It is currently August 14th, 2020, 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 10:55 am 

Looks great, Dan!

What's a Ranger, exactly?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 11:20 am 

Quote:
What's a Ranger, exactly?

I believe Dan said this was from Bear Mountain Boats, so it would be the fifteen-foot Prospector:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/15-0Pr ... Ranger.htm

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 12:02 pm 

Yup, 15' (14'8") prospector... Thats what happens when you lay out the stations from one end instead of the centre.... Ahhh well, Anyway got the bottom closed up, stems are on and shaped, ridges are planed. Today I fill the gaps. I would like to have the outside glassed by the new year.

4 things I have learned. 1, I need to build a second boat with the knowledge I have learned from this one. 2, glaringly obvious mistakes to me are invisible to everyone else. 3, The purchase price of tools is the cheapest part, keeping them sharp and learining to sharpen is the tough (and expensive) part. 4, I love my spokeshave!

I will try to get some pics up later today.

I went with the small prospector because I am building in my basement, and need to be able to get the boat out. Ideally I would like my second boat to be a Winisk. Also, when I started bulding my GF and I had broken up, so I was thinking that I would be doing alot of solo paddleing, but didn't want to be commited to solo with an osprey. We are back together now. I had rented a bob's special a few years ago and didn't really like how it paddled, nothing specific, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Thus the ranger seemed to be the best boat given the multiple variables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 12:34 pm 

Sounds like a keeper.

Interesting to see your comments. They're exactly what I said when I built my stripper. Especially about the spokeshave and sharpening. If I was building another I'd buy a high-quality one with a vernier blade adjustment.

Have fun, and keep the molds!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 4:13 pm 

Dan. wrote:
I had rented a bob's special a few years ago and didn't really like how it paddled, nothing specific, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Thus the ranger seemed to be the best boat given the multiple variables.

Interesting I've paddled Bob's Specials in Kevlar, Royalex, wood and canvas, and homemade cedar strips, and I liked them all. I really like the Bob Special as a solo. It's fun, it's maneuverable, it responds well to heel, and to pitch adjustments, it heels smoothly, and just a pure joy to paddle. Only gripe is that it's slow, and is probably too small as a tandem for anything but day tripping. As such, it's not real applicable as a tandem tripper, but you could surely go for a 50-day HOOP trip solo in one.

But then again, everyone has opinions on these things. I hope your canoe meets all your needs. It surely looks nice in the photos.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 5:56 pm 

Re: the bob's special...Thinking back on it I had a different GF at the time, we spent the whole trip fighting, we broke up shortly after, so it might have been my frustration more than the boat. Definatley an unfair evaluation, but such is life. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2006, 9:35 pm 

Finished glassing the outside yesterday.

MAN SHE IS PURDY!!!!! :P

maybe i will take some pics and let y'all see for yer selvs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 12:17 am 

Dan. wrote:
maybe i will take some pics and let y'all see for yer selvs.....

We're all waiting for the pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 11:55 pm 

Hmmm..... I cant seem to find the cable that connects my camera to the computer.... maybe I can just describe it to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 12:30 am 

Found it... Man thats annoying, when are they going to standerdize plugs? I know its difficult, but I bet if we locked all the engineers in a room with no pizza or beer they would figure it out eventually (credit to Douglas Adams for that one)

Anyway here are the pics... enjoy :lol: I have :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 6:47 am 

Dan

I think I can see a slight imperfection....you better trash it!

Really, hope you can get it outside in natural light so we can all see just how purdy it really is, flourecents and flash just don't do it justice.

Are you going to take this out for a Spring run down the credit?

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 10:16 am 

For my 17ft stripper I rented a table saw for a weekend. It only cost $50 or so. Then I bought a new, slim, blade. All went quite well -- it's the supports for the long planks, and the featherboard that count.

About halfway through planking I realised I didn't really need the perfect WRC 18' boards I'd bought. There's absolutely nothing wrong with butt joining shorter strips. After all, ships are built this way. They use the 3-and-3 rule, ie, the joints are at least 3 planks and 3 stations away from each other.

I too would use local cedar for my next project. For the first couple of runs I'd scarph-joint the strips for long length, but after that, make do with the short pieces.

It's the resin and fabric that make the boat strong, not the 1/4" cedar hull.

But I too tend to get purist about the whole thing while building it. It's a deeply engrossing project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 11:40 am 

recped wrote:
Dan

I think I can see a slight imperfection....you better trash it!

Really, hope you can get it outside in natural light so we can all see just how purdy it really is, flourecents and flash just don't do it justice.

Are you going to take this out for a Spring run down the credit?

Ben

Lots of slight imperfections... I figure I had to have them or no-one would beleive that I built it. :wink:

Not a chance this canoe is going down the credit... Thats what my ABS boat is for, with the weather the way it is, I may not have to wait until spring. Hmm maybe this weekend? good idea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 7:27 pm 

This is some sort of set-up; a staged canoe-building counterfeit; a sham!

There's no way you could build a canoe in a space that clean! I'm calling your bluff! ;)

Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2006, 5:22 pm 

It's obvious to me that this thread has an inappropriate title. maybe "Dan builds real snazzy boat" might be more suitable.
:clap:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next