It is currently November 12th, 2019, 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 15th, 2006, 8:14 pm 

So, I want to build a winisk.

This boat is going to be a serious tripper first and a show piece second. To that end I have decided I will use composite construction as opposed to building another stripper. Not having a friend with a winisk who is willing to let me use it as a male mold, I think the best solution is to build a plug using James Moran's method.

For those not familiar, Moran uses plywood crossections, stipped with foam insualtion and faired with drywall compound to produce the plug.
The problem is that Moran suggests using 1" thick foam for mold rigidity. What is the best way to modify Winisk plans to account for the thickness of the mold?

John, how much do you charge for customized plans?

Any other better suggestions for producing a mold?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2006, 6:56 am 

You can get the plans at Green Valley Boats
http://www.greenval.com/
Great support from Martin Step, I've built the Kipawa & Osprey.
Outstanding canoes.

The designer, John Winter, is also on this forum as well.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 6:03 am 

Dan,

You won't need custom plans. The regular plans will work fine.
The plans are already printed to allow for 1/4" thick hull. Let us say your laminated hull is 1/8" (you can determine this from your anticipated laminate. The supplier of your materials can tell you how thick each layer will be). That means you would have to reduce the frame size by 7/8" .

You can achieve this by making arcs of 7/8" all around the existing frame and then drawing a curve tangent to marks. The new curve can be drawn using a thin wood or plastic batten.

Another method which you may find easier is to cut the frames as they are drawn and then scribe them all around by 7/8" being sure to keep the scribe normal to the curve. Then re-cut the frames. A bit wasteful but easy to do.

A third easy method is to make a disc from plastic or other hard sheet material that is 1-3/4" in diameter with a hole for a pencil point in the center. Layout all the frames according to the plans and then tack a thin wood batten around the frames as layed out keeping the batten on the outside of the frame. Now roll the disc around the inside of the batten. The pencil will mark the new frame size.

When reducing the size of the frames most people run into problems at the ends due to the changin intersection angle. I suggest you cut the stem mold as it is drawn. It is drawn for an inside stem whihc you probably won't use and I bet it will work well with only minor fairing.

Hope that is clear. Martin Step says I am the worst person in the world for giving building instructions and he is probably right. After 46 years of building boats I tend to take things for granted and assume people just "know" that stuff.

John Winters

Post subject: Modifiing plans a Winsk.
PostPosted: September 21st, 2006, 2:43 am 

Dan,

what about this idea:

Build a mold using Spruce, sand it, glass it and fill it with Epoxi.
You will get much easyer a perfect form.
( since the strips are narrower and stiffer then foam. ) And use the original plans.
And it will be more durable, so you can use it again and again.
Join with a friend.
Or you can even make a Cedar one, and use it for a mold.
And you can use the mold as a canoe...

Ewout.

I would join you, if only I didn,t live in the Netherlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2006, 3:53 pm 

Yeah. I have already built a stripper. I wanted a mold that I could build in a weekend for $200...

Although, I am seriously considering building the boat in a cedar strip.... If only to justify blowing even more paychecks at lee-valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2006, 4:53 pm 

Dan,

Check out the following if your interested in building an all composite canoe.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KevlarCanoe/

Dan