It is currently November 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 21st, 2005, 8:29 pm 

I'm thinking about building a canoe from Stewart River boat works. One of the canoe's I'm interested in is a solo called the Traveler. Any thoughts on how something like this would paddle based on its specs? I really won't be able to test paddle before building...

http://www.stewartriver.com/traveler.html

Thanks, David

Last edited by .Ranger on July 22nd, 2005, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 7:31 am 

You dropped the "L" in the .html part of the link. :doh: :)

Here's the full link. http://www.stewartriver.com/traveler.html

Looks like a nice boat. Not ultra fast but should move well. Should be reasonably stable becaue the max beam and beam at WL are close. That may compromise secondary stability a bit.

Not a whole lot of rocker so good for open water tripping.

Ends at 18 3/4" should shed the wind.

There's my input.

I'm looking at doing a canoe with similar specs in Stitch and Glue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 8:53 am 

Based on the specs this is one boat I would prefer to try before buy.

Reason is that I like to test secondary stability of boats with little rocker. This one has less rocker in the bow than a Bell Magic. The Magic works well because heeled it firms up and you can make turns with a little heel and retain the go ahead straight advantage of little rocker.

Its hard to tell without feeling the boat with hands but the bilge looks like it has a fairly soft turn and secondary stability might be OK.

My other note is that it isnt too deep . 12.5 inches is the depth of my 13 foot boat..

Its a pretty boat isnt it..looks somewhat like a tubby Loon Works Mistral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 10:41 am 

At first glance it seemed pretty narrow, but when I check specs on some other solo's it turns out to be fairly typical. The 7/8" of rocker isn't much so take Kim's advice. The hull looks promising to me.

Have you considered any other models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 5:16 pm 

I hate non-rockered hulls... and 7/8 inch of rocker is zilch. There is no way to free the ends of the hull from the water to get it to turn. What the hell do you do when you want to paddle a river, or you have to negotiate through a wetland to a portage on the remote end of a lake? I'd be interested in trying the boat. But it will be slower than the Magic Kim mentioned, and most likely also the Merlin II that Kim owns, the Osprey and nearly all the other 15 footers out there. So what is the point? It's not sleek enough to be fast, and it doesn't have enough rocker to turn.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2005, 8:11 am 

Thank you for all the replies. It sounds like I had better not rush into things. It will be hard to test paddle one of these due to location-but I will make it a point to before building (if I get to that point).

If anyone has recommendations for a good wood-canvas solo I could build please pass the info. along. I'm looking for something in the sixteen foot range for big lake travel.

Post subject: Stewart river boatworks
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2005, 5:16 pm 

Hi, I happen to own the 17ft Emily that Alex Comb built for me.First let me tell you he is a very thorough ,thoughtful and careful builder and you will get a first class canoe.For what you want Alex has the perfect canoe --the Chestnut Pal replica.Its a 16 ft 35 " beam with about 1 1/2" rocker .It will do everything you want very well.You can build that one at his class.I did try the Unity which is the slightly smaller version of the traveler and frankly I wasnt that impressed with it.It wasnt very agile or lively. If your looking for a strictly solo W/C canoe look at Red river Canoes in Manitoba and his Replica of the Chestnut Fox. I owned that one and it is awsome,good glide good capacity and very maneuverable with heeling right to the gunnel with confidence. His price is very reasonable as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 4:48 pm 

Before we jump all over this boat that David is interested in (and it looks like he is looking for a dedicated solo not a small tandem like the Pal, which is a fine design in its own right) lets note that there is NO industry standard for measuring rocker and its very hard to compare two boats on that measurement alone.

I would think it would be a good idea to find an owner of a Traveler ( there dont seem to be any here). Maybe Alex could give you a reference. This might be useful if you avoid "how do you like the boat" questions and ask specifics such as behavior when heeled to the rail (does it free the stems), secondary stability, how many degrees the boat will turn with one hard full sweep or J stroke while on a flat plane (unheeled) and wave shedding behavior.

I tend not to worry too much about speed. Few paddlers can sustain a hulls maximum design speed for long. Over a day the time it takes a fifteen foot hull to cover a given distance isnt going to be much difference over a fourteen foot one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 5:46 pm 

Kim wrote:

Quote:
Before we jump all over this boat that David is interested in (and it looks like he is looking for a dedicated solo not a small tandem like the Pal, which is a fine design in its own right) lets note that there is NO industry standard for measuring rocker and its very hard to compare two boats on that measurement alone.

Kim is dead on here. Not only does the measurement vary from builder to builder but you get nothing about the section shape at the ends nor do you know the waterline length when heeled.

A shame but the canoe business just refuses to get together on this.

John Winters