It is currently December 8th, 2019, 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adding a Solo seat
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 3:38 pm 

I want to add a solo seat to my canoe, but do not want to permenantly attach it.

Is there any reason why I cannot put the seat on hangers that fit over the aluminum gunnels? I could probably shape a piece of wood to work as a clamp against the inside of the gunnels to hold it in place.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 4:42 pm 

You could install a hanging seat or a kneeling thwart (a narrow piece of wood, installed at an angle to support your butt while you kneel - good for ww) and just use wing nuts so that it's easy to take in & out.

A possible problem with the hanging seat, depending on what you're using it for, as that you may want it to make sure it doesn't move around on you.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 8:03 pm 

Check out www.campmor.com they sell a sling seat for $20USD that fits any size canoe, and when you're not using it you can roll it up and stow it in a pack or bungee it to a thwart. It weighs just over a pound. If you want something a little more permanent, just bore holes for screwing the clips to the gunnels.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=12500226

I use a Nashwaak wide nylon strap that has gunnel clips that won't slide around. It is like a kneeling thwart only infinitely more comfortable on my sitz bones. It weighs just a few ounces and takes up very little room in a pack when not in use. Nashwaak may still have one in stock, but they've stopped manufacturing. You can see a picture of it a www.nashwaak.com and use it as a guide to fabricate your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 3:14 am 

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to permenantly attach anything until I did some testing to see what is comfortable and where the best location is.

Andy, the Nashwaak address didn't work. I found Nashwaak paddles, but their site is under construction. Would have liked to see a picture. The campmore sling looks like just the thing for a quick and dirty test. Price is right too.

Fred