It is currently September 18th, 2020, 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Simple removable yoke
PostPosted: August 12th, 2007, 8:23 pm 

I thought I would post my removable yoke solution here for others to see. Before doing mine I searched here and found several very elegant solutions, but I just didn't have the patience to manufacture the parts needed so I opted for a simpler (but much uglier) solution.

The reason for the removable yoke is so I can have a centre seat for more pleasant solo paddling in windy conditions (and maybe more control if I ever learn some solo paddling technique).

I used the original yoke with new holes drilled, two carriage bolts (squared shaft by the head to lock into channels in the aluminium brackets) and 1/8" thick 1" aluminium angle iron for the supporting brackets.

Here is a picture of the yoke installed. Note I also added a thwart about 15" forward of the removable yoke.

Here is a picture of the one side locked in. I had to add a strip of wood to give the locking knob clearance from the gunnels. On this side, the bolt is in a strait hole through the yoke. To install, the square shaft of the bolt slides into a slot in the aluminium bracket.

On the other side, the bolt fits into a slotted hole, so the bolt can slide out of the way of the bracket as I slide the yoke in place. Once the yoke is in place I snap the bolt into the slot and tighten bolt bolts down. In this picture you can see the bolt at an angle with the edge of the bolt shaft resting against the outer edge of the bracket.

Now I need to test it out.

Fred

Edit: forgot to add, after testing everything for fit and cutting the bolts to length, I pounded the ends with a hammer to flatten them a little so the locking knobs won't fall off. No parts to lose that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2007, 7:05 am 

How is the aluminum bracket attached to the canoe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2007, 7:39 am 

Nice work. I made a similar thing for a kayak, but you definitely took the time to make a better yoke than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2007, 8:01 am 

I did a similar thing for a quick and dirty yoke for my tandem folding canoe. I used a yoke with shoulder cups placed over the gunwales, and a simple piece of ash measuring 1/2"x3/4" by 6 inch long, with a hole drilled in it, and nylon thmb screws to tighten it against the yoke on one end, and cammed up under the rail on the other. The solution was quick and dirty carried well on the 12 miles of portages we did last week, and spun off in seconds when the canoe went back into the bag for the ride home.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2007, 3:24 am 

GWA, the yoke is the one that came with the canoe. I don't know that I would be able to make a decent custom yoke, though I am tempted to try so that I can get a better fit..

I hope to get out on the grand this week with my drop in center seat to see how my prospector paddles from the center position.

Fred