It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scratches ?
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 8:51 am 

Have a few scratches on my new kevlar canoe , not deep at all, just very lite . But was wondering if there is something I should be doing to them. And if I ever get a deep one what should I do.

Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 9:46 am 

Yep, keep using it. You have several options... you can apply 303 protectant occasionally, and not stress it. You can polish them out, but this actually thins the gelcoat just like polishing auto paint does. Finally, when they get bad you can fill them. There are gelcoat repair kits available from many manufacturers. But they rarely match well, and are usually a pain in the butt. You can just fill big scratches with auto repair putty, and paint with enamel spray paint and call it good.

Just use it , and enjoy it... if you store it inside, you need only worry when you get a big gouge down to the fabric, the rest of the little scratches are no big deal.... You'll get more.... hopefully many more!!!

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 9:50 am 

Thanks PK...so I am not going to do anything re.these little scratches.
I don't baby my canoe...but am careful !! Couldn't enjoy it if I was worrying all the time about a scratch !!

Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 8:06 pm 

Hi Debbie, these scratches are called 'character marks' and what you need to do is make up stories how each mark was acquired. The smaller scratches only need to be encounters of a minor nature, such as kissing off a rock because your bow partner wasn't paying attention .......... ... but the large scratches need to have serious or even life threathning stories attached to them.

Nice to see you're getting out and enjoying your new canoe.

cheers and have a great day.

moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 10:42 pm 

Thanks Mo...mmmm..stories about scratches !! well I can think of some great stories !! lol..
Yes I am really enjoying my new canoe...she is great !!! Went for a nice ride on the Kam River today...soooo beautiful..weather is very hot !!
Hope ur having a good summer sweetie...

Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 11:02 pm 

Loopy weather..two weeks of tropical heat and now we are back to fleece! The high was around 55 except for the mountains where it was 42.

Looking forward to the heat, Debbie. Probably when I get there it will snow..

dont worry about the scratches until they get to the kevlar and you see fuzzy stuff. Thats quite a bit down the road.

But I understand your concern. Its kind of like a new car..that first dent is awful..but in a canoe you knew it was going to get scratched.