It is currently November 13th, 2019, 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seat -solo canoe
PostPosted: September 30th, 2005, 9:45 am 

Greetings,
I'd looking for options to the mounting of a seat in a cedarstrip solo canoe (Osprey).

Options too;
- hanging from gunwales.
- Sliding seat ( http://www.greenval.com/FAQbowsliderseat.html )

Looking for ideas on mounting the seat on the bottom of the hull.

Any thoughts?
Pros / Cons?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2005, 10:44 am 

Just a thought... You could epoxy a wooden horizontal support shaped to fit the hull directly to the inside of the hull below the rails at the height you desire. Then you can use SS bolt/nuts/wahsers to mount a standard seat through holes in this wooden support. This will be stronger than the handing from the gunwales option. This idea could be modified easily enough to create a sliding seat (either of the friction variety or the notches in the support to accept the ends of the seat.

I have a friend that often does this to his canoes, as it helps to stiffen the canoe and you don't end up with the Micky Mouse hanging from the gunwales sliding seat system.

PK

Post subject: solo seat
PostPosted: September 30th, 2005, 5:18 pm 

My philosophy on solo seats is keep it simple, especially if you will be using the canoe in the bush. I have made 2 Ospreys (modified to suit me better) and have discovered that a sliding seat is almost a must for canoe tripping. I also include the yoke as one side of the seat frame. I can't stand having a loose yoke slopping around in the canoe. For my sliding seat I have found a system that while it may not look classic is hands up the best system I have seen. I simply hang my sliding frame below and parelel to the gunnels. On the sliding frame I attach a 24" T-track available from Lee Valley. Then in the ends of the yoke that is part of my seat frame I drill or rout a slot at each end for the bolt that allows the seat to slide on the T-track. You can buy all the necessary T-track and knobs with attached bolts that fit the T-track from Lee Valley. To slide the seat all you do is loosen the knobs and slide it to the necessary posittion and tighten them up again. Since my yoke is built into the seat frame I never have loose parts floating around in the canoe and it is all ways attached to the seat. You can face the yoke backwards on the seat for paddling or just leave it facing forwards. After using this system for several years I will never go back to the loose yoke. If yo want pictures you can email me and I will be happy to send you some via email.
walkonwatereh@yahoo.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2005, 7:46 am 

I would EMPHATICALLY recomend that you check out the Azland traditions sadle seat

http://www.azlandtraditions.com/leather_Saddleseat.html

i have one in my boat http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showp ... =FREEDOM17 (click the image when open for a larger version)

This thing can move ahead and back to any degree (as long as your scuppering your inwales), you can list it, you can move it up and down as the hours/days/weeks pass and your ankles/knees loosen up.

there is no more comfortable seat out there, this thing litterally moulds to your butt, the photos are from when it was first installed, it is a bit different now. also, when slung really low, you have added safety, as if you tip the canoe, the seat will not pin your feet/legs it just moves out of the way!!

Post subject: Re: solo seat
PostPosted: October 4th, 2005, 12:12 pm 

walkonwatereh wrote:
I have ... discovered that a sliding seat is almost a must for canoe tripping.
A must for you, perhaps. I canoe trip in solo boats with fixed seats. I slide my gear or use water bags to tweak ballast. This works well for me. I like being able to spread my knees wide with my heels tucked beneath the seat & the sliding seats I have used prevented this style of sitting/kneeling.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2005, 3:06 pm 

My solo Shearwater came with a sliding seat. I used it for one season until I found the "sweet" spot for me. The seat has been in that same spot ever since. In fact, I removed the sliding seat and permantly fixed it to the same spot. My usual paddling position is one leg under the seat and other stretched out in front. Two legs under when the wind/waves pick up so any kind of seat/yoke combination is out.

I can change ballast very fast by moving the food barrel/pack back and forth in front of me. In a strong wind, fast re-balancing is good. My main Mason pack is right behind me and there is stays.

Where I really like a sliding seat is the foward seat in my Kipawa. My 5"5"wife weighs about 130 and my usual 6'3" tandem tripping partner weighs 250 and needs leg room.

fwiw, Ted