It is currently November 12th, 2019, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MAS or System 3 Epoxy?
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 6:09 pm 

Debating whether to use MAS ( http://www.masepoxies.com/ ) or System 3 ( http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp ).
Any thoughts?

I've been getting an alergic reaction to MAS epoxy.

Not keen to use West System.

Is RAKA in Canada?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 6:24 pm 

I've used West, East, Raka, System 3, and MAS. . My last build was with US Composites medium cure. . It is the least expensive of all the epoxies. I like it and intend to stick with it (no pun) in the future.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 6:47 am 

System 3 is superior....the two canoes i built with MAS are really showing the wear....

PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 8:58 am 

Doug wrote:
Not keen to use West System.

Hey Doug,

I'm curious as to why you are avoiding West System, have you had trouble with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 2:10 pm 

I read this article,
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm

I used it once and had no real problems with it.
Only that it is fussy in less than optimum conditions (temp, cloth saturation, working time & humidity).
The West System has been around since the beginning (if not the original one).
It is the most recognizable epoxy out there and is available everywhere.

Just thinking that there may be something that caters primarily to cedarstrip construction.
The latest & greatest quest.

All the best,
Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 3:25 pm 

Doug

I get the allergic reaction too and it doesn't matter which epoxy I use. Minimise the reaction by covering up (great in this heat!) and wearing a mask. I seem to get it worst when sanding epoxy that hasn't had a full week to cure.

I built with RAKA (mail order from US) and was very happy with its properties (set up time, viscosity, clear) for a first time builder and I would go that route again next time, despite the fact it is only available direct from the manufacturer and not available in stores.

I do fibreglass repairs with MAS because it is relatively inexpensive and I can get it "off the shelf" here in Toronto whenever the need arises.

I use Industrial Formulations G2 for glueing things together, like seat frames and seats to cleats, yoke to gunwhale, laminated paddles, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 9:33 am 

Doug wrote:

Thanks Doug,

That article is a good comparison of the epoxies. Glad to see that there were no "problems" with the West Systems other than it being the most expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2005, 7:39 pm 

Some general thoughts (my own, of course):
MAS epoxy - reasonable price, good properties sometimes, inconsistent working properties batch to batch.
System Three - Good price, good flexibility, well suited to wood, forgiving mix and low blush, but can be a little soft even at full cure.
MVS - good price, good cured physicals, low toxicity and almost no blush. Lots of surface tension, though, and therefore not suitable as a coating (for filling weave, etc).
West System - A little overpriced, good flex modulus, many people are familiar with it's specific characteristics and can make it work well. An old epoxy formulation, though. Heat resistance is not good, heavy phenol content (alergies) and blushes like crazy.

There are many other epoxies around, some good, many not, but if they are not available locally hazmat shipping can be costly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2005, 11:58 am 

I'll throw my $.02 in......

I've used MAS, System 3 Clear Coat and Raka.

For layup work I only use the non-blushing "hardener".
I have used the blushing hardener for glue up applications.

For ease of use, I think MAS is better, it seemed more predictable.
Raka was similar but less money.

The the last 2 projects I've used System Three Clear Coat because its, 1) clear (the others have some color) and 2) and more importantly it's by far the least visious epoxy I've found, which make wetting out thin glass easier (doable), thin being 2.3 and 2.87 oz. The STCC needs to be put on quicker then MAS as it changes "consitansy" (sp), ie, it starts to get thicker or more jelly like. it's not kicking off, but it doesn't fill well anymore either. The MAS didn't do this.

I am curious though, Rob, what do you mean by "not holding up well" with the MAS resin?

Dan