It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 10:14 am 

I am looking to build/buy a canoe for tripping on open water and fairly easy flowing rivers, nothing Class II or larger (I have a canoe to use for this). Here is a list below some features I am looking for. I realize that I can't have the best every feature and will have to make some compromises.
- Capacity to carry 500-600 lbs. I know many canoes will do this, but many really bog down with the added weight. Beer is heavy. ;)
- As fast as possible. I would like to do distance with the least amount of effort
- Relatively stable, though would sacrifice a bit for speed. Want something that can handle chop relatively well
-Good tracking, though would like half decent maneuverability
- Cost is really not a big issue
- As light as possible as long as the layup is fairly tough, though it would not be bashing rocks in rapids at all.

I would love to build a cedar strip canoe. I have never done it, but have no qualms with doing it either, as I am quite skilled with wood. This may, or may not happen soon as life is real busy and any spare time now is taken up with getting away. I will build a canoe for myself some day though, for sure.

Failing not building a canoe, I will purchase one to suit my needs. I insist on quality though.

Please give any comments regarding these selections and add any others I may have missed.

For cedar strip I am thinking of from Bear Mountain are
17' Freedom
17'-9" Freedom
17'-6" RedBird
Are their any other plans from other places I should consider.

For purchased canoes these are some considerations. As I am not familiar with some of these brands, I may be missing some good options.
Clipper Jensen WW II
Clipper Sea Clipper
Clipper Tripper-S
Nova Craft Haida
We-no-nah Minnesota II
Bell NorhWind

My current canoe, which I plan to keep, is a Hellman 17'6" Prospector. I is great on rivers as it is made from Duralite which can handle a beating, and is fairly fast on open water until you add much of a load.

I would like to add to the list any boats I have missed, then whittle the options down to a couple of manufactured and cedar strip boats.

Thanks,

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"