It is currently August 4th, 2020, 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 7:45 am 

I did not watch the video. I couldn't. I think I know what happens, as I look at my hands that have one thumb and one part thumb. :( :oops: :cry: :doh: It happens very, very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 8:04 am 

I have seen these before. They have been around for a long time now.

Rick, nothing gross about it. As soon as the hotdog touches the blade it stops instantly with no more than a nick on the flesh.

The real danger with Table Saws is kickback. I wear a shop apron to protect myself from getting impaled by a piece of wood just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 9:00 am 

I have never heard of these before, thanks.

I am always worried while using my table saw, seen too many friends lose body parts on the damn things. I guess it is time to start saving to replace my saw.

Rick, watch the hot dog video. Let me know if you hurt your jaw like I did when it dropped and hit the desk.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 10:18 pm 

Having worked as a cabinet maker for 8 years, I've seen enough table saw accidents and known enough thumbless people to declare this the greatest thing since sliced bread. The guy in my shop was worse thatn the guy in the video. He took of all of two fingers, half of the remaining two and half of his thumb. I happened to be staring right at him when he did it. You never forget someting like that. I'd urge anyone who uses a saw, to dump what thew have and get one of these. As it says in the video, being a professional is no defense. I nicked my finger once after 6 years of experience using a saw alomst every day, at home doing a little project around the house. I was lucky. I didn't need stiches, just a really big bandage. But I found something else to do with my life.

You just can't comprehend what it means to mess up your hands. I severed a tendon in a finger in my left hand about 20 years ago. Before that I was a pretty good guitar player. I could still be a hack guitar player, but the frustration of what I can't do made me just put it away for good. Messing up your hands, usually messes you up in ways you would never anticipate. I used to love guitars, now, they make me sad. Not using a device like this now that it's available, just doesn't make any sense given the seriousness of the consequences.

Last edited by normhead on January 28th, 2007, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 7:53 am 

pinecones wrote:
Rick wrote:
I did not watch the video. I couldn't. I think I know what happens, as I look at my hands that have one thumb and one part thumb. :( :oops: :cry: :doh: It happens very, very fast.

Sorry to hear that Rick and also sorry if this post was upsetting - it wasn't meant to be. (I edited my post above.)

No problem at all pinecones. I just thought I didn't need to watch what I have experienced, but I take it's not what I first thought it was going to show. I'll watch it later today.
Thanks for your considerations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 11:38 am 

I showed this to the powers that be at work... we had a guy cut his hand off 2 years ago. Provided the quality is what they claim, and it can cut plastics without tripping the brake, we will be switching ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 11:41 am 

Thanks for posting that pinecones. It is pretty impressive.

I have had my share of near misses with table saws, but mostly with kick back from a small cut piece that didn't connect with the safety pawls when I was inadvertently standing in the way. Sometimes the force is sufficient to drive the piece into the plaster board on the opposite wall of the room.
Nasty things these table saws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 10:05 pm 

Yep!

We see table saw injuries at least every other day.

Exactly how that Doc described it, from the base of the baby finger angling towards the top of the index finger and thumb.

Be careful guys, it's not just newbies, young guys, careless guys... Many times it's the guy who's been doing it for years, the guys who always say "I can't believe I did that"... Yep always the same story...

Pale as a ghost, sweaty, grabbing their shirt wrapped hand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 10:06 pm 

Oh, I work in the ER I should add.