It is currently November 14th, 2019, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 12:15 pm 

After several yearsof borrowing friends heavy fibreglass boats, I finally bought myself an 8 year old Bluewater 16' kevlar prospector :D . It was a rental boat and so has seen a lot of rough use.

I bought it as a way to introduce my kids to canoe camping/trekking. I wanted something light enough that I could easily carry it myself. It is meant as a flatwater boat.

The bottom (gelcoat) has been repaired with some sort of epoxy filler and painted (crappy paint job). It has been patched on the inside in two places (patches look well done) and looking at the gelcoat in those areas, it took a couple of good hits. I noticed today that the paint has cracked in some areas over scratches so I assume the gelcoat underneath is also cracked.

Looking closely at the inside of the boat on the bottom I notice a number of 'stress' lines running front to back.. In a couple of cases the 'glass is raised along the length of the stress line. I ecpect this is dammage from going over rocks.

The inside bottom of the boat is also worn down to the cloth in a number of areas.

I hope my description gives you all a good idea of the condition of the boat. Now the questions.

1. Oilcaning: Was out on a paddle with the kids when I noticed the section of boat in front of me (no load on it) was oilcanning. This as a flatbottom boat so maybe this is normal. From what I have read I sould not be concerned, but given the abuse this boat has taken and some of the stress lines showing, should I be concerned?

2. cracks in the gelcoat. I don't think there is much I can do about hailine cracks, but should I clean out and fill larger cracks? I guess my concern is that there may be damage under the gelcoat and I don't want water to get into those areas. Is it easy to tell without removing the gelcoat if water is getting underneath anywhere?

3. Stress lines. This is the one that concerns me most. If the boat hit something hard enough to buckle and damage the cloth I would expect the foam core (am assuming foam core construction since there are no ribs) to be damaged as well. Since I am only doing flat water maybe I am being paranoid. Should I be concerned? I could ad a layer of glass to the inside bottom of the boat, but this would probably add a lot of weight.

4. Worn areas on the inside bottom of the boat. I was thinking of cleaning these areas and giving them a light coat of epoxy to protect against wear. Is this good enough?

The last question if about boat storage. Right now the boat is out on my 3rd floor apartment balcony (amazing what you can do with rope 4x4s and pullys). I would like to hang it so I have use of my balcony. Is there a proper way to hang the boat for storage. I was originally thinking of using the gunnel cross braces at the front and back of the boat, but that may not be a good idea. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 3:28 pm 

Anyone?...

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 4:50 pm 

I'm not the best to answer this question because I haven't had any Kevlar boats, but I don't think you have anything serious to worry about.

It sounds like the "damage" you describe is run-of-the-mill wear & tear and that nothing needs to be repaired with any urgency.

So, I'd keep some repair options in the back of my mind and ask around and look to see what others have done, but I really wouldn't worry about any of the issues you mentioned. Tha canoe will probably be sound for a long, long time, you just have to learn to appreciate it's minor creases and cracks - which is easier once you go out and put in some of your own.

P.

p.s. If you use the forums search function, you may find some related threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 3:02 am 

Thanks for the reply yarnellboat. You are probably right, I just like to be sure I'm not overlooking something.

Fred