It is currently August 14th, 2020, 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 10:29 pm 

Hey everyone, just looking for help on a project boat. First, I'm trying to identify it(Thompson?-because planking is parrallel to keel line). Second, I'm very comfortable restoring synthetic crafts, but have never tackled a wood project. The ribs seem to be in good shape. The planking has shrunk, but no rot. Gunnels need to be replaced. And, of course, new canvas. The specs. are as follows:Length-15'6", Beam-35"(inside)36.5"(outside),Depth-13", Ribs are 2" wide, Planks are 4" wide, Shallow arch hull, Moderate(around 3"?) rocker, re-curved stems, and finally Robertson screws(Canadian?) I know this is a tough question, but do you think this is a project to tackle or should I pass(sell). I already purchased the boat, but am looking for opinions of the seasoned forum members. Here's a couple of pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 11:49 pm 

Hey Ted, whatever it is, it's a "fix'er up'er". Maybe Jack or Rolf will have some idea of who the manufacturer is/was.

On the repair side. If you are at all handy with wood or open to learning it's certainly doable, you don't have to be a cabinet maker. You might want to look into getting a video that covers repairs like the one available here.......
http://www.nbcanoe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_118
....... 3rd from top, "Recanvas Your Canoe"
....... 5th from top, "Wood Repairs to Your Canvas Canoe"

I got both as a gift a few months ago (Thanks Jack !! :wink: ) and they cover the titles in some detail, be helpful if you decide to tackle it. I'm sure there are other vid's available from others as well.

If you decide to sell let me know, I might be interested.

All the best.......

Post subject: Huron?
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 6:30 am 

I'm guessing a Huron from the Bastien Brothers in Quebec. The arrowhead deck with the inwales fitted into notches in the deck was a common trait for Hurons.

It looks like a decent project. The canvas video mentioned above is helpful. There are also some great books on the process: "Building The Maine Guide Canoe" by Stelmok and "The Wood and Canvas Canoe", by Stelmok and Thurlow.

The Forum at the WCHA can get you through any project. Post some photos there for a definitive ID.

Let us know how you make out. :clap:

http://forums.wcha.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 8:01 am 

I'm with Fitz - looks like a Bastien Bros. canoe.

Cheers,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 8:04 am 

whatever it turns out to be it does look like a good project - I hope that you will post photos of the progression (pretty please) - I think it would be really neat to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 10:00 am 

Quote:
The arrowhead deck with the inwales fitted into notches in the deck was a common trait for Hurons.

If they are original decks but arrowheads were also a "quick fix" repair if there was rot in the inwales.

Any numbers stamped into the stems? That may help with an ID too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 12:08 pm 

The pics look like it might be one of the Quebec boat builders. Doesn't look like a Tremblant, but it might be a Faber. I'd be more inclined to think it's a Bastien though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 10:04 pm 

Hey guys, Thank you very much for all the information. Just with this new info alone I've got plenty of reading and research avenues. I'm running out of room for all of our boats(NOT complaining!), so may have to re-arrange some priorities to keep the day's boat choice simpler(downsize the fleet). I know I have a problem because I have a hard time letting go of boats. I can live with this addiction. Anyways, Thank you again for your appreciated responses.
Hey Jamer, I didn't see any ID marks, and thanks for the video links. I've already had a Chesnut and a Faber wood/canvas that I passed on fixing up because the amount of rotting wood in the ribs. It was a little intimidating for this wood newbie. Those boats were sold locally, so hopefully will see them on the water soon. This boat is in a lot better shape, but I am still apprehensive. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 10:49 pm 

Hi Ted,
you're welcome to borrow my copy of the video I sent the link for just to give you some idea of one approach to a fix. If interested PM me and we can work out the details.

Thought of that last night while wet sanding the Prospector's hull. Just in the process of ordering some gel through Western to fair out a couple of spots. Really pleased with it but considering a Pal for the # 1 boat, the Clipper may end up with a good friend.

Take pic's if you decide to redo, great fun to follow along............. :wink: