It is currently January 24th, 2021, 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2006, 12:29 pm 

mark the splasher wrote:
General question about Black. Langford, and maybe many canoe companies, have this way cool black colour, kind of waffly looking paint, (reminds me of a black panther, there are spots there but only in certain light and angles). It is just awesome. But we discussed at the time how hard that canoe would be to see upside down on a heavy and cloudy day, especially on big lakes when the waves are a foot high and the water is almost black? Anyone else share these concerns generally? Maybe I am too worried about a rare occurrance.

You raise good points about safety. Me - I don't subscribe to the view that the only colour a canoe can have is what has been DONE before.

Years ago my sister (a Taurus as well, good taste runs with the bull) moved to a small community in Ottawa called Stittsville. She painted her garage and shutters and trim a beautiful shade of blue in a community that had only ever seen black, white or perhaps brown. Well didn't those neighbours have something to say...here was this girl painting the exterior of her house BLUE - and not Royal, not cobalt, not sky - but some eclectic shade inspired no doubt by Ralph or Martha. Many naysayers, much gossip.

But after people got past the fact it was different, they realized - it was nice

She started a TREND...before you knew it everyone had embraced it.

Now Hooligan has made his choice..we respect that. and this girl isn't posting to condemn or admonish...just idle banter for a Sunday afternoon.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2006, 2:46 pm 

Hey ladydi, I have no problem with the colours or the sexual orientation of the fashion dictators (I was once a card carrying member of the Color Marketing Group http://www.colormarketing.org/. )

Remember I was the guy who said hooligan should do what turned him on.

If hooligan likes metallic orange he should go for it. No body has to like it but him and if it offends some wool shirt traditionalist then tough.

Mind you, I started paddling back in the prehistoric days of wool clothing next to the skin, no synthetics on the paddler or the boat, and canvas packs. A little conservatism isn't completely out of line in those of us on the downhill side of life.

:D

And a Merry Christmas to all and may all your flies be white.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2006, 3:16 pm 

Jwinters wrote:
Hey ladydi, I have no problem with the colours or the sexual orientation of the fashion dictators (I was once a card carrying member of the Color Marketing Group http://www.colormarketing.org/. )

Remember I was the guy who said hooligan should do what turned him on.

If hooligan likes metallic orange he should go for it. No body has to like it but him and if it offends some wool shirt traditionalist then tough.

Mind you, I started paddling back in the prehistoric days of wool clothing next to the skin, no synthetics on the paddler or the boat, and canvas packs. A little conservatism isn't completely out of line in those of us on the downhill side of life.

:D

And a Merry Christmas to all and may all your flies be white.

I was just joshing ya JW - I found your post amusing and couldn't resist the jab. I have a bro in-law that won't wear anything but blue cuz apparently every other colour has

f a i r y

written all over it - he takes good natured ribbing from us but I've yet to see him in anything but.

Now as far as being on the downhill side of life...I ate a few Christmas cookies on Friday and am still recovering... slept 12 hours last night and just got up from my nap today - but I'm told it's the spirit that counts isn't it?

Glad to see ya back in the forum - :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 12:08 pm 

Hooligan,

Paint it any color you like, it's only paint and can be repainted if you decide you like something else better later.

Also, in 20-30 years, you'll be replacing the canvas and will have a chance to paint it again. :)

But more importantly, pics, where are the pics. Would love to see it, both before and after.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 12:26 pm 

Dan Lindberg wrote:
Would love to see it, both before and after.

Dan

Well, I did post one ( I have others), but no one seemed to notice ?! :roll:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 4:42 pm 

WS,

Thanks, I missed it the 1st time through, must have been the after affects of the shiney canoes before it.

It does look shapely though. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 8:54 pm 

Dan Lindberg wrote:
. . . pics, where are the pics. Would love to see it, both before and after.Dan

This is before

You'll have to wait a bit for the after pics.

Is this the Dan L who hangs out at WCHA??
If memory serves me you also have a Thompson, correct? A Thompson BROS. is it not?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 7:42 am 

No offense taken ladydi.

At one Color Marketing Group get together there was a new member who looked around and asked, "Are all you people queer". He never came back. :D

Mostly just a bunch of people who can't stand monochrome.

It definitly is the spirit that counts. The more spirits the better. Interesting how the cookies can case so much trouble but a glass of champagne hits the spot and has no lasting after effects. :D

Does your brother-in-law live in Nova Scotia? If so he has lots of company. No colour at all unless its the bilious (sp?) blue or green they paint their houses.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 8:16 am 

Jwinters wrote:
It definitly is the spirit that counts. The more spirits the better. Interesting how the cookies can case so much trouble but a glass of champagne hits the spot and has no lasting after effects. :D

My doctor said "Live on the edge - have a cookie" - and I did. Now eating soup every day.

Champagne...euk... bubbles get stuck in nostrils ...won't even talk about the effect on the nether regions.

Jwinters wrote:
Does your brother-in-law live in Nova Scotia? If so he has lots of company. No colour at all unless its the bilious (sp?) blue or green they paint their houses.

Is that why they call em blue nosers? :lol:

Now Hooligan - the pressure. We really want to see your finished product and we PROMISE to keep our opinions to ourself (fingers crossed behind back :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 11:22 am 

Paul,

Yes, that is me.

And yes, the 1st canoe I restored was a little 16 ft Thompson Bros.
Old wood canoes are very addictive so be carefull.
I now have a small fleet, including several Thompson Bros, Old Towns, a Penn Yan, a Willits, a Mullins, and a couple Seligas. What I don't have is any Canadian canoes. They have been hard to find down here. But someday. :)

BTW, that one looks pretty good, nice shape, hard to tell about the condition of the wood, but usually if they have good varnish on that's a good sign. Once you get her stripped then you'll see how much wood needs replacing.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 12:27 pm 

There is a Kawartha Canoe and Peterborough for sale at The Complete Paddler in Toronto.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 5:22 pm 

Well, it's RED!!
Changed my mind about the black and went with something more traditional.
Picked it up today and put it in the water as soon as it was home. A real joy to paddle . . . in a straight line! I havn't paddled a canoe with a keel for over twenty years :oops:

Detail of the bow rib and plank replacement. I'm going to experiment with a couple coats of tinted varnish to see if I can match the old patina better.

Side view with those upswept ends, almost like an OTCA.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 11:30 pm 

It looks amazing! I think you made the right choice ditching the black...not for that baby.

Red looks rich and perfect with that beautiful wood. It's classic.

Thanks for posting the update.

Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 7:03 am 

Bump

Wanted Watersong to see it.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 8:04 am 

Looks Great!

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next