It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 8:39 am 

mmm Bryan and I are trying to decide whether we should add skid plates to our canoe - it is in its fourth year and there are some scratches but nothing serious..... anyway my question is.....

would it be better to add the skid plates or to do the scratch repairs instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 8:52 am 

What material is the canoe?

Personally, I usually don't put skid plates on until the canoe is good and scuffed up anyway. Makes it easier to get a good bond and you know exactly which areas need the most protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 8:56 am 

Rolf Kraiker wrote:
What material is the canoe?

it is the flexcore Kevlar from Wenonah - the canoe is burgundy and basically the scratches are just light pink - light scratches - nothing major (lol - mostly cosmetic at this point). I just wondered if we should hold off a little more or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 9:15 am 

If it were mine, I'd just paint light scratches to match and only put the skid plates on when/if it really needs it. I treat my ABS canoes a lot rougher than I would a composite so I've never put skid plates on one of those. I try to handle the composites like I would a cedar canvas canoe - the ABS just gets tossed around as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 9:21 am 

I'd have thought the knee-jerk reaction would be to get crash pads on asap. For any tripping canoe. Are there drawbacks other than minor performance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 9:38 am 

when Tom Watson over at We-no-nah arranged the canoe for us he mentioned that it was best to wait to put on the skid plates - I thought maybe that was because of the photography we were doing.

I've heard mention that they should be put on a canoe right away and then other schools of thought. Seems to be another one of those personal choice type things. Thanks for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm 

Depends on the use...

Seems you're "light" users... Not a lot of beachings/rammings, etc. So I'd wait until its more worn.

I had them put on my Winisk when new, anticipating wear that never really materialized. The downside was that they made little burbling noises when paddling so the canoe is never as silent as it could be... Something some people may notice (or not.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 2:17 pm 

[quote]Seems to be another one of those personal choice type things[/quote

If you put skid plates on a new royalex boat there is a good chance they'll pop off on the first serious impact. Wait until the outer vinyl layer wears off and some modest scratching has started and they will last a very long time (presuming you use good epoxy).

This also give you an opportunity to see exactly where the wear is going to be.

Like Rolf said, most people are careful enough with a composite boat that they generally don't need skid plates at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 3:46 pm 

I personally see no reason to put them on until you need to. Most paddlers can get a couple years of use before they really need skid pads. Then put them on. No sence doing it to a gelcoated canoe until there are lots of heavy scratches for the epoxy to hang onto. There is little likelihood that you will wear through far enough in ever a very long wilderness trip to worry about it during that trip. If you put them on when the canoe is new, then you have to replace them earlier.

My predominant Royalex whitewate canoe is 9 years old of hard use, and I just paint the ABS to keep it from deteriorating, and keep using it. On the Gelcoated boats, I patch gelcoat chips in the bow and stern with gelcoat repair kit from the local marine shop to keep water from working into the layup.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 4:25 pm 

PK..what type of paint are you using on the abs? Our club has one royalex boat that got dragged around the parking lot by a couple of drunks last year...they took it off the trailer, then one guy sat in it while the other guy dragged...gives new meaning to skid plates...anyway, I have patched the areas that went through to the core, but was wondering if regular marine paint would affect the exisitng abs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 4:49 pm 

As usual there are two schools of thought one is do it right away the other is only when needed,
WC in your case it appears that it should be the latter.

I have a foot in both camps. My ABS boat Novacraft 16 Prospector R lite I had the factory put on skid plates.
Both my composite boats are without.
My rationale is the ABS boat gets used on gradient rivers where a lot of bumping and grinding goes on, inspite of my claims of superior canoeing abilites :D
My tripping boat a 17'6 Souris River did get holed on the stem paddling a gradient river up north, a few years ago and has the patch but no skid late/bang strip.
If I was to take it on a similar trip I'd install them. On pool drop rivers I'd do without.
Bottom line is it depends on where you paddle.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 6:38 pm 

FWIW, Wenonah sells a video on their website on composite canoe repair. I have it, and think it's pretty good. It covers doing a gelcoat repair on a bow stem; also a segment on adding a fiberglass (or maybe kevlar - can't remember which) cloth skid plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 7:04 pm 

Thanks - didn't know about the video - I did notice that they can sell me a repair kit with gel coat to color match the canoe

I wonder if I should photograph the stages of the repair and post it here for others to see? any thoughts on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 7:40 pm 

My canoe is custom and hand-made, complete with skid plates kind of built right in. I've had my Nova Craft Kevlar 16' Prospector for over 10 years and I've had no problems whatsoever. I can ram that canoe into a shore and not worry about it at all. I've got plenty of scratches on the bottom of my canoe from logs and rocks under water that we couldn't see, but not on the bow or stern. I often think of fixing those, but those scratches tell a lot of stories.

I love my skid plates. :P

"To succeed you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality."

"The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 7:48 pm 

I think that would be a gret idea. A picutre is worth more then 1000 words!I have read a few posts on doing repairs, but always wished to see one in action....pictures would be just at good