It is currently July 15th, 2020, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 12:21 am 

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive post. the pictures and details are appreciated. This canoe was on my list & liked the idea of S&G for the same reason as you - ease and speed of build. It looks like I'll re-think that.
Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 4:41 pm 

Ewout wrote:
BTW I told John Winters I could send him my modified offsets but he showed not much interest.

Well then, maybe it's your design now. Sounds like you've made enough mods to make it unique. Probably shouldn't call it the "Osprey II" though.

How about the "Ewout"?

Folks here seem interested enough. You just might get filthy rich like all the other canoe designers in the world. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 11:21 am 

Stitch and Glue can be an easy and fast way to build a canoe when the plans are oké. Even possible without the need of stations.

When comparing buildingtechniques for amateurs:
A stripper has its own special apeal to a lot of people, some call it lovingly
' The Poormans Yacht' . But this expression also reveals to me its pretentious character.
A Canoe is a Canoe.One of the most simple watercraft there are.
In S&G I like the modest simplicity:
You can see what you get.
Its not trying to be a Yacht or a fancy peace of furniture.
It looks if it can cope with a scratch here and there, and that its ment to be used.
That gives me a sense of freedom, I like.
This sence of freedom can also reflect in aspects of the design, such as not using an outer gunwale.

I,m considering some more alterations, for example making the toppanel about an inch higher in order to cope with waves better. Maybe in the bow- and stern section even more. Also for better looks.

I apreciate any comment, or input on the canoe.
We might design an 'opensource' canoe together.
I,m thinking of that idea.

In that case woold it be nice if John Winters also joins in...

Ewout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 12:00 pm 

Ewout wrote:

I,m considering some more alterations, for example making the toppanel about an inch higher in order to cope with waves better. Maybe in the bow- and stern section even more. Also for better looks.

I apreciate any comment, or input on the canoe.
We might design an 'opensource' canoe together.
I,m thinking of that idea.

In that case woold it be nice if John Winters also joins in...

Ewout.

Better watch out you don't end up making it into a kite with no apparent gain in seaworthiness. Look at established heights in other designs and be sure you don't go higher than the norm. 24" in the ends and 15" amidships is really high so I'd keep it well below that. For looks, you have to consider how the sheer line flows, and that will be strictly lots of looking and your own good taste. No use making an ugly boat if function allows for beauty. :wink:

An open source stitch-and-glue is a wonderful idea. You already have found out that the hard part is in getting the thing to fold up without gaps or overlaps. Also, getting the chines into advantageous spots.

Sounds like you're already a designer at this point. If John wants in, lucky you, but if not then I'd proceed as you have been. Another good guy to check out is Nick Schade of Guillemot Kayaks. He's a real careful and helpful guy, even if he is mostly into the wrong kind of boat :lol:. I'm sure he'd point you in the right direction. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 3:47 pm 

I apologise if Ewout got the impression that I was ignoring him. I didn't need his offsets because I was working out the problems with that boat here. Using a different method for creating and expanding the panels in my program I was able to solve things. The latest S&G boat that I did (a kayak for Noah's in Toronto) practically fell together. Joints were tight and it required fewer stitches because each panel was fully developable and required n twisting or forcing.

I developed some easier ways of doing things in the process so it was a worthwhile effort.

The problems we encountered with earlier boats seemed to be from the program swearing the panels were developable when they weren't. Discussions with the software creator homed in on the problem and now I am on track and confident. I have to admit I was losing confidence big time with these boats because some seemed to go together fine and orthers did not. All for no obvious reason.

As for an open source canoe design you have to avoid getting a camel from too many opinions. If one follows the discussions here the first thing one discovers is that few people agree on much of anything. :D

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 4:18 pm 

Sounds like good news on the design front!

So, when can we expect a set of plans for a new S&G solo canoe? ;)

Tony

Post subject: osprey too
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 6:08 pm 

I am building the osprey II. When i cut out the panels, they didnt fit. right 1 of them came out grossly long. I made them look really good though. Ive been going nuts till i found this site!! I measured and measured a 100 times!! I couldnt see what i had done wrong , Thanks for the pics!! I found another site on the" better homes and gardens" site with nice pics as well, I would love to have the corrections to the plans if anyone could get them to me id appreciate it!! love to see some more pics. Mine will be soon. Putting on in/out wales as we speek, i saw a pic of a slider seat how did that work out???

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 6:30 pm 

Hope I don't offend anyone, I bought plans for this one. What ya think?

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... d=Sas16-33

Coogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 4:56 am 

coogs wrote:
Hope I don't offend anyone, I bought plans for this one. What ya think?

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... d=Sas16-33

Coogs

Looks good. Plenty of panels for a good shape. Use lightweight building techniques of be prepared for the weight to be higher than Matt has specified at 45-55lbs.

I had Matt draw up a sailing canoe to my specs several years ago. Igot carried away in construction andit wound up around 80 lbs!

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 8:24 am 

That Sasquatch looks good, especially for a stitch and glue canoe. I was also impressed with the looks of Mad's Osprey II. I'm still thinking that the next canoe on my list is a cedar strip Osprey.

Hey John - while your working on stitch and glue kayak plans, can you include one with a 27" or 28" beam and enough cargo volume to carry the gear for a 4-7 day trip without having to strap stuff all over the deck?

I helped my buddy build an Endeavour sea kayak a few years ago, and it looks great, but the one trip we've managed together since he finished it required me to carry half of his gear in my canoe because it just wouldn't fit in the kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 8:30 pm 

Hi

As it happens I too have been idly looking for a solo canoe to build, and I came upon this:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/ostli ... /index.htm

which explicitly says it is a S&G version of the Osprey. Don't know if any have been built, but the drawings look good.

Kinguq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2008, 3:37 am 

kinguq wrote:
Hi

As it happens I too have been idly looking for a solo canoe to build, and I came upon this:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/ostli ... /index.htm

which explicitly says it is a S&G version of the Osprey. Don't know if any have been built, but the drawings look good.

Kinguq.

I guess I read that a bit differently as he says it is "inspired" by the S&G Osprey II.

I can't tell how true it is to the source of inspiration from the rendered drawings as shown but I don't think I would want to be the first fellow to build the prototype for him.
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 5:52 pm 

AW shucks, You mean I actually inspired some one?

I don't think the tumblehome is as difficult as it seems and I think a solo boat without it is not so easy or fun to paddle but that is just me

I think Newfound Woodworks can sell you a kit even though they don't advertise it on their web site.

The S&G kayaks should be available from Noah's in Toronto sometime later this year. It will be a line of 5 or six boats. They don't seem inteested in doing canoes at this point.

John Winters