It is currently December 11th, 2019, 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: outfitting
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 11:53 am 

I want to install some knee pads in my new Old Town Appalachian this weekend. I'm looking at these http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6674356604
Sorry about the loooong link (too bad it's not sssausage).
Has anyone used these? Can you reccomend anything else? Any tips would be appreciated, I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 12:28 pm 

follow the instructions CAREFULLY. place then where you want them. take a pencil and outline the bad. sand very good to rough up the whole area. and glue them down. and be sure to get them in the right place.

my OT app doesn;t have them, YET, but i used my buddies app. this weekend and he has got a generic set of knee pads only and they are a treat. its comforatble on the knees and transfers power directely too boat.

good luck.....
APPs rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 12:29 pm 

follow the instructions CAREFULLY. place then where you want them. take a pencil and outline the bad. sand very good to rough up the whole area. and glue them down. and be sure to get them in the right place.

my OT app doesn;t have them, YET, but i used my buddies app. this weekend and he has got a generic set of knee pads only and they are a treat. its comforatble on the knees and transfers power directely too boat.

good luck.....
APPs rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 2:38 pm 

Contact cement works for foam, but make sure you use solvent based, not water based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2006, 12:31 am 

Plastic, a t l a s t !

First off, congrats on picking up the Appalachian!! :P I look forward to hearing of your moving water adventures! How will you decide when to go Prospector vs. Appalachian, or maybe you'll become a couple a solo artists?

Those are good knee pads. I know some people find that in tandem boats the side wedges are too narrow (i.e., too far away from their legs), so they add extra foam to thicken the wedges & get everything nice and snug. But that's getting picky. If you wanted to do that after too, it's also easy to stick foam-to-foam with contact cement.

There's not much to installing. I get a sharpie and outline the whole pad. As far as placement goes, I'd err on the side of placing then too close in instead of too far out - you don't need a buch of pad out ahead of your knee doin' nothin'. I'd also err on the side and getting them nice and wide, let you kness put pressure on those bumps.

Put 'em where they're comfortable for you, and try not too worry too much about have all the the angles and distances the same - could be a mental challenge for an engineering- and architect-types! But your bodies probably aren't perfectly symmetrical, so don't worry about too much about mm.

Sand/roughen, clean, thin layer of contact cement to both sides, about 1/4" beyond the pads on the hull, wait the 15 mins or so, then another thin layer or heat.

Then, rather than trying to plunk it down all at once - it sticks on contact, so you only get one shot at staying in the lines, I line up one edge and its corners then kinda roll the pad onto the boat, preferrably with more pressure first right down the middle, working out towards the sides.

Even you're sloppy with it, they'll probably stick. And even if they come out, they're easy to put back in.

Paddle on Cap'n! Are there eddies under the bridge?

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2006, 9:24 am 

Quote:
I look forward to hearing of your moving water adventures! How will you decide when to go Prospector vs. Appalachian, or maybe you'll become a couple a solo artists

You mean in the shower this morning? And I wasn't solo. :lol:
We're still a duo, and she's the artist, I guess I'm just a lucky SOB.
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Paddle on Cap'n! Are there eddies under the bridge?

Lots of eddies river left below the bridge but they're usually full of seminaked women. But the biggest hazard is the chance of picking up an unexpected descending passenger as you pass under the structure. (a punctured hull from above?) :roll: