in boat books is pretty high right now, and I am not sure that even the self published version would stand in the marketplace next to Moore and Kulchin (whatever), Van Leuven, etc... The recent Moore Rossel book is a puzzler, a lot of info that is beautiful presented. no lines that I could find, on a subject that really doesn't require explanation S&G boatbuilding.

I have been designing and building boats since the late 70s. I have read anything I could find in print on canoe design since that time. It is not the most complex of subjects, though subtle I suppose. So far I am still waiting (though I don't need it any more myself) to read a single book that does something other than a self-serving support of the designer's efforts. The ABC of canoebuying kind of thing. It is possible to write a book that actually serves the interest of the individual who would like to learn or practice small boat design. Outside of YDI etc... I don't think it has been done, and not there for canoes. The subject is usually rendered more impressively complex rather than less. So the good news is that the field remains open. I recall the fight over who could best describe the function of a paddle, in the old Canoesport Journal, as an example of the kind of writing that probably helps no one, though doubtless amusing to many.