It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paddle Shack Mystique
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 3:12 pm 

Doe's any one have any feed back regarding thier own Paddle Shack) canoes. I just stopped by and they seem to have agood selection of brand name canoes. On a related note I have two canoes (Nova craft Pros. In Royaleex North Lights in Kevlar) I think the N.L. is damaged beyond repair. I paddled aBlue
water 16'6 and liked it, but found it a beast to carry. It seemed really stern heavy. Any comments. Thanks Bob. ( I believe I'm prone to Prospectors)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 6:37 am 

Which Paddle Shack are you talking about? The one I know doesn't have their own line of boats, they're a Cleawater Designs dealer.

www.paddleshack.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 3:47 pm 

Are you referring to the "Alchemist Canoe Company"? I'm not sure if it's the Paddle Shack 'house brand' of if they're just one of few to sell the brand. I haven't seen the boats myself, but a friend of mine says they are very nice. There's also a review here.

Visit Darren's Outdoor Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 8:15 pm 

Paddle Shack retails other brand of canoes but they have come out with their own line called the Alchemist as Darren has mentioned. (limited quantities) One of the owners of Paddle Shack, Jay, does the wood work himself and they are beautiful. Haven't paddle one yet, but some of them are built along some of the Swift canoe lines with their own modifications. (I believe Jay worked at Swift previously)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 7:04 am 

Yeah they were both at Swift I believe. Actually, when they left the service at Swift took a nosedive.

Cool to know, they never mentioned that Alchemist was *theirs*. They don't even rent them. Yeah, pretty boats. Never paddled one.

Post subject: Alchemist
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2007, 3:02 pm 

Sorry, it is an Alchemist I was wondering about. I talked to Chris at their Muskoka store. He seems like a nice person. I believe they now rent the Alchemist canoe. My kevlar did not withstand the winter, so I'm looking for a new canoe. I tried a Bluewater Saugeen 16'6", but found it very awkward to carry.It seemed very stern heavy. Anyway sorry for the confusion. Thanks, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2007, 7:51 pm 

The models of Alchemist canoes I was looking at were very very nice. The Legend is allegedly made from the original molds from the Prospector. Jay said he bought them and is positive they are the original molds. He said he took a little of the rocker off.

The kneeling thwart is has two bends so it is comfortable when you are offset. The fit and finish in these canoes is very impressive and I am looking forward to the first chance I have to rent one and give it a whirl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 9:05 am 

I bought an Alchemist "Myth" from Chris at the Oakville Store and it is a pleasure to paddle. Excellent agility and super-light. It is the first canoe I have owned and I was lucky enough to pick it up after it had been rented out only once.
When I see my buddies struggling with their canoes on the portage I'm glad I invested in the Kevlar---but no whitewater of course--it's not what I'm into yet anyway...