It is currently September 18th, 2020, 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 12th, 2007, 11:24 am 

Hi all,

I have a fair bit of experience canoeing but I know very little about canoe design.

I have an Uncle who has built many kayaks and canoes. He sold all of the canoes he built but recently purchased one back. It was one of the first boats he built. It's a little rough around the edges (craftsmanship wise) but still a beautiful little boat. The person who bought it 24 years ago, used it approx 5 times and then stored it under his cottage for all this time. The boat looks as though it's never been used with the exception of a few scratches and dings from being shuffled around in storage. When my uncle found out that I was looking for another boat he offered to sell it to me for the same price that he paid to get it back.... lets just say that the word "song" is a good description of what I paid for this boat. He was just happy that it is staying in the family and that it will get used.
The canoe is a 14' tandem cedar strip that was built on a design from Gil Gilpatrick's book. I believe the particular model is called the "puddle duck".
Does anyone have experience with this design? I had a chance to take it for a quick paddle before putting it away this fall and it was a whole lot different than my 17' Evergreen Maple (for obvious reasons)
Will this boat serve me well as a solo boat for my usual tripping style? (Algonquin / French River / Temagami / 4 to 5 days / not too strenuous)
I'm worried that it's more of a short hop river canoe than it is an open lake canoe. I was in it with no packs etc and it seemed to sit a little high and turn on a dime. Definitely a fun boat but I think it will take some getting used to.
I plan on doing a few mods and refinishing some sections but I don't want to pour too many hours into her if she won't perform as I need.
I currently have it stored at my Dad's place but I will post some pics in the future.
Any info on this particular boat style would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2007, 4:45 pm 
Jason, I have no knowledge of the Puddle Duck other than a friend of mine happens to be building one right now.

Excuse me for being so direct, but it seems to me with your obvious experience the questions you are asking simply means you need to spend a little time in the canoe and you will have all your answers. I don't think anyone else's experience with this canoe is going to truly answer "Will this boat serve me well as a solo boat for my usual tripping style?"

" Definitely a fun boat but I think it will take some getting used to. "

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Donny

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2007, 9:36 pm 

Jason I agree with Donny..also I am sure you have experienced the difference in performance with a given craft when unloaded and when loaded. Some boats were made to paddle with a load and can feel wild when unloaded.

I tried a Super Nova at a FreeStyle symposium this fall. It was the first time I had seen one. Empty it was a spinning fool. I thouught "Why do people find this a good solo boat even on flatwater; all it wants to do is turn". I suspect that it was because the load sinks the boat and a different waterline hull shape comes into play.

So unpack it and put some stuff in it. You may find it a different beast loaded.

For more feedback on what kind of boat it is I suggest sending your story and pictures to gil@mint.net and info@gilgilpatrick.com. I know Gil and believe that he would be willing to advise you on is it a Puddle Duck and if so what's a good use.

I am betting that given the environs he works in its a river boat/lake boat. There arent many lake to lake routes in Maine but many river routes with lakes in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 2:37 pm 

Donny wrote:
" Definitely a fun boat but I think it will take some getting used to. "

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Donny

You're right. I'll just need to put some hours in on the water and judge its tripping worthiness. I really need to get a load into it and put it through it's paces.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 2:45 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:

For more feedback on what kind of boat it is I suggest sending your story and pictures to gil@mint.net and info@gilgilpatrick.com. I know Gil and believe that he would be willing to advise you on is it a Puddle Duck and if so what's a good use.

I am betting that given the environs he works in its a river boat/lake boat. There arent many lake to lake routes in Maine but many river routes with lakes in them.

Interesting and thanx a bunch for the contact info. I'll definitely get in touch with him.
Once again, CCR forums comes through.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 2:26 pm 

Hi Jason,

A friend and I built a few of Gils designs. We built three ( white design) river canoes and the puddle duck.

The puddle duck packed with gear seemed to plow more through the water (flat water travel) when tripping which made it seemed slow( just MO). Don't get me wrong, its a nice little canoe. :D

I have a few books by Gil and find them easy to read and understand. Nice part is , he's very approachable. I called him and had a nice talk with his wife when ordering a book. If your having a problem with a project you can call him up and he will help you through it. He's been a Master Maine Guide for something like 40 years so he knows what he's doing.

Makes a lot of his own gear , from canoes to wannigans to reflector ovens. I enjoy his books.

Regardless of what you use it for, you've got a nice little canoe built by a relative, hard to put a price on that.