It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 9:54 pm 

Komatiq wrote:
Quote:
Help ..do I need to buy a little step ladder

Depends on how anal you are about that shiney new truck......... :wink:

One step ladder coming up :doh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 10:21 pm 

:lol: :lol: ROFLMBO :lol: :lol:

Kind of figured that might be your reply.......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 6:08 am 

Di this is a really serious issue, especially when you finish your trip and there are no neighbours to call upon to help. I have faced this on several occasions with a heavy canoe and large truck.

First, use a neighbour, other boater, kindly fisher to help... if there is an able-body around I would ask for help.

If not then what I ended up doing was I put a very thick folded comforter on top of my truck. I have a wide non-tippy painting step that I place beside the front side of my truck, but far enough away so that the canoe does not hit the truck when approaching it from the side. I shoulder the canoe, step up on the step facing the back of the truck. Now the canoe and truck roof are in line. I slightly turn my upper body and let the front of the canoe dip onto the blanket. Raising the canoe up off my shoulders I slide the blanket and tip of canoe already on the roof over to the far back corner, and then I slide the rest of canoe I am still holding onto, to the roof beside me.

I actually use foamies so I now put those on as I slide the blanket out from under and postion the canoe properly.

Maybe there is a right way to do this, but this is a method I ended up mastering as most times there was no one around to help me.

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/
http://photosbytessfully.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 6:29 am 
Excuse the thread hijacking.

The cost of living in the UK is pretty high. My local Tescos largest supermarket chain in UK is open 24 hours. Its the UK version of Walmart.

Public transport in my small town stops after 6pm. The trains run regularly but no buses.

Lady Di your garages are the size of my house. My house current value is £180000 GBP and i live in a cheap area. Most essential workers cannot afford to buy property now.

I am a short ass and manage to load my heavy plastic boat on to my SUV myself. I tip one end on the ground and walk under the canoe to the yoke and slide the canoe onto the roofrack. not fun in high winds. i have now bought a small trailer to transport the canoe. I just unhitch the canoe and walk it into the garage, Job done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:32 am 

forestknights1 wrote:
Excuse the thread hijacking.

The cost of living in the UK is pretty high. My local Tescos largest supermarket chain in UK is open 24 hours. Its the UK version of Walmart.

Public transport in my small town stops after 6pm. The trains run regularly but no buses.

Lady Di your garages are the size of my house. My house current value is £180000 GBP and i live in a cheap area. Most essential workers cannot afford to buy property now.

I am a short ass and manage to load my heavy plastic boat on to my SUV myself. I tip one end on the ground and walk under the canoe to the yoke and slide the canoe onto the roofrack. not fun in high winds. i have now bought a small trailer to transport the canoe. I just unhitch the canoe and walk it into the garage, Job done.

Hi FK and Tess

Thanks for interesting note re UK...I think we must be spoiled over here. I know I feel squished living in the burbs, but I hear the housing in the UK in general is as you say - expensive (wow!) and small in comparison.

Now Tess, I am not sure it will work. I have roof racks - why put a blanket over them?. FK, I think that is what I was figuring on...when I canoed with Rolf I saw him slide the canoe up on to the top of the van similar in fashion to what you desribe by balancing it on the back and then slowly pushing it up such that at a certain point it just gentlly slides on.

The only issue is I have wood gunnels and I thought if I did that it would be hard on the wood. I figured I would have to "place" it on the roof racks with the foamey's already in place.

The foamies are pre-cut (not sure of word) but the point is they allow the gunnel to sit inside them - not on top of them.

I think a step-ladder is needed to stand on with canoe (from rear of truck) and then turn canoe as Tess says and place on racks which already have these foam thingeys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:37 am 

It is a canoe and a Sport Utility Vehicle. a scratch on either one will not kill it, and it will only kill you for a short time. :D

The gunnels are tougher than you think and unless there are sharp edges hanging out of your roof rack hey won't get gouged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:41 am 

rob in angus wrote:
It is a canoe and a Sport Utility Vehicle. a scratch on either one will not kill it, and it will only kill you for a short time. :D

The gunnels are tougher than you think and unless there are sharp edges hanging out of your roof rack hey won't get gouged.

I think I am suffering from a serious malady known as "new canoe syndrome" and that is made worse by another very lethal virus called "new truck syndrome".

:oops:

Thks Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:44 am 

Lady Di wrote:

I think I am suffering from a serious malady known as "new canoe syndrome" and that is made worse by another very lethal virus called "new truck syndrome".
:oops:

No problem: you will be cured from both ailments when you come back from your trip.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:48 am 

Hi Lady Di,

I didn't realize you have roof racks. That should make it easier.

This might seem like a really dumb suggestion, but I wonder what would happen if you applied ski wax to the wood gunnels? Would that help alleviate the scratches...or would that help your canoe do a double twist somersault onto the highway with a perfect 10 landing, somewhere between here and Geraldton?

Good luck!

p.s. I also did not know that people used foamies and roof racks together.

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/
http://photosbytessfully.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:04 am 

Tess wrote:
Hi Lady Di,

p.s. I also did not know that people used foamies and roof racks together.

Me neither..but the dealer that sold me the canoe said to use these foamies with pre-cut slots in them (that's the word - slots!) so that the gunnels sit in the foamies which in turn are knotched to sit on the roof racks so that the gunnels are not flush on the roof rack or flush on the car.

He has put the FEAR into me - that I would damage the wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:10 am 
i think your GSD claws are going to scratch the inner canoe more than placing it on a roof rack.

i have added high density rubber taken from a quarry conveyor belt to protect my gunwales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:14 am 

forestknights1 wrote:
i think your GSD claws are going to scratch the inner canoe more than placing it on a roof rack.

i have added high density rubber taken from a quarry conveyor belt to protect my gunwales.

Yes GSD will be merciless especially if the canoe starts to tip.

The rubber thing...I don't get - are you saying you covered the gunwales with a conveyor belt (?)

I don't have any conveyor belts handy...maybe a pair of nylons will work or perhaps this is yet another application for clothes pegs 8)

Now, must go to work!
Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:18 am 

I've been using foam blocks on my roof rack since I first got my canoe. Works pretty good. Keeps the canoe from scratching up the racks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:19 am 

Di...

What you do is: "Take your 4 Clothes Pins, and..... " :lol:

Seriously Di, go to the nearest hardware store and buy a couple lengths of
Waterline Foam insulation... they're used for insulating Copper Pipes, and
come in 4 foot lengths... maybe couple bucks a piece. They're basically a
foam tube with a longitudinal slit. Work it over your Roofrack crosspieces,
and you'll be able to slide your Baby One the entire length of Baby Two,
without scratching Baby Ones, Baby threes. :lol:

Sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:26 am 

[quote="Tripper"]I've been using foam blocks on my roof rack since I first got my canoe. Works pretty good. Keeps the canoe from scratching up the racks. :wink:

Yes, but you were sensible and bought a wagon.
I still say step ladder.

Anyway, will make this part of my trip log...how fascinating :D

Thanks again
Cheers
Di

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next