It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 7:59 am 

These books are pretty standard for someone wantling to build a cedar canvas

http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/1585745901BT

http://www.tilburyhouse.com/SBC%20Frame ... cc_fr.html

It's a fairly large undertaking, you will need to build a steam box and a solid form to build your canoe on. In the books above, there are a variety of offsets for building many different canoes....none as small as the one you are looking at though. Personally, if I was going to go through all that work, I would build something a little more all purpose.....I'm sure that canoe has some fans, but to me it looks like a nine foot bath tub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 8:59 am 

FTB,

I once paddled a 10 foot W/C canoe. It was around 36" wide at the middle and was an absolute hoot to paddle on the pond just playing around. I'd seriously consider owning one for just that purpose. But, as Rob says, there is alot of set-up work involved with building a wood and canvas canoe (especially if you are only planning to build one).

In addition, a 10 foot canoe will surely be pretty sluggish if you are trying to get anywhere (especially with any kind of load)... but for chasing frogs, lily-dipping through the lily pads on warm summer day and just having a good time in a small canoe... a short little canoe is hard to beat!!

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 11:42 am 

Rollin is a well respected relatively local boatbuilder who appears at may local community events with a boat project in tow, even though those arent particularly portable!

Have paddled several of his boats though not the ten footer. It seems ideal for a stand up guy and more over a great cottage boat for guests and for kids

He is a trustworthy knowledgeable backwoods kind of person and not a salesman at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 12:45 pm 

I haven't met Rollin in person but have corresponded a few times by email. I've also read a lot of what he's written. Based on that, I'd certainly have no qualms about proceeding with anything you'd get, he knows his stuff.

I don't know if this would be possible for you Axel, but could you set up a temporary shelter outside to make your canoe? It seems a shame to limit your choice of canoe simply based on what you can get out of your shop rather than making a canoe that suits your needs ideally - it'll be a lot of work.

As for the form, a proper one is designed for mass production and it's more work than I'd want to invest for just one canoe. If it were me, I'd make a more light duty form on cross members like you'd use to build a strip canoe and then run slats along the length to define a shape that you can steam the ribs over. If you leave some space between the slats you can crimp the panks to ribs well enough to hold the canoe together and then finish the tacks once you take the canoe off the form. If I remember right, in one of Rollin's books there's a section on repair that should provide enough detail on how to go about that. All you really need is a moderately heavy piece of metal that you can put against the tack points to bend them over. I use a tool that was designed for doing automotive body repairs - you put it against the inside of a fender for example then use a hammer on the outside to reshape the metal. I haven't made an entire canoe like that but I'm quite confident that it should be fairly easy to do. Here's a picture of the body shop tools, in English it would be a "dolly" that I'd be asking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 1:39 pm 

What Rolf is describing,

Alex Comb of Stewart River canoe has written up in a book, he called it "Open Form" building.

http://www.stewartriver.com/builder.html

I didn't see any mention of the book on the site, but he does say that he will be demonstrating the method at this years WCHA Assembly.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 1:54 pm 

Axel,

A recent issue of Wooden Canoe magazine has instructions on how to build a "one off" canoe form, which is ideal for a project like yours.
A regular canoe form is as exspensive to build as the canoe you want to build, but this "one off" form makes it practical for a person like you who will be only building one or two canoes, plus it can be taken apart and stored in a small space when finished. It takes longer to build the canoe on the one off form, but not enough to make it not worth the effort. Also, you can alter the form from one canoe to the next to get just the canoe you want to paddle.
I can scan the artical and forward it to you if you would like.
I bought a set of plans for a wood canvas canoe from Carrying Place Canoe Works in Ontario, Ca http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.c ... anvas.html
I bought the plans for a Jacks Special, which is a 15 ft Chestnut Chum. The plans are set up for a stripper canoe but they include instructions on how to convert them to wood canvas plans.
They are nice folks to deal with, and the owner told me a few builders in Quebec used to use the "one off" form system to build canoes to sell.
Cheers,
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 1:58 pm 

Thanks for posting that Dan, I wasn't aware of the publication, will have to look it up. It should be the most practical way of building a "one-off" wood and canvas canoe. I haven't made a form but I'd guess there's at least as much work involved in the form as there would be in a canoe. Seems like an awful lot of trouble for just one boat.

The original poster (Axel/toolbox) lives in Germany so I don't imagine he''d be able to make the WCHA gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 2:33 pm 

seems like a perfect boat for your kids to play in, and maybe for dragging the old bikes and shopping carts out of the river

thinking of work vs end result---any chance you could rent a cheap crummy workshop area for 6 months while you build somehting bigger? You could make all the set up and strip work in your home and then do the lay up somewhere with a bigger window, or even a door.

the little blue tub is very cute though.

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 4:26 pm 

Alex Comb at
www.stewartriver.com
has a double video, first on building an "open form" which is a stripped down version of a typical form. The second video is how to build the canoe using the "open form". The Open Form is far cheaper and faster than building the typical form.

I think both videos are excellent and about $40 USD for the pair. I have the videos and feel confident that I or any other competent woodworker could build a decent canoe following Alex's videos. If not, Alex offers classes each year and the take away is a canoe of your own to take home. sounds like a great winter project, good luck with it, Axel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2007, 9:46 pm 

I would email Alex, Axel to get his materials. That and the material from Wooden Canoe that Robin will get to you should get you off to a fine start.

Its nice to hear that he will be at WCHA again this year(he was in 2006) doing demos in the open form. I had major conflicts last year and couldnt make the sessions.

Post subject: "The Maine Guide Canoe"
PostPosted: February 9th, 2007, 10:00 pm 

There is a description for a "one off" form or "open form" in Stelmok's book, "Building the Maine Guide Canoe" too.