It is currently September 18th, 2020, 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2007, 2:16 pm 

Feel free to share your experiences.

I don't think I've ever sat and paddled a canoe as a kayak from the floor. Kneeling, or sitting with one leg tucked under and one extended are my two most common positions and likely account for 99.95% of my paddling time.

I did try to paddle a canoe using a double blade paddle from the regular kneeling thwart... The reach and angle felt awkward to me in ways that largely negated the "natural" feel I get in a kayak.

This was definitely a secondary (nice to have) design goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2007, 2:33 pm 

I've used the seated on floor approach for students who have some disability issues with their legs. That sometimes also means students who began a style paddling course able bodied but wind up being crippled after too many hours kneeling on their legs :-)

While it's fairly comfortable, there are a few things you will notice. Your normal paddle will be too long. Your lower hand will probably be getting wet often. Your lower back will hurt unless you can rest it against a thwart.

Post subject: Next update....
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 9:38 am 

Spent another few hours on the "quick and dirty" prototype.

Finished cutting strips... Takes about 3 minutes to cut an 8' strip. This part is fairly slow unfortunately and is a function of my particular hot wire cutter design. Also hand feeding means some variation in thickness due to feed rate fluctuation. Not usually too severe. I cut my strips about 9/16" thick to allow for some of this variation.

Started stripping the hull. Started at the waterline and worked towards the bottom of the hull. The first strips took quite a bit of time. Say an hour total. But the rest go much faster. It takes me about 15 minutes to place one strip using the hot melt glue technique. Since the strips are 1" wide that amounts to a fairly good rate of progress in my opinion. I expect that there will be about 40 strips needed to do the hull. So it should take about 10 hours to strip it based on current rates of progress.

Some additional things were done which will add time. I placed 1/8" marine ply strip down the keel line on the inside of the hull to tie the ends of the strips to in the "football" area. I wanted to be sure of a good secure structure in that area.

When I get to the gunwales I'll also put 1/8" marine ply layers there to strengthen and stiffen them without putting a lot of stress on the hull bending hardwood gunwales into shape.

Will post pics of progress as time allows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 12:07 pm 

Finished closing in the football last night, took about 30 minutes.

Things have been busy.... But still optimistic that I'll get it done SOON. So far total working time is very reasonable. Even if the elapsed time is fairly lengthy.

Did some "sample" sanding to check things out and its going fair up nicely. I'm feeling more positive about this as I get farther into it. The strips are quite rigid with the compound shape being generated.