It is currently October 23rd, 2020, 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 9:04 am 

What alternatives have you used to fill canvas after stretching and attaching it to the hull?

Has anyone tried an automotive product called Slicksand? Made by Evercoat. It is a sprayable polyester filler used for high build on metal or fiberglass. Used where a large surface needs to be starightened and in lieu of body filler.

Thanks,
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 9:17 am 

That stuff is a catalyzed polyester resin in spray form. It will harden up like epoxy and make the canvas easy to crack when it should be pliable. It will also glue the canvas to the planking if applied heavily. I don't feel that such products have any place on a fine W/C boat but that's just me, I tend to err on the side of traditionalism.

Post subject: Filler
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 10:16 am 

Some folks use cecofil, but I haven't tried it and can't comment.

There are a few recipes for filler here at the WCHA website:

http://www.wcha.org/build_restore/filler.html

Post subject: local hardware
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 10:36 am 

I've found that white latex paint (primer) thickened with coloidal silica (west system or cabosil) applied with a bristle paint brush...trimmed to 1 inch long bristles...works well. Work the thickened paint into the weave with the brush, then a canvas mitten to get a smooth finish. It takes about 4 weeks to cure nicely before painting. When your thumbnail no longer leaves a scratch in the filler it's time to finish paint (red of course). Home Hardware polyurethan (rust) paint over works well, never had any flakes or cracks...it stays pliable.

Before any filling or painting i always "rot proof" the canvas with clear rope/canvas preservative. Great for preventing rot under the keel, stem and gunnels. Takes a week or so to dry out completely.

Total recanvas/finish time...2 hours to canvas...4-6 weeks to get the finish on. Lol (labours of love).

ralph

ps The bible for repairs of wood canvas canoes is "The Wood & Canvas Canoe" by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow

where i found the above tricks and many more :P