It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 7:21 pm 

Hi there,
I found a great 2001 post on this here site:

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 2&forum=20:

I have a beast I found a few years back, and I have been reading "Canoecraft" on and off to figure things out.
The plate reads "Muskoka Fine Watercraft" and is a two-person rowing skiff. It might be patterned after the St Lawrence skiffs; I'm not sure, perhaps built in the 70's or 80's.
The oars are beauties, with leather cuffs, brass oarlocks and spoon blades. The hull, however has major delamination going on, and so far I have stripped the inside skin and laid a coat of epoxy on to seal the wood.
The original build seems to have been done with barely enough resin for the job, as the wood doesn't look like it absorbed anything. Perhaps it was polyester resin: I dunno.
Thanks in advance if you, dear reader, reply with any epoxy/strip restoration experiences. I have used epoxy for repairing, but not as a major project like these hulls.

Regards,
firewood

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 9:15 am 

I know several of the builders who were with Muskoka Fine Watercraft. My guess is the skiff was built during the mid eighties. I'm not a builder myself. But have hung around with a few, long enough to know that on the inside of the canoes they are careful to not use more resin than required in order to keep the weight down. Don't know if that would apply to the skiffs. I have a MFW Sundance 17ft stripper in my "collection" that weighs 54 lbs, and I have had zero problems. Try this guy for advise, he was with MFW during that period and may have built that skiff.....
http://www.muskoka-canoe.brackley-boats.on.ca/
As to the post you refer to: That strippers are fragil has not been my experience. I have owned 2 at various times, both were used extensively for tripping for 30+ yrs. When properly built, they are no more fragile than any other fiberglass or kevlar canoe. Possibly stronger imo. A nice benefit is that all the scratches, bumps can be made looking new again with a fresh coat of varnish!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon, Beautiful Boy Everyone has a mountain to climb. Everyone has a wilderness inside. - Laurence Gonzales, Deep Survival

http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog

Post subject: Muskoka Fine Watercraft
PostPosted: August 13th, 2007, 9:14 pm 

Thanks for the info: much appreciated.
The link you supplied shows a "17' Brown" design with very similar layout to the stripper I have.
Regards
Firewood.