It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gel coat repair
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 7:28 am 

long story - but our kevlar canoe was damaged - there is a hole or two, the size of the head of a hammer, in the gel coat. Thankfully, while you can see the Kevlar, that part wasn't damaged. We-no-nah can't send a color matched gel-coat repair kit across the border (frustrating) and I was wondering where I could find gel-coat up here that I could have color matched. Any suggestions? I was thinking auto-body supplier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 10:24 am 

I would try a boat repair shop. They do gelcoat repairs constantly. They probably mix their colours on site. Even if the manufacturer cannot send a kit, maybe they can supply you with a colour "code". Tthat would help the shop match colours as close as possible.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon, Beautiful Boy Everyone has a mountain to climb. Everyone has a wilderness inside. - Laurence Gonzales, Deep Survival

http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 10:28 am 

YackYackYack wrote:
I would try a boat repair shop. They do gelcoat repairs constantly. They probably mix their colours on site. Even if the manufacturer cannot send a kit, maybe they can supply you with a colour "code". Tthat would help the shop match colours as close as possible.

Thanks for that.

Actually We-no-nah is sending the color code for me - which is really super of them. I'll look up boat repair shops... not sure if there are any in my area so if anyone has a recommendation I am all ears. (or should I say eyes?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 11:27 am 

Try Rhonda Sheperdson at Mid-Canada-Fibreglass (Scott/Bluewater),
and say Hi for me... used to coach her daughter (curling).
They're in New liskeard/Temiskaming Shores, and could ship your kit
to any trailhead outlet nearby you.

And, tell her i'll need a Little sundown Yellow, myself... just did the Makobe :lol:

Sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 11:41 am 

thanks - will do - it would be great if they could ship to me - going anywhere to pick anything up at this point is a bit of a pain

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 4:14 pm 

Hi W.C., If its just "gel coat "and not structural damage you can also check a bathtub repair service in your area.

We manufacture prefab homes and use their services from time to time. The guy that fixes our tubs mixes it right on site and colour blends it to match and then buffs it out.

He told me one time he does a fair bit of work for friends of his who have had accidents with their canoes.