It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 29th, 2006, 10:15 pm 

Ah well, its been ages since I've posted. One buddy that went with us moved away with his kayak, my canoe spent two years out of commision while I renovated it and since that's been done the water levels have been LOW.

In any event a guy at work picked up what sounds like an Old Town Discovery 169 off a kid for all of $120 US. The thing is apparently in good condition but has a thin crack that was questionably repaired.

I haven't had a chance to look at this thing first hand yet but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience repairing polylink3. Will expoxy resin and fiberglass stick to it or do I need something else?

"If devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion then the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2006, 6:59 am 

I have heard of people who said they could repair poly successfully using epoxy but have never succeeded myself. Possibly because my preparation wasn't up to snuff. Poly is tough stuff to get things to stick

I talked with one outfitter who said the most successful way to repair the stuff was by welding the plastic and that there were people who did that kind of thing. I followed up on the suggestion by visiting a company that manufacturers plastic welding equipment and supplies and they said it worked well and sid that most large body shops now have welding equipment although they may have to buy the proper welding rod.

Watched a demo and it was neat. They use a heat gun to heat up the surface and feed the rod into the crack. After he was done (in just a few minutes) the repair seemed plenty strong.

You might look up something in the yellow pages under "welding- plastics"

Probably the best thing to do is to contact Old Town and see what they recommend. They will know best what type of plastic they used etc.

John Winters

Post subject: re
PostPosted: August 31st, 2006, 7:38 am 

Well with luck the former owner's repair will hold and we won't have to mess with it.

I was worried that epoxy wouldn't stick. Harbor Freight actually has a plastic welder for cheap (probably in quality as well) and I've been curious about trying it, so I may look into it along with renting a matching video on how to use it.

I would think however, while not super permanent any Goop type product would work fine as its a small hole.

"If devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion then the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking"