It is currently November 17th, 2019, 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Kevlar canoe layup
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 9:38 pm 

This is a Moran-style canoe (tripper), the 3rd we've made from this mold - this time we shrink-wrapped the mold. Details of the first two are on http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlar.htm. Current project is on http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlarII.htm.

Layup

50% fill coat (after sanding)

Off the mold - smooth!

Reeaalllyy smooth! If we could only do this with the outside - hmmmmm.

Next step, close the ends and mount the gunwales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 7:30 am 

I'd really like to see your site, but the links don't seem to be connecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 3:46 pm 

Rob,
Go to myrabo.com and click on Canoe Building

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 3:46 pm 

Nice site. Nice canoe and some of those recipes look good.

FYI: there is a period at the end of the URL that shouldn't be there. Knock that period off and everything works well. As in .htm not .htm.

Post subject: Links - sorry about that
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 5:02 pm 

I'm not sure why the periods got included, but

2003 build - http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlar.htm
2006 build - http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlarII.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 10:50 am 

Very Nice!

I'm going to order the book, and maybe try it this year. I've been thinking of building a new stripper, and using it as the mold. How do you find them holding up? I'm thinking of building them for my school club. We currently run strippers and cedar/canvas.

Post subject: Homebuilt Kevlar canoes
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 6:59 pm 

We find they hold up very well. I have "babied" mine, while my canoeing partner has made no attempt to "protect" his on portages. His looks pretty much the same as mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2006, 6:22 am 

How many layers of Kevlar are you useing?

Thought of useing the Kevlar / Carbon weave?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject: Kevlar
PostPosted: August 18th, 2006, 3:56 pm 

One layer of 9 oz double-bias Kevlar, followed by 6 oz s-glass. Another layer (the footbal) of s-glass is added on the bottom only.

You can barely see the "football" on this picture:

I've never really considered a carbon hybrid, but I might for a solo sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2006, 7:35 am 

Wow!

Beautiful canoes....Wonderful work.

If it's ok I just have a couple of questions.

1) Although you are obviously short on neither patience nor skill, the pitch for the book seems to indicate that even inexperienced individuals can complete this project if they take their time an know how to follow directions. Do you think that is accurate, or in your opinion should this be an undertaking for experienced craftsmen only?

2) How many hours per craft do you have invested by the time it is completed, and if it's not too invasive a question do you mind sharing the approximate materials cost?

3) Using your shrinkwrap method, do you think significant time/money could be saved by using an existing canoe as a male mold?

Thanks, and congratulations again on some lovely canoes.

Post subject: Kevlar canoe questions
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2006, 9:40 pm 

1) Although you are obviously short on neither patience nor skill, the pitch for the book seems to indicate that even inexperienced individuals can complete this project if they take their time an know how to follow directions. Do you think that is accurate, or in your opinion should this be an undertaking for experienced craftsmen only?

I'm not sure I could say we are all that skilled - patience does help. The techniques do not require a great deal of skill, but it does help to read the instructions carefully! We typically spend a few minutes reading the instructions prior to doing one of the major steps.

2) How many hours per craft do you have invested by the time it is completed, and if it's not too invasive a question do you mind sharing the approximate materials cost?

About $500 US, not counting the male mold. Say another $100 for the mold, at the outside, depending on how many scraps you have laying around. I'm guessing we spent a couple of weekends making the mold (say, 60 man-hours total for 2 guys). The layup for each canoe takes about 3 hours (6 man-hours), another 3 hours for the sanding/fill coat end sealing steps (3 m-h), a couple of hours for the gunwale cutting/scarfing(4 m-h), a couple of hours for the seats (4 m-h), same for the portage yoke (4 m-h), several hours to mount the gunwales (3 m-h), and an hour for the sanding and finish coat (1 m-h). Total, maybe 30 man-hrs for the canoe (may be twice that, depending). That seems about right to me - same amount of man-hrs for the form as for the canoe. That's one reason we're making 5 (so far) from the same mold.

3) Using your shrinkwrap method, do you think significant time/money could be saved by using an existing canoe as a male mold?

Yes - if you could find one with the right dimensions/form. I will try this with my Wee Lassie as a form (probably not until next year). The shape of the Moran canoe is fast - I'm doubtful if you could get that shape of a commercial, or even most home-builts. There are some other considerations, like how to assure you haven't encapsulated a perfectly good canoe! I've got some ideas on how to avoid that also.

Thanks, and congratulations again on some lovely canoes.

Thanks - it has been fun!