What you do is: "Take your 4 Clothes Pins, and..... " :lol:

Seriously Di, go to the nearest hardware store and buy a couple lengths of
Waterline Foam insulation... they're used for insulating Copper Pipes, and
come in 4 foot lengths... maybe couple bucks a piece. They're basically a
foam tube with a longitudinal slit. Work it over your Roofrack crosspieces,
and you'll be able to slide your Baby One the entire length of Baby Two,
without scratching Baby Ones, Baby threes. :lol:

Sundown

This is the most common method of protecting the canoe over here.

I glued the high density rubber to the trailer as i keep wearing through the pipe insulation foam. I normally drive 2 hours each way to paddle. UK has very poor access to inland waterways. Only 2% are accessible in England and Wales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 9:06 am 

Lady Di

Just a clarification. Think you know, but want to be sure.

Buy 4 lengths of the foam tubing, and duct-tape or tie-wrap one piece
to the front/one piece to the back, of EACH Roofrack crosspiece. These
allow you to slide the canoe up without damaging anything.

Once the canoe is in place on the Yukon, THEN place your Gunnel-foamies, and use these to cushion the canoe.

Leave the foam-tubing in place for the duration of your trip, to facilitate
the off-loading, reloading, and off-loading at home. Upon return, just snip
the duct-tape or tie-wrap, and its still good for next time.

Cheers

Sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 9:10 am 

Sundown wrote:
Lady Di

Just a clarification. Think you know, but want to be sure.

Buy 4 lengths of the foam tubing, and duct-tape or tie-wrap one piece
to the front/one piece to the back, of EACH Roofrack crosspiece. These
allow you to slide the canoe up without damaging anything.

Once the canoe is in place on the Yukon, THEN place your Gunnel-foamies, and use these to cushion the canoe.

Leave the foam-tubing in place for the duration of your trip, to facilitate
the off-loading, reloading, and off-loading at home. Upon return, just snip
the duct-tape or tie-wrap, and its still good for next time.

Cheers

Sundown

Actually I know what you are referring to..I bought such things to protect new trees I planted in my yard .

Assume you are saying put the foam with duct tape on the horizontal bars (ie the bars that run the width of the truck)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 9:15 am 

Lady Di

Yes. And, if you're going to the hardware store, grab the tie-wraps, as they
do work better. Use 4 or 5 per horizontal brace.

Course, ya may need a stepladder to get up there to attach them :oops:

Have fun, Di... and Happy Paddling

Sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 9:27 am 

An alternative to foamies for the cross rails when loading is a section of pvc pipe of the appropriate diameter with a slot cut along it's length. The pipe slips over the rack and gives a very tuff and long lasting skid for sliding the canoe along/over when loading........ no ties, no tape and they'll last for many, many years. Friendly to wood trim as well......... :wink:

If you know someone in the plumbing trade they could do up a couple for you from off cuts if not one of the handyman types here on CCR in your area might come forward to help a lady out. I'm a bit far away or I'd offer.

Ain't paddlin just the greatest...... you're already having an adventure and you haven't even left the yard. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 3:14 pm 

Great looking canoe you got DI. I bought my nova craft kevelar/spectra prospector in 94 and its stood up very well (combination fastwater/flat water). I ordered it with no keel, and vinyl gunwales. I have a cedar strip I made and didn't want to be bothered with a lot of wood trim on the prospector.

I've tried lots of different things on my racks , garden hose duct taped on with little wooden blocks to fit were the canoe is positioned , blue foamies with slots to fit over my racks, chunks of carpet for padding etc. Its the getting to the racks that has been a challenge from time to time

I think it should be possible to make a two piece rack attachment that would enable a person to unlock and slide one portion of the rack out over the side of the vehicle and fold down( kinda like a teeter totter) almost/or to the ground were the canoe could be loaded from say knee/waist height and secured. The rack could then be tipped back( counter weight system to help in lifting) up to its normal( roof) height and slid back into place and locked secure.

I know I've seen something similar for truck racks which you load from the rear of the truck but you still have to lift them up I believe.

Just thinking out loud :doh:

Been reading your other thread, have a great trip :clap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 3:26 pm 

lookinnorth wrote:
Great looking canoe you got DI. I bought my nova craft kevelar/spectra prospector in 94 and its stood up very well (combination fastwater/flat water). I ordered it with no keel, and vinyl gunwales. I have a cedar strip I made and didn't want to be bothered with a lot of wood trim on the prospector.

I've tried lots of different things on my racks , garden hose duct taped on with little wooden blocks to fit were the canoe is positioned , blue foamies with slots to fit over my racks, chunks of carpet for padding etc. Its the getting to the racks that has been a challenge from time to time

I think it should be possible to make a two piece rack attachment that would enable a person to unlock and slide one portion of the rack out over the side of the vehicle and fold down( kinda like a teeter totter) almost/or to the ground were the canoe could be loaded from say knee/waist height and secured. The rack could then be tipped back( counter weight system to help in lifting) up to its normal( roof) height and slid back into place and locked secure.

I know I've seen something similar for truck racks which you load from the rear of the truck but you still have to lift them up I believe.

Just thinking out loud :doh:

Been reading your other thread, have a great trip :clap:

thanks..I'm wound like a top now..so much on my mind but very happy to be almost there.

Btw, I think your idea makes total sense. make it, patent it and I'll buy a share in your new venture. It's a winner! (I'm not kidding)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 7:42 pm 

Don't worry, you'll forget all this when your sitting by your camp fire the first night with a warm drink in your hand, dogs at your side and the star filled sky coming right down to the water.

I'll have to get talking to my camping buddy the engineer and see what he thinks about the rack idea.

travel safe

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 6:48 pm 

so Lady Di ......... now that your back from your adventure I'm quite interested to know what you thought of your "Pal"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 6:49 pm 

so Lady Di ......... now that your back from your adventure I'm quite interested to know what you thought of your "Pal"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 8:28 pm 

lazy farmer wrote:

Hi
well I really liked it. I was able to port it without stopping for over 1200 metres -so it's light enough that I can carry it.

I was able to stand up in it, crawl into it (from my abandon ship routine), and I could paddle it in some strong winds without getting airborne.

I have 2 dogs - there's plenty of room for the 3 of us. I don't know if it's fast - I really have no perspective. I just know it works for me.

So, thank you for asking. I feel I made a very good purchase and can't wait to get it back in the water.
Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 8:39 pm 

Thanks Di!
Man ...... you really DID give it a good tryout! I'm renting a Bob Special from NC for weekend after next. I am going to buy a new canoe from them next spring (my retirement gift to myself) and am really intreested in either the bob or the pal, and maybe even the 15' Prospector. So thought I'd test the Bob and maybe test paddle the Pal in London the end of August. Thanks for the reply! (and I'm happy that you found the clothes pins useful, Siren will be soooo happy! LOL

Lazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 8:44 pm 

I considered the Bob - it was a bit small for what I wanted having the hounds and all.

I test paddled a prospector and found it had too much sail for my liking. I dont' have a family and didn't need the room.

So the pal worked well for me. It's slightly rockered and shallow arch (moderately) - I guess you can say its a series of compromises. Bigger than a Bob - smaller than a prospector.

But what do I know - :wink: